Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple: No Death Grip, Bars Displayed Wrong

iPhone? More like MyPhone ddfilms's Avatar
    Thanks

This goes to show that this is not just an iPhone issue.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amPG52DVQuk&feature=player_embedded#[/ame]!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaDE941PzQk&feature=player_embedded#[/ame]!

You know, I can actually deal with the "death grip" issue. The issue I am having is that my i4 does not get as good of a reception as my 3GS. I used to get 3G and stream music and what not at home and at work. Now I am getting Edge.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Quote Originally Posted by nicksti View Post
    I have owned and used many phones and hold it in my left hand in the same "death grip" fashion and never had that issue.

HTC Touch
    SE P1
    SE Vivaz
    BB Javelin
    iPhone 2G
    Several dumb phones

I will word this very carefully: This was not a problem in the previous iPhones like Apple is claiming. This is the first time I am hearing about a death grip wrt any iPhone. If the problem existed it did not exist on this scale. No way.

All things point to one truth: It is a hardware issue.
    There is certainly an issue, but I doubt you tried this with any of your other phones... because it's already been proven that it does occur. Here's my Verizon one as well
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHR4pkdlIjc]YouTube - BlackBerry Storm with iPhone 4 reception issue[/ame]
    Really?

Apple is in the process of destroying an image they have worked so hard to build over the last decade. They need to admit that "some" people have been experiencing reception issues, proximity sensor issues, etc. And explain that quality control issues will always exist especially when dealing with highly complex technologies such as the iPhone and make it known that they are committed to ensuring complete satisfaction to all their customers and will continue to work to improve upon their product.

Give out free bumpers to people who can replicate these issues at a Genius Bar or At&t store, replace phones, or accept returns and work to make their phone better. Short term sales margins are way less significant than long term brand image and customer satisfaction ratings. I think Steve Jobs ego and stubbornness are finally becoming his undoing. It's a shame really. This has the potential of truly degrading the quality of products we can expect to get out of Apple in the years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    My god, some people just LOVE a consipracy, no matter what the situation.

Anyone else notice a significant connection between those screaming for lawsuits, etc and those who've got Windoze listed as their operating system?

Me thinks there's a bit of self-loathing going on.

"Man, I just knew if I caved and bought an Apple product, I'd be screwed".

Most of this is little more then self-fullfilling prophecies.
    you're an idiot.

Default All iPhone 4's have the issue! ...explained
    Here is a what I posted at Apple.com ...which was quickly deleted:

Yes, the formula has been wrong since the original iPhone release in 2007. Why, you may ask. Probably because Apple let AT&T give them the formula in the first place (which is where the new formula is coming from also). More bars looks better and sells more phones/service. Nobody wants to buy a cell phone that constantly sits at 1 or 2 bars but one that sits at 5 most of the time - hmmm, "I always get great reception!"

So, it was originally set that 5 bars would indicate even though signal would have been better represented by 2 maybe 3. Yes this needed to be fixed - STEP 1!

Now the other issue is with antenna attenuation. As proven by a couple tests already showing obvious numerical decibel (signal strength) numbers, that the "magic spot" on the lower left when touched causes antenna/signal issues. The amount of decibel (signal) loss by making a conductive connection here is UNACCEPTABLE! No other phone has ever been proven to see such a great loss of signal with just a touch at a single point. The antenna needs to be coated in a non-conductive material which does not affect signal reception (yes, there are products available out there that can do this) in order for this issue to be resolved correctly.

This "issue" affects everyone's iPhone 4! Let me say this again THIS ISSUE AFFECTS EVERYONE"S IPHONE 4!

Just because you may still see 5 bars and don't see the signal loss like some people it is not because your phone is unaffected. It is only because the formula being used to show the bars is incorrect. The area you are currently testing your phone in has a really good signal. Now, if you were in an area with less signal but still indicating five bars (which at many times you will definitely be in) and you do this you will notice the signal drop and possibly the complete signal loss shown by some.

This is a representation of what we would see (it is not accurate, just a representation):

Signal Percentage as indicated by OLD Formula and NEW formula.

% - Old Bars - New Bars
    100 - 5 bars - 5 bars
    90 - 5 bars - 5 bars
    80 - 5 bars - 4 bars
    70 - 5 bars - 4 bars
    60 - 5 bars - 3 bars
    50 - 4 bars - 3 bars
    40 - 4 bars - 2 bars
    30 - 3 bars - 2 bars
    20 - 2 bars - 1 bar
    10 - 1 bar - 1 bar

So, looking at this with the current formula being used a person with 100% signal, "death grip's" the phone and loses 60% of the signal he may still see 4 bars (40% signal). Another person with a weaker initial signal but still showing 5 bars - let's say initially at 60% signal, "death grip's" the phone and too loses that same 60% signal will then show "No Service". Same phone same problem, just depends on how strong your initial signal is whether you notice the amount of signal drop. With the new formula being implemented it will be more accurately displayed, but it doesn't solve the problem. We are all going to be in weak signal areas during the course of owning our phones. The AMOUNT of signal drop is what is unacceptable. Yes, all phones will show some signal lose, but no phone should show this much!

In conclusion:

1) Fix the formula so the bars indicate accurately.
    2) Coat the antenna to reduce as much as possible the signal attenuation/loss from conducting across the two antennas.

then:

3) Seems like you also have a major issue with either hardware, software or both with the proximity sensor.
    Last edited by bzpilot; 2010-07-02 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ddfilms View Post
    Here is where you will have to swallow a now very bitter pill if you are defending the iPhone:

On page 18 of the Nokia E71 manual:

"Antennas
    Your device may have internal and external antennas. As with any radio transmitting device, avoid touching the antenna area unnecessarily while the antenna is transmitting or receiving. Contact with such an antenna affects the communication quality and may cause the device to operate at a higher power level
    than otherwise needed and may reduce the battery life."

So you are correct about the Nokia E71, but the difference between Apple and Nokia is now apparent. Nokia knows this in advance and prints it in the user manual.

What is Apple doing again?

This is a lie I just bought my iPhone 4 10 seconds ago and the death grip happened and I could not make a call. I did the sim trick with taking it out and putting it back in I realigned the metal and now I have full service! The bars aren't displayed wrong it's a flaw in the design
    Synchronizing...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Something doesnt make sense. When I am home, in 'excellent' coverage, I always get 5 bars. Travel to mom's house, 2 minutes by car, to 'good' coverage and get 1 bar out in the yard. IF they update the bar reporting, saying they have 'been two bars too high', what will I have there now? Negative 1 bar? No service?
    It's supposed to be 'GOOD' coverage there, yet she's thinking of returning her new 3gs, it's that bad. Her Samsung Rugby worked perfectly, so it is NOT AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by DeMoN100 View Post
    This is a lie I just bought my iPhone 4 10 seconds ago and the death grip happened and I count make a call. I did the sim trick with taking it out and putting it back in I realigned the metal and now I have full service! The bars aren't displayed wrong it's a flaw in the design
    Just because your sim was misaligned originally and you got back service by aligning it does not mean the bars are indicating incorrectly. You may still be in a weak service area that may be better represented by say 3 bars rather than the 5 that you are seeing.

Yes, sim misalignment has been a known issue also, but it really doesn't explain the "death grip". Wait to the software update comes out and then EVERYONE with an iPhone 4 will see great signal loss. Those with a low signal to begin with (still possibly indicating 5 bars currently) may lose service completely, those with actually good service signal may only lose a couple bars - but the amount of lose is too much in either case. It is something that should be fixed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMoN100 View Post
    This is a lie I just bought my iPhone 4 10 seconds ago and the death grip happened and I could not make a call. I did the sim trick with taking it out and putting it back in I realigned the metal and now I have full service! The bars aren't displayed wrong it's a flaw in the design
    If 10 seconds ago, that means your still at the counter. What did they have to say?????

iPhone? More like MyPhone ddfilms's Avatar
    Thanks

Why is it that only people in the united states seem to be complaining about this so called death grip? I mean with soooo many sold in other countries why are there not big complaints from all over the world?

I have an iPhone 4 and try as I might I ca not get it to drop a signal by the so called death grip.

Hey Apple, what about videos like this which obviously show a call being repeatedly dropped when holding it correctly?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UDSXX2Nxyw]YouTube - Apple iPhone4 Death Grip Antenna Issue While Making Call[/ame]
    Last edited by stasis; 2010-07-02 at 11:25 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stasis For This Useful Post:

bolojohn (2010-07-03), CZroe (2010-07-03)

Yep, when my bars go to "no service" and it A: drops the call or B: I can't make a call.... It's just "showing" the bars wrong. WOW. I feel like I just got suckered punched by Mr. Jobs with those blatant lies. Now what lie do you have for the proximity sensor being WAY to sensitive Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by InDashMP3 View Post
    I am wondering what we can do regarding the 30 day return policy? Unfortunately, the "fix" will come after many of our return policy grace period. My hope is that there is actually something "else" in the fix other than a formula correction, that will help with the documented signal loss per Anandtech's article. Apple should extend the return policy to 60 days, to allow all of those experiencing a problem an opportunity to test the new fix before being locked to that device. Sure, we can return them now...wait, and see if users report postively, and buy again, but what a pain in the *****...
    Exactly, it wouldnt take a few weeks to make a simple update to change how the bars are calculated. This is simply BS from Apple to buy time until everyone's 30 days is up...
    Last edited by stasis; 2010-07-02 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

gosh ppl y some of u take it too seriosely!? it's not a big deal! just how it is stated from apple "if u r not happy with ur iphone, return it and we will fully refund u". i know it's kinda shame how "iphone" have this silly issue, but it does not worth all that frustration

Quote Originally Posted by ddfilms View Post

Oh stop trying to defend Apple, I have never had a phone which consistently dropped calls when holding it the way you naturally would. I used my 3GS is the same exact location, never have full bars but have NEVER had issues like this. I CAN NOT use my iPhone4 for any important call, period. You can not tell people like me that there is no issue, or that the issue is simply bars being calculated. I can make calls all day long and as soon as I touch that special area it is dropped. One of the phones you show, the droid incredible, I have tested. I used a friend's in my apartment and it never dropped a call, yet you tell me this iPhone is acting normal??? Basically what Apple is saying is that you need to be in an area of high signal to use it, if dropping 2 bars is normal then your not going to be able to use your phone anywhere that is less then 3. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND HAS NEVER HAPPENED WITH ANY OTHER PHONE I HAVE OWNED.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to stasis For This Useful Post:

nicksti (2010-07-02)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

too bad, the iphone is the best phone that at&t provides. I'm kinda stuck with my wife's new 2 year agreement and kick a** discount she gets from her job.

Quote Originally Posted by my1past1is1ur1future View Post
    gosh ppl y some of u take it too seriosely!? it's not a big deal! just how it is stated from apple "if u r not happy with ur iphone, return it and we will fully refund u". i know it's kinda shame how "iphone" have this silly issue, but it does not worth all that frustration
    "but it does not worth all that frustration"

LOL, yes we can return it, but we like the iPhone very much, we WANT this phone. We are obviously Apple fans or we wouldn't have purchased it. We don't want to just return it and get a different phone, this is the one we want, yet this issue is making that impossible! The frustration only came after Apple blatantly ignored us, saying there is no issue, any company that would say that about a very high end, high priced device would be ridiculed. Don't defend Apple just because it is Apple, we should expect more from them if anything... If they would just fix the real problem we would be happy, not just throughout out this PR BS to buy time so that everyone doesn't return it in the 30 days. You think it really takes a few weeks to basically make a new table mapping bars to signal? And this "formula" is already done, they say AT&T provided it, they don't even need to do that work. They can get an update out to close a jailbreak hole in no time but this will take weeks, sure... If you believe this BS from Apple it shows exactly how intelligent you are.

Apples answer is bs ...I've been in an apple store and confirmed 4 out 6 of their demo phones were perfect but 2 showed the issue.

Therefore it is a hardware issue...as the other 4 units did not even drop 1 bar....and the 2 that did went all they way until it said searching.
    The genius guy just scratched his head.

When ny own unit went down to that level it dropped the call.

UK on o2.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast