Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bernstein Research Places iPhone 4 Recall Price Tag at $1.5 Billion

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Consumer reports has turned into another news agency that wants to increase their public strength and at any cause... They should smack them selves also for their initial review stating things like... best reception ever... So in a nut shell their product which is to test and report... was flawed as well... Yes they fixed it but in the media world their time from error to fix is like dog years... They don't have a financial or stock or engineering dilemma to correct... Just a few key strokes... Bad on them... (yes bad on apple) but bad on the reporters who will face no financial setback for an error...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThomson View Post
    Why do people think like this!

You should not have to have a bumper/case or ever worry about how your holding your cellphone.. there ment to be held in your HAND!

i should be able to hold the damn thing with both hands and dial with my nose and have no problems!!

Dialing with noses isn't going to affect the reception so I'm sure that's perfectly acceptable - go ahead.

I really don`t give a **** who on here that thinks this is can be fixed with tape, case or what ever. The facts are, I have two Iphone 4 setting here. My iphone 3G got signal here 80% of the time, never more than one bar, but when it had a bar, it worked.. These phones are showing two and three bars, and I can`t make a call. Text comes and goes. I noticed while sometimes talking on my Iphone 4, when I go to hang up, there is a app running, that I must of hit with my check while talking. I really like the new phones, and hope they can fix some of these bugs with an update and I can work around the death grip thing ( which is real on both of our phones) but when it is laying on the table showing two bars and can`t make a call, what good is it, just well have a psp laying there. One Iphone 4 16g, one iphone 4 32g, Family plan for two years, is a pretty good chunk of cash. Hell Yes, I expect Apple to make it right, and I don`t want to hear wrap your phone in tape, rubber or anything else!

I personally think these annoying complaints. I read somewhere that there are only a few thousand complaints and Apple sold 1.7m iphones 4. The ratio is not even 1%. and people suggest a recall? It doesnt make any sense! I bet there are people just exaggerated because they are in rural area! My iphone 4 has never had a signal problem since I got it on jun 24! If the iphone 4 signal problem get on your nerves, just buy an android phone and stop whining like a baby! People dont buy the freaking iphone to just make call! The iphone actually make your life easier with all other functions. And it is still the best phone in the market for all those functions!

Quote Originally Posted by goodgod2 View Post
    LOL love your analogy ! Some people just dont get it through their thick skull that this is Apple's problem and they have to fix it, not the consumer. But some of the people here( just buy a case and stop complaining), these kinds of people who excepts what ever life give them, will chose the first option and maybe the second.
    A shift stick that causes stalling is actually a safety hazard. The reception issue with the iphone 4 isn't. The analogy doesn't apply the same way.

Also, for the people believing 4.0.1 has been released: Comex never stated that it has been released. The nevalie guy is the one making the statements.
    Last edited by skolpo; 2010-07-14 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skolpo View Post
    A shift stick that causes stalling is actually a safety hazard. The reception issue with the iphone 4 isn't. The analogy doesn't apply the same way.

Also, for the people believing 4.0.1 has been released: Comex never stated that it has been released. The nevalie guy is the one making the statements.
    not being able to take your car out of park is not a safety hazard... last time i checked my car sitting in the driveway hasnt harmed me in any way.. but it does render the car usless.. which is what hes trying to get across.

stop trying to bash things that make perfect sense

and multiple people have claimed to talk to people that have said its been released not just one twitter post... theres been lots of times when an update was released and itunes kept telling me i had the latest update
    Last edited by MikeThomson; 2010-07-14 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyT1987 View Post
    I think people are mad at the fact "if you cant duck it, f**K it", or buy a case with a phone that SHOULD work with no problems, but either way, when you put into logic you should buy a case to protect your costly device, but sometimes when I'm home or playing a game, I dont want the case interfering with my game play.

The Iphone 4:
    - a phone that: Apple spent a year to make.
    - a phone that: Supposed to be the predecessor to the 3g and 3gs
    - a phone that: Supposed to have a better design, but requires duck tape lol.

The only thing I'm pissed off is: DID THE DESIGNERS AT LEAST TRY TO MAKE A CALL WITH THIS S**T BEFORE GIVING IT THE OK TO START MASS PRODUCTION? I MEAN ANYONE WORKING WITH THE PHONE COULD'VE SAID "HOUSTON, WE GOT A PROBLEM...WITH THE SIGNAL" LOL.
    maybe they did a majority of their testing with those camouflage cases? or maybe the issues are due to the mass production of the phones.

Apple should replace the ones that have issues, or at least make sure the sim card isn't faulty..

We have 2 i4's and both show no issues with the death grip... but i have a friend who's reception goes down.

My question is, why can't apple replace a phone, if you bring two phones in, hold them both with the same hand, yet one drops service, and the other does not, its obviously not the users fault, the whole thing about apple is, they release a product, and the user decides how they want to use it, there should be 100's of different ways to hold the phone.

And putting a bumper on the phone does not solve the issue.. the i4 is a gorgeous piece of equipment, why cover it up? i've loved how each phone has felt with nothing on it, and the iphone 4 is no different.

Having a case again is a user decision, 75% of everyone i know with iPhone's prefer their phone with no cover. and 23% of them just can't afford to replace it if it ever were to break. the other 2% just like to be different, and not have the same phone as everyone else. (usually females who carry their phones in their purse instead of their pocket)

Besides the new aluminum body is part of the reason i bought the phone, it looks amazing when next to the ipad, mbp, and imac's, and completes the overall look and feel. Why would you want to put a rubber band around it? For that i would have just kept my 3gs, it was fast enough, and had no reception issues.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThomson View Post
    not being able to take your car out of park is not a safety hazard... last time i checked my car sitting in the driveway hasnt harmed me in any way.. but it does render the car usless.. which is what hes trying to get across.

stop trying to bash things that make perfect sense

and multiple people have claimed to talk to people that have said its been released not just one twitter post... theres been lots of times when an update was released and itunes kept telling me i had the latest update
    If that's the case, the car wouldn't have been able to leave the dealership to begin with. And if something is rendered useless from the get-go, then of course it'll be recalled. The IPhone 4 works perfectly fine while at times it doesn't. There's a HUGE difference in the comparisons. If you don't see the difference, I'm not going to spend time breaking it down further for you. Comparisons have to be absolute or the comparison doesn't work.

"multiple people have claimed to talk to people that have said its been released"

What else do I need to say?
    That tweet was over a half-day ago and yet no one has personally installed the update themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushy4u View Post
    Let me rephrase that. No one gives a rats *** about recall except iphone users. At least not to this extent. And ofcoarse your going to post a link showing me otherwise. Also, why are you commenting every 5 seconds on this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushy4u View Post
    Its a great phone. I dont give a **** if when I cup the entire thing with both hands it loses signal. I use my right hand to talk. Use a bumber if you like to cry. Or even go buy another phone.....every phone has problems. You dont see other phones recalling when they have a problem.
    So we should all go buy bumpers and that solves the whole thing? Grow up, Apple screwed up and they should fix it. If I bought one and had these problems I would simply keep returning it until I got one that worked right.

Quote Originally Posted by skolpo View Post
    If that's the case, the car wouldn't have been able to leave the dealership to begin with. And if something is rendered useless from the get-go, then of course it'll be recalled. The IPhone 4 works perfectly fine while at times it doesn't. There's a HUGE difference in the comparisons. If you don't see the difference, I'm not going to spend time breaking it down further for you. Comparisons have to be absolute or the comparison doesn't work.

"multiple people have claimed to talk to people that have said its been released"

What else do I need to say?
    That tweet was over a half-day ago and yet no one has personally installed the update themselves.
    By trying to be an *** to the guy you've completely missed the point of why he posted it. His point is you shouldn't have to buy something that should have worked without another product. Who cares if the comparison isn't perfect stop trying to pick apart every little detail and look at the main point.

Quote Originally Posted by robertr1 View Post
    By trying to be an *** to the guy you've completely missed the point of why he posted it. His point is you shouldn't have to buy something that should have worked without another product. Who cares if the comparison isn't perfect stop trying to pick apart every little detail and look at the main point.
    I've never questioned the recall. I'm just pointing out the comparison... geez. And how am I being an ***?

As for the main point, I do think that the defective IPhones should be refundable as long as they can evidently show the employees that the issue exists with their phones. As for a complete recall... not a chance.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sLevin1fo's Avatar
    F**K YOU, IM FROM TEXAS (So Original, HUH?)
    Thanks

I use a BT. It's Twenty-Ten guys, get one!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm surprised to see so many people that are willing to settle for a quick bumper fix and convince themselves they wanted one anyway.
    This product line's reputation alone should be enough for a consumer to expect a functionally working device without add-ons.
    Apple are not dealing with this very well at all. I live in Australia, the device is not here yet. Everyone I'm telling potential buyers here to wait, there's no point taking the gamble on getting one that works, see how Apple addresses the problems first.
    I'm still unsure in my mind what the causes of these issues are.
    If it were a design fault, wouldn't every device be affected?
    Are they all not made exactly the same way?
    Why do some work and not others?
    How can a software update fix a hardware issue?
    I'm not the smartest person around, so I need a little help understanding. Apple's response and lack of action really is laughable.

I don't see a recall in the future. The iPhone 4 does work as a phone as long as you don't touch the lower left black strip. Also it is not a health hazard. Unlike their wall chargers which they did recall a few years ago due to a potential fire hazard.

iPhone 4 won't be recalled. It might be designed a bit different in the next generation but that is as far as it will go.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrobins View Post
    An 'Apple' branded strip of duct tape would cost less than $1.5 Billion.
    Lmao!

i dont think it would cost as much as stated if the apple stores were shipped some type of clear acrylic to spray on the antenna to coat it. just mask off the front, back and buttons and spray away . quick and cheap fix

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

For those that care, Scott Forstall, the Sr. VP of iPhone Software at Apple has joined twitter tonight. On a verified account, mind you. Should be interesting to see what spews from this tweeter.

Follow him on his name @Forstall

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Pretty good article.... Has some truth to it... as I stated a while back, the soft fix could have some truth. As an explosive master tech we have had issues with GPS on some devices similar (no we don't death grip missiles lol) and software has fixed the signal/connection issues) So perhaps this could work. bottom line is we just need to wait and see if it will work.

Bottom line is if it does work Consumer Reports should feel the pain... Deification of character is a dangerous thing... Also they should be more careful on their reporting... initially they stated its the best reception yet... weeks later after possibly reading some of the posts on MMI (LOL) they changed their stance...lol

Here is the article

CNET - Apple has an ally; Electromagnetic engineer says Consumer Reports iPhone 4 study flawed | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews
    As iPhone 4 hits seem to keep piling up, Apple finds a friend in an electromagnetic engineer and self-described 'mobile topic expert' who claims that Consumer Reports failed to provide a truly scientific test of the antenna issues facing Apple's iPhone 4.

According to Bob Egan, Apple may not be entirely to blame for poor iPhone 4 call quality.
    (Credit: Apple)
    Bob Egan, now a technology blogger and Global Head of Research & Chief Analyst at the TowerGroup, claims that the Consumer Reports study that had the popular independent customer advocacy group unable to recommend purchasing iPhone 4 has many inherent flaws and can barely be counted as scientific.
    Egan writes, "Bottom line. From what I can see in the reports, Consumer Reports replicated the same uncontrolled, unscientific experiments that many of the blogging sites have done."
    Egan also wonders if the issue is even entirely Apple's, supposing that AT&T could share some of the blame for the signal variance and call dropping problems that have since become endless blogging fodder for every technology website reporting on Apple's affairs. "We also don't know if placing a finger on the antenna bridge is detuning the antenna or detuning the receiver itself."
    Since this issue has come to light, I have carefully monitored my own 3G reception while using iPhone 4. My conclusions, though completely unscientific, are that while I can replicate the signal bar indicator issue (where the number of bars drops significantly when covering the antenna gap on the lower-left of the device), it does not seem to affect call quality or cause any dropped calls. That would lead me to believe that the indicator problem is a result of a software miscalculation and I fully expect a software fix to silence this issue for good.
    So the question looms, who do you believe? Has Consumer Reports done its due diligence in testing iPhone 4 or did it miss some steps along the way that would make the report more valid? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!

Here is the link to the article above... Apple has an ally; Electromagnetic engineer says Consumer Reports iPhone 4 study flawed | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

heh... i went to the Apple store in Lenox mall (GA) with these japanese people i was having over to stay a week in the US. i picked up an i4 and went so lemme show you a magic trick. i did the signal thing and after half a minute the signal had dropped to 3 bars from the previous 5 and they were like "ehhhh!?? SUGOI-NE!!!"

anyways i haven't had a problem with mine... (i had gone to the store to pick it up actually)
    -btung

i gotz this whole coding thing down

looks like the white iphone wont be release for a while....

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast