Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple: No Death Grip, Bars Displayed Wrong

Well that's pretty much what I figured.
    killall Terminal[]

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    Apple is dead-on with this when it comes to my phone. I have always gotten horrible reception in my house with my 3G/3GS (1 or 2 bars tops) but my iPhone 4 got 5 bars in my house......until I hold it. Then it drops down to 1-2 bars.

But outside my house, I can't death-grip it at all. It refuses to drop bars when I'm outside. This goes along perfectly with what Apple says as well as that study the dutch group did on signal strength a few days ago.
    This probably explains why some people don't have the problem because if they actually do have 4 or 5 bars then the software stills sees 4 or 5 but when you have 1 or 2 the software doesn't recognize it until you "death-grip" it. Hopefully this formula thing doesn't apply to my current bar range on my 3GS and has had the wrong indication of bars for its lifetime...

Quote Originally Posted by bolojohn View Post
    I don't understand, why people are complaining so much and actually do nothing........????? How come, folks? Why don't you stay united and just return shity product, all of them at list most of them may be this action will make crapple and steve jobs start thinking when he would need to say goodbye to the profits they've made so far,
    Damn homie. Learn how to break up run-on sentences.

To answer your general question, I have 3 weeks to decide what I want to do. If I have call issues personally...or data problems...I won't hesitate to return it and buy an Evo, Droid X or Streak.

Maybe even just keep my iPhone 3G. for some of us, the phone is more than a phone. for me, it works with so many of my other products (car compatibility through dedicated cables, special speakers, home theater receiver inputs, etc.) that dumping it would mean giving up all of that compatibility.

on top of that, going to another carrier means loss of my unlimited data plan. what happens if I like the next iPhone and want to come back to AT&T? if I came back, i'd be with a limited data plan which would suck.

is this a problem? hell yea. is it worth giving up so much for an issue that *may* not actually affected my calls or usages? depends on the person. for me, it isn't. but if I'm dropping calls over the next 3 weeks, it will go back to the store and I'll re-evaluate my options.

Next update for the iphone: Signal bars always stay on 5 bars no matter where you are!

Quote Originally Posted by rolandgabor View Post
    Another comment:
    Let's assume apple isn't lying-which I doubt-and they will "fix" this
    They will still miss the point by a mile.
    The point isn't that the bars are dropping from a wrongly calibrated 5 to a 2 or from a correctly calibrated 3 to a 2.
    The point is that in the second largest metropolitan area in the united states like Los Angeles we shouldn't even have to experience 2 bars. Ever! But guess what: "death grip" is solved since there won't be any significant drop in reception. It has nothing to do with calibration it's just the most believable explanation they were able to come up with to calm the storm down.
    Every issue with the iPhone leads to the same conclusion
    Apple blaming ATT and ATT is blaming Apple
    What a beautiful partnership this is with consumers making them rich stuck in the middle of it paying our bills, buying more of their products like suckers.
    no. this is an Apple issue.

the problem isn't how many bars are being represented for the stupid to look at. the PROBLEM is that the phone loses signal qualit on the order of > -20dBm by covering the black bar! that's not AT&T's fault; that's Apple's fault.

Apple is avoiding the real issue and quietly attempting to put the blame on AT&T's network. if the signal didn't attenuate by -20dBm or more, this issue wouldn't be an issue in the first place. it's the highest signal reduction in normal use of any phone on the market.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to adrian1480 For This Useful Post:

rolandgabor (2010-07-02)

i have had i think like 3 or so dropped calls with all my previous iphones.. NOW with the iphone 4.. in the last 2 days ive had 8 dropped calls.. not sure if its location, death grip, or just att.. but i hope it gets fixed.. dropped calls are actully REALLY annoying.. lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

I am keeping my iPhone4... Luv it... But there is an issue. As far as the true reception issue. Now that I have done a coupe of different tests on wifi and 3g I think that the fake signal issue is not the only issue. I tried opening a web page while holding the antenna with just my finger and just like the you tube post... It pauses.. immediately when I release it resumes. I don't have to wait for the bars to raise once I release the phone before it starts loading again. It loads immediately upon release. Place the finger back on the spot and it pauses loading the page again... weird... either way Im keeping mine just got a cover as I planned any way.

iPhone? More like MyPhone back9player's Avatar
    Thanks

apple is looking worst than microsoft by the day...

screw you apple... even though my iphone works perfectly. hahahahaha...

i agree with the people who say this is a quality control issue.

You said it exactly They are blaming one another. In this case Apple IS trying to blame ATT. I understand the dropping of bars by holding the antenna or the phone in a certain way is an apple issue, however you cant argue that ATT's coverage is poor at best.Either way some one is screwing us with a hardly usable phone.
    Correction : not all of us just the ones experiencing this issue.( before people start yelling: "I dont have a problem")

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    no. this is an Apple issue.

the problem isn't how many bars are being represented for the stupid to look at. the PROBLEM is that the phone loses signal qualit on the order of > -20dBm by covering the black bar! that's not AT&T's fault; that's Apple's fault.

Apple is avoiding the real issue and quietly attempting to put the blame on AT&T's network. if the signal didn't attenuate by -20dBm or more, this issue wouldn't be an issue in the first place. it's the highest signal reduction in normal use of any phone on the market.
    You said it exactly They are blaming one another. In this case Apple IS trying to blame ATT. I understand the dropping of bars by holding the antenna or the phone in a certain way is an apple issue, however you cant argue that ATT's coverage is poor at best.Either way some one is screwing us with a hardly usable phone.
    Last edited by rolandgabor; 2010-07-02 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I do believe this apple on this For example where I live in then the high desert of California 100 miles north east. I get crappy reception even when I had tmobile and i get the death grip result. Now this past weekend I was in Vegas. Even near a small airport I had full 5 bars and 3G everywhere I went in Vegas. And when i death gripped it not a drop of a bar so i do believe apple that if your in a area with a weaker signal u will notice the death grip.

Thanks

I don't think that is the whole problem. Cause I never have problem with my 3GS. Apple needed an excuse and now they got one. But maybe after they release the fix and the problem go away. That could happend too. I'm crossing my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by DJM AutoWerkz View Post
    I do believe this apple on this For example where I live in then the high desert of California 100 miles north east. I get crappy reception even when I had tmobile and i get the death grip result. Now this past weekend I was in Vegas. Even near a small airport I had full 5 bars and 3G everywhere I went in Vegas. And when i death gripped it not a drop of a bar so i do believe apple that if your in a area with a weaker signal u will notice the death grip.
    I'm guessing you haven't really researched this otherwise you'd know that everyone has been saying this. The problem is most visible in low signal strength areas. The point being that in low signal areas your phone is essentially unusable if held normally since you will disconnect, not just drop bars.

This IS a problem and Apple is attempting to deceive consumers. What they have effectively done with this announcement is given the Class Action Laywers another nail to hammer into Apple's coffin when this goes to court. Attempting to hide a real issue from consumers is counter to numerous consumer protection laws and Apple is going to burn for this, you wait and see.

I am blown away by the acceptance of that announcement.

How does this one bit address the simple issue that for a significant portion of the iphone 4 owners signal drops dramatically when you hold your phone in a particular manner?

It is so silly. This is what Apple is really doing.

Before Fix: Your phone has 4 bars. You hold your phone and it drops to 2. You drop the call.
    After Fix: You phone has 2 bars which is now accurate. You hold your phone and it drops to 0. You understand now why you drop the call.

What this does not explain is why the phone is dropping bars that dramatically when you hold it? How can anyone accept that "company saving face BS"?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Um the iPhone has been out for literally 3 years only.
    Awww how considerate of you to correct me so nicely thankssss but still it sounds a little suspicious for apple to have such a big problem and just now realize it

fook off Apple for your bull$hit!!! what about call drop?!?!?

i havn't read the article fully, but presuming, what they will do in software update is to trick the user to think they are on low signal area etc...

people saying, and comparing iPhone 3G/3GS next to iPhone 4, where iPhone 4 drops calls with the grip!
    ModMy

Quote Originally Posted by nicksti View Post
    I am blown away by the acceptance of that announcement.

How does this one bit address the simple issue that for a significant portion of the iphone 4 owners signal drops dramatically when you hold your phone in a particular manner?

It is so silly. This is what Apple is really doing.

Before Fix: Your phone has 4 bars. You hold your phone and it drops to 2. You drop the call.
    After Fix: You phone has 2 bars which is now accurate. You hold your phone and it drops to 0. You understand now why you drop the call.

What this does not explain is why the phone is dropping bars that dramatically when you hold it? How can anyone accept that "company saving face BS"?
    Other phones also drop bars when held similarly. Usually not all of them, but 1-2 is common in weaker areas. This is what Apple is trying to describe. So if your theory is correct, then Apple would be telling the truth. Have you tried this with another phone? I death-gripped my work phone, a Verizon Storm, and it dropped 2 bars, but that's all.
    Really?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Beautiful!! Don't you just love Apples' spin-machine?

This will calm the fan-boys and give Apple enough time to convince everyone else this is not a real problem!

Pure genius! The Harvard MBA's worked overtime on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Beautiful!! Don't you just love Apples' spin-machine?

This will calm the fan-boys and give Apple enough time to convince everyone else this is not a real problem!

Pure genius! The Harvard MBA's worked overtime on this one.
    Indeed. I have had iPhone's since day one, but had AT&T even longer. The iPhone is simply not as good of PHONE as others and it seems that issue is finally coming to light. I do enjoy watching the Verizon fanboys though, as if iPhone's don't have problems in Canada and the rest of the world.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    Other phones also drop bars when held similarly. Usually not all of them, but 1-2 is common in weaker areas. This is what Apple is trying to describe. So if your theory is correct, then Apple would be telling the truth. Have you tried this with another phone? I death-gripped my work phone, a Verizon Storm, and it dropped 2 bars, but that's all.
    I have owned and used many phones and hold it in my left hand in the same "death grip" fashion and never had that issue.

HTC Touch
    SE P1
    SE Vivaz
    BB Javelin
    iPhone 2G
    Several dumb phones

I will word this very carefully: This was not a problem in the previous iPhones like Apple is claiming. This is the first time I am hearing about a death grip wrt any iPhone. If the problem existed it did not exist on this scale. No way.

All things point to one truth: It is a hardware issue.

Apple "Death Grip" fix, designed and presented by Penn and Teller. Lets have a big round of applause, ladies and gentlemen!

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast