Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Activation Without Original SIM Card

Quote Originally Posted by tee349 View Post
    Hey gang, just bought an iPhone 4 32GB bout an hour ago from BestBuy. Paid the no commitment price ($761 with tax, ouch). Changed a few things in iTunes, plugged it in, said no thanks to the Register screen -- viola -- activated.

Give this a try:
    1. Edit->Preferences. From there, at the bottom of the General tab, change the language to English (United Kingdom)
    2. Go to the iTunes store. Scroll to the very bottom, click "Change Country" under the "Manage" heading and change your country to Canada.

Restart iTunes, plug your iPhone in, and see what happens.

I figured this out after planetbeing said his iPhone 4 activated automatically in his iTunes hassle free. He is, however, from Canada, and hence his iTunes is probably set accordingly.
    I had my hopes up until I get the activation screen back... Didn't work...

So I went ahead and sold my iPhone, after all the drama of trying to get it up and activated.

Will hunt down an unlocked version and take the plunge. At least I won't have to go through the whole jailbreaking and unlocking headache to start using it.

;/

So in the end this method is not working at all...well at least for us...Damn there must be a way to pass this damn activation screen...

Hey gang, just bought an iPhone 4 32GB bout an hour ago from BestBuy. Paid the no commitment price ($761 with tax, ouch). Changed a few things in iTunes, plugged it in, said no thanks to the Register screen -- viola -- activated.

Give this a try:
    1. Edit->Preferences. From there, at the bottom of the General tab, change the language to English (United Kingdom)
    2. Go to the iTunes store. Scroll to the very bottom, click "Change Country" under the "Manage" heading and change your country to Canada.

I figured this out after planetbeing said his iPhone 4 activated automatically in his iTunes hassle free. He is, however, from Canada, and hence his iTunes is probably set accordingly.
    it worked for me...I changed the country in itunes to India and said no for registration which got the iphone to the home screen

Quote Originally Posted by kiba283 View Post
    So I went ahead and sold my iPhone, after all the drama of trying to get it up and activated.

Will hunt down an unlocked version and take the plunge. At least I won't have to go through the whole jailbreaking and unlocking headache to start using it.

;/
    after 8 months waiting for any of these 'hackers' to unlock a goddamn phone I also gave up, once I can activate it (my DITS phonebook card is on its way) I will sell it and get an unlocked iPhone, I'm tired of all this unlocking-jailbreaking-egohot-devteam ****.

[quote=mdanjum30;5351663]
    Quote Originally Posted by grajasekar View Post
    I can find it on eBay India for the equivalent of $4 lol..

but has anyone confirmed it working on an iPhone 4?[/QUOTE

please be careful it it only activates your phone does not unlock as to be used with any SIM
    Well, duh.. that's what this topic is about isn't it??

Obviously it only activates it.. not unlock it. You can't use any SIM card except a new AT&T SIM from AT&T with a plan to use it as a cellphone.

Give this a try:

didnt worked for me either. Still thanks for the tip.

I may be wrong but I think this is working for people who have bought the phone at the no commitment price

There are 2 kinds of Iphone 4's in the USA, one that is bought through Apple and one that is bought through another party like AT&T or Bestbuy. The iphone 4's that come direct from any Apple store are locked to the original account holders ID (SS# etc), the other kind are not locked in the same way. If you get someone that knows what they are talking about at AT&T they will tell you this. So this is in fact an Apple problem and it is really annoying. The above iphone 4 was bought from BestBuy, so it would be easier to activate. Still waiting to activate an iphone 4 I was given as a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by leftbrain View Post
    There are 2 kinds of Iphone 4's in the USA, one that is bought through Apple and one that is bought through another party like AT&T or Bestbuy. The iphone 4's that come direct from any Apple store are locked to the original account holders ID (SS# etc), the other kind are not locked in the same way. If you get someone that knows what they are talking about at AT&T they will tell you this. So this is in fact an Apple problem and it is really annoying. The above iphone 4 was bought from BestBuy, so it would be easier to activate. Still waiting to activate an iphone 4 I was given as a gift.
    Purchased mine from CL and the guy bought it from ATT. So I'm on the same boat. I'm waiting for my DTS simcard in the mail...

Default FROM APPLE USA you need ORIGINAL AT&T SIM - FROM OTHER USA you need DITS

Give this a try:

I have a MAC so the steps are a little bit different for #1.
    System Preferences --> Language & Text --> British English (you might have to edit the list if it cannot be found)

Issues with step #2. I have a Credit Card issued by a United States bank. I tried to change my iTunes Store region settings to CANADA but it wouldn't let me since the billing address for my CC is not in Canada.

Any workarounds for Step#2 ? Did my workaround for STEP#1 achieve the same goal as doing it on a WINDOWS based computer and directly on to iTunes?

Quote Originally Posted by leftbrain View Post

Please correct my Hypothesis based on all the posts in this thread so far.

iphone = iphone 4 throughout the post.

--If you have purchased the iPhone 4 from APPLE STORE USA you would have already gotten your phone activated at the store or when you first plugged it into iTunes.

-->In case you decide to restore/upgrade your iPhone OS you will need the same exact sim card that was given to you when the iPhone was purchased. In a case where you don't have the original sim card that activated the iPhone, you must purchase the DITS Phonebook Card as mentioned here in this thread in order for you to activate and get passed the emergency screen.

-->If you have another AT&T sim card or purchased a unactivated AT&T sim card, iTunes will ask you for SS# and other information. If you cannot provide these information, you won't be able to activate.

--If you purchased the BRAND NEW (sealed,unactivated) iPhone directly from AT&T/BESTBUY then any AT&T sim card will work, even the DITS Phonebook Card. If you decide to use your own AT&T sim , it will not ask you for other information unlike the AT&T iPhone that was purchased from the APPLE STORE. But you will have to set iTUNES to CANADA?

Please comment on my thoughts.

Now you guys got another one new here on the same boat, iphone 4 bought from ebay, never activated. Tried all methods and still can't get passed that damn activation screen. Also ordered the activation sim(hopefully will arrive on monday) and will see what happens.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mindblown's Avatar
    Thanks

Give this a try:

haha this actually works!! thanks for the tip
    bought the iphone 4 today july 25 at apple without contract
    living in hawaii (oahu)
    went home change the itunes language to UK and change the country to canada,
    plugged in the iphone and it got activated

Default Doing The Reverse
    I Acutally cut my old sim card to fit the new micro sim card in it... this allowed me to still use my 3GS... that way if i ever need to use MyWi i can simply swap out the sim card from my iP4 back to my jb 3GS
    "Search" is your friend

Unhappy DITS card not working
    Quote Originally Posted by jj0ez View Post
    Now you guys got another one new here on the same boat, iphone 4 bought from ebay, never activated. Tried all methods and still can't get passed that damn activation screen. Also ordered the activation sim(hopefully will arrive on monday) and will see what happens.
    I also brought mine from ebay (think it is brought from Apple Store). I also tried all and today I recived a DITS Phone Book Card 3-in-1. But it is not working. Ends up white a white screen with a apple logo. Any suggestions?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Budweis View Post
    I also brought mine from ebay (think it is brought from Apple Store). I also tried all and today I recived a DITS Phone Book Card 3-in-1. But it is not working. Ends up white a white screen with a apple logo. Any suggestions?
    I have a 3gs bought from ebay, and it came with an AT&T unactivated sim card

usually this does the trick, when my phone isn't unlocked yet, my t-moible sim can't activate it, so i use an AT&T sim card to do so.
    i lost my old one, but i bought another one from ebay for around $4
    it was something like this
    BRAND NEW AT&T 3G SIM CARD NEVER ACTIVATED CINGULAR - eBay (item 350332270081 end time Aug-20-10 16:14:14 PDT)
    hope that helps

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ro0oney For This Useful Post:

Budweis (2010-07-30)

Wink Thanks!
    Thanks for the advice. I try. I just paid for a AT&T card on ebay. Hope it will work from Europe

Thanks

you should try the itunes method, worked for me.

Default ITunes method
    Quote Originally Posted by mindblown View Post
    you should try the itunes method, worked for me.
    Did you have an AT&T simcard in the Phone whene using this method?

My Phone is a no commitment Phone brought from Apple (USA) with no simcard. I broght it from the buyer via ebay. When I try the Itunes method I get the message "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supportet" in iTunes. I also tryed with the DITS 3-1 PhoneCard but nothing happens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Budweis View Post
    Did you have an AT&T simcard in the Phone whene using this method?

My Phone is a no commitment Phone brought from Apple (USA) with no simcard. I broght it from the buyer via ebay. When I try the Itunes method I get the message "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supportet" in iTunes. I also tryed with the DITS 3-1 PhoneCard but nothing happens.
    First of all did u change the settings on iTunes?
    Nope i didn't have any sim card in it to activate with the iTunes method, once I bought the phone from apple(no contract, just the phone), went home open the box, open iTunes with settings already changed, connected the iphone4 and it got activated, it passed the emergency screen. And to see if it actually worked, I turned off the phone and turned it back on and it works just fine, it was still activated.
    Also I don't have any contract with AT&T, I'm on tmobile so I can't do anything with phone but music and playing games, I'm just waiting for the jailbreak/unlock tools to be release
    I'm currently using my 3g iPhone already jailbroken/unlocked

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast