Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "SHAtter" Will Jailbreak Every iDevice including iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, and iPad

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Correct. If you have to reboot while away from the computer you will be stuck till you get home.

When you are on a tethered JB it is always best to wait to install anything till you get home because if it messes up and causes you to reboot then you will be stuck.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

For everyone complaining about shatter being a tethered jailbreak, just use your cell phones wisely (a duh!?) and if it's really that but of a deal, then just stay with "star" until shatter becomes untethered

Blackra1n was my First jailbreak, and it never crapped out on me when I wasn't near a computer.. But I only listen to music when I'm out of my house

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwickone View Post
    OK, maybe a newbie question from a non-newbie. If this is a tethered jb, and i am away from my computer, and my phone hangs (something all phones do on occasion, and probably moreso when you tweak it with jailbreak apps ), is the phone useless? Or does it still operate?

If it is useless until you can get to your computer, I will not be using a tethered jb.

Thanks in advance!

The Blackra1n tethered jailbreak would leave you hanging on "connect to itunes" recovery mode. So no ipod nothing.....
    So this would resemble something of the same. But the untethered came quickly and keep in mind, that if an exploit is found the day a "major" firmware upgrade is released.....we are in good hands and who knows they might just drop an untethered jailbreak and blow us all away!
    Just show support and not hassle the team. that's all we can do

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

^That is way too boring. If anything I'll just toss one of my older models in my bag/truck and popl the sim in it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Correct. If you have to reboot while away from the computer you will be stuck till you get home.

When you are on a tethered JB it is always best to wait to install anything till you get home because if it messes up and causes you to reboot then you will be stuck.
    Or buy a netbook and keep that bad boy with ya!!

Can someone quickly explain to me what it means by a Tethered Jailbreak and a Untethered Jailbreak ? Whats the difference ?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LordGeek For This Useful Post:

Nelly998 (2010-09-10)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

^It's been explained at least 3 times in this thread alone. Lazy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LordGeek View Post
    Can someone quickly explain to me what it means by a Tethered Jailbreak and a Untethered Jailbreak ? Whats the difference ?
    A tethered jailbreak means you cannot boot without connecting it to a computer (when device is powered down or dies) as it stays in a connect to itunes recovery state and the jailbreak is what boots it out. Untethered means the iphone/ipod jailbreak is independent of computer, and it can boot itself.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tremerone For This Useful Post:

LordGeek (2010-09-10)

Quote Originally Posted by LordGeek;
    A tethered jailbreak means that every time you reboot the iDevice (whether you actually reboot, you run out of battery, or you have to reboot from installing a cydia app like winterboard) Your iDevice will not be able to work until you plug it into the computer open the jailbreak program and hit jailbreak and wait for it to reboot back. It can be quite a pain in the a** if you install a cydia app that needs a reboot and your not near a computer. But tethered or not a jailbreak is a jailbreak so its ultimately worth it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnowLeo For This Useful Post:

LordGeek (2010-09-10), tremerone (2010-09-10)

Thank you Tremerone and SnowLeo // Now was that so hard Paganizonda83 instead of wasting a posting.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LordGeek For This Useful Post:

SnowLeo (2010-09-10), tremerone (2010-09-10)

@LordGeek Well, maybe it wasn't that hard to answer your question, but reading the whole thread (which obviously you didn't do) filled with the answer to the SAME question (which I already knew) was a bit of time for me...

So, instead you could at least add a little "sorry, but.." to your post...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to emresumengen For This Useful Post:

mortopher (2010-09-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emresumengen View Post
    @LordGeek Well, maybe it wasn't that hard to answer your question, but reading the whole thread (which obviously you didn't do) filled with the answer to the SAME question (which I already knew) was a bit of time for me...

So, instead you could at least add a little "sorry, but.." to your post...
    Dude! 9 pages deep.....I wouldn't want to read that. I would rather get my response and get back to having sex with the wife!

ps. I read the first page...and the last...if I see people needing help at the last page and they are without a response...I help a brother out. It's no stress.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tremerone For This Useful Post:

LordGeek (2010-09-10), Nelly998 (2010-09-10)

That's good news bro

So let me start by saying Im a noob when it comes to apple in general... I have two ipads one is on 3.2.1 the other is on 3.2.2 . I got the idea on how all this teathered and unteathered stuff works but my question is will this jail break work on the ipad that is on 3.2.2 or will i have to wait until november for the 4.1 to comeout for the ipad.

also I would like to thank the jailbreaking community for making this all possibal

Thanks

@Onyx024

This exploit is a "hardware" exploit. So the firmware that you are on will be irrelevant! Apple would need to change the hardware to defeat the jailbreak.

ps. As the jailbreak would be made available to the most recent "big" firmware release!
    Last edited by tremerone; 2010-09-10 at 04:02 AM.

Cool beans

Latest Project: iEvo HD4 TrueHD iPhone4 theme. ~~~ Click Donate to support my theme's!

Quote Originally Posted by JayQuint87 View Post
    Cool beans
    COOL beans

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So is the "tethered/untethered" aspect going to be the only difference in the jailbreak for iOS 4.1? Are there any significant bugs to be worked out with this tethered jailbreak?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone4idiots View Post
    So the article states it is a tethered jailbreak which "is an initial starting point for all new untethered exploits to come as well."

Am I correct in assuming the dev team would probably wait to release an untethered jailbreak and it likely will be at least a month as there is still much work to be done.

Can't wait as the proximity sensor is annoying and I want Game Center, but no way I'm giving up my jailbreak.
    Some questions.

1) What is Game Center?

2) How is a jailbreak going to fix your proximity issue?

3) Why is this jailbreak such good news? Maybe I'm missing something here but I am jb on the iphone 4 currently w/ 4.0.1.

Thanks for the help....just trying to get up to speed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad711 View Post
    Some questions.

1) What is Game Center?

2) How is a jailbreak going to fix your proximity issue?

3) Why is this jailbreak such good news? Maybe I'm missing something here but I am jb on the iphone 4 currently w/ 4.0.1.

Thanks for the help....just trying to get up to speed!
    You just get out of prison or what? Did they convict you of being lazy?

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast