Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "SHAtter" Will Jailbreak Every iDevice including iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, and iPad

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ramicio View Post
    Tethered means you use a computer to jailbreak it. It will be jailbroken for life, so why would you need to connect it to a computer on every reboot? It's not the same tethered that applied to the 3gS. Untethered means something like jailbreakme, done OTA.

No, just paranoid that a hacker could insert code into a web-based jailbreak.
    No, tethered means you need to run code on it off a computer to boot it up when ever you turn off/ respring.
    If it was what you thought, then what would be the point in releasing a untethered one later?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

this is the news i love to here

haha I love being quoted!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Nobody cares about a tethered Jailbreak, its just not usable. Having said that, I suppose it is necessary in the way of "progress". Wake me when 4.1 has been jailbroken untethered so it's actually usable.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay316 For This Useful Post:

lol_release (2010-09-09)

thanks dev team always a step closer.
    I dont blame them for not launching it yet as EVERYONE complains with like the jailbreakme lines across the screen and this not working or that not working. now everything might think twice and respect the dev team for all their work which has been done.

Great news for the tethered jailbreak and always a step closer. but I cant upgrade to that as I am always on the move up and down country and going places or meetings which phone needs to be off. imagine everyone goes to a movie theater and all jailbroken when its finished cant boot up phone be funny actually. but as said Thank you always a step closer cant believe after 24 hours we are here...

I wouldnt bother rushing dev team as im sure people will only moan about something like this isnt working or that isnt working.

I take it if the code is injected into the A4 chip then if you restore it I hope it will still go back to standard im hoping a jailbreak for life is like an old iphone 3G is at the moment..

cheers

Awesome work Devs!! I'll keep sitting patiently until it's released, I can only imagine the amount of work and time everyone puts into this.

I do have a question for everyone though. I hate updated and re-jailbreaking because I have to go download everything again and put it back to the way I want it each time I upgrade. Is there a way to back up everything that I have done to my phone so I can do a quick SSH or restore or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Nobody cares about a tethered Jailbreak, its just not usable. Having said that, I suppose it is necessary in the way of "progress". Wake me when 4.1 has been jailbroken untethered so it's actually usable.
    first off, what's the deal with the entitlement issues? Go screw yourself if think a tethered jailbreak isn't good enough for you.

secondly, do you know how many jailbreaks have been untethered? How long have you been jailbreaking? Nearly all the jailbreaks have been tethered.

finally, you can expect usability and stability from whatever method of jailbreak is available because IT'S ACTUALLY BEEN RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC.

I hope you're a troll and not really that thick.

& GJ Everyone involved with the latest discoveries behind jailbreaking the latest firmware. Thanks for your time and effort.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossrossross For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (2010-09-10), Centauri (2010-09-10)

Might take some time but I think it's gonna be well worth the wait. Thanks for all your great work. It's much appreciated
    Evol n out

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Chill out, I did say a tethered jailbreak may be necessary, but its hardly useable e.g if you don't have access to a computer and you have to reboot your phone you are screwed, hardly useable.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rossrossross View Post
    first off, what's the deal with the entitlement issues? Go screw yourself if think a tethered jailbreak isn't good enough for you.

secondly, do you know how many jailbreaks have been untethered? How long have you been jailbreaking? Nearly all the jailbreaks have been tethered.

finally, you can expect usability and stability from whatever method of jailbreak is available because IT'S ACTUALLY BEEN RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC.

I hope you're a troll and not really that thick.

& GJ Everyone involved with the latest discoveries behind jailbreaking the latest firmware. Thanks for your time and effort.
    How many have been tethered???

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lol_release View Post
    that's what tethered means? every time we reboot we have to re jailbreak?

they must be joking who would put up with that LOL
    You have been around almost a year now and a tethered jb is still a mythical beast to you? Wow.
    Actually, untethered works the same way.

Difference with an untethered JB is, the stuff needed to break it (and execute unsigned code) runs right out of your flash.
    With a tethered JB, it has to load through USB- which effectively means a PC (unless you have a magic dongle. Or ...)

The feature I've really missed with tethered JB would be the ability to serve a tethered JB from another iDevice.
    Not currently possible, since i* only have USB client, not host.

This could be a game changer. (iPad Camera Connection Kit)

At least on the iPad it provides standard USB host services; if Dev Team don't have these to play with yet, I think they might have some fun :3

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    Awesome work Devs!! I'll keep sitting patiently until it's released, I can only imagine the amount of work and time everyone puts into this.

I do have a question for everyone though. I hate updated and re-jailbreaking because I have to go download everything again and put it back to the way I want it each time I upgrade. Is there a way to back up everything that I have done to my phone so I can do a quick SSH or restore or something?
    Download the package called pkgBackup from cydia.

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    How many have been tethered???
    if you count "nicely packaged public releases" not too many.
    if you count "JB exploit discovered/tested/discussed amongst the developers" I would imagine quite a few more.

Not every JB sees the light of day. I suspect that's a good thing, since not every one of them is useful or usable. I'm distinguishing "exploit" from "JB" here by virtue of one being theoretical, and the other actually working.
    Last edited by raduga; 2010-09-09 at 11:36 PM.

Where did you get the info about it being teathered? I follow alot of devs and not one has said if its teathered or unteathered even the blog points this out. So if you dont really know dont guess. If you do than thats good cause not even the devs seem to know which means you are one step ahead of them. This is not meant to put the article down just to point it out.
    Last edited by Ngmead; 2010-09-09 at 11:40 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I applaud the dev team.
    A tethered jb is awesome however I probably run vanilla to maintain reliability

ME Love you all my BROTHERS in D-T & MMi
    THANKS for you'r hard work, hope i could do something for you guys

100000000000000000 times THANKS and good luck.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Tethered JB is only a (very) minor annoyance to me. I almost never reboot my device anyway. Do most people reboot often?

Quote Originally Posted by rossrossross View Post
    I agree that the guy you responded to was acting like a self-entitled jerk, but this info you are passing on is not really accurate. The vast majority of past jailbreaks were, in fact, untethered. I think the problem here is most people's understanding of a tethered jailbreak. A "tethered jailbreak" is one that requires a "fresh" jailbreak via docking cable after every reboot of the device, not simply a one-time jailbreak that uses the docking cable to get done...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 2010-09-10 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

AUZambo (2010-09-10)

Since this is claiming to be a permanent jailbreak, I think apple will just block jailbroken devices from future updates leaving us all sol

It gets evermore interesting with each new exploit

Sweet!
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast