Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple: No Death Grip, Bars Displayed Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by radioboy View Post
    Clearly, everyone on Modmyi knows way more about antenna design and cell networks than the engineers at Apple, and creating and testing a software update that will be simultaneously pushed out to almost 2 million phones is a process that should take 12 hours at most.

The way people are reacting to this you'd think Apple slapped your mother and called her a whore.

They're trying to fix the issue, so just CTFD. Obviously they're going to look for a solution that DOESN'T involve recalling and replacing 2 million phones, so the first place to look will be software.

If you're still having issues after the fix, then resume making noise.
    Yeah they are trying to fix it now after saying "There is NO problem". Guess that means we are smarter then their engineers and there testers if there testers couldn't even notice this, the most needed function of any phone is reception. Apple failed in admitting the issue, they kept denying the issue, had they admitted the issue from the start their wouldn't have such an uproar about it. They need to start coming clean about errors and stop trying to blame the users for their poor engineering.

Question: I have the reception issue. I've got a sliver of clear tape over the strip and the issues are almost nonexistent. Instead of returning the phone, why not just exchange it? If it's affecting only a small percentage, couldn't you tell AT&T/apple you keep dropping calls and want to exchange?

this is a lie. If anything, AT&T inflates its bars to make it seem like it has better coverage than sprint and Team Mobile. My friend and I were trying to do a speed test between my iphone 4 and his sprint htc evo on 3G and his loaded faster even though I had full bar and he had one bar.

At this location where I stand now, if I take off my bumper, I can't make calls with my iphone. If I keep the bumper on, I have 3 bars and my calls work fine. That's proof enough for me.

my phone is fine and i wont update yet i'll wait for a jailbreak lol.

Quote Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
    lol apple would have been better off just not saying anything
    They're going to appease everyone except the small percentage of uber geeks who read modmyi, iphonehacks, etc . All those consumers who don't know a jailbreak from a coffee break will be quite happy with this answer. It is a reasonable and plausible explanation.

When I hold my iphone 4 normally I have no service and can't make or receive calls.

When I hold my iphone, iphone 3g, and iphone 3gs the same way in the same location I can make calls.

The death grip is real, your antenna as configured sucks.

Smile input gain ajustment
    from previously working with motorola phones i reckon they will be increading the antenna input gain to minimise the drop in signal from the so called death grip. similar to when a mobile phone is in an area with very poor signal strength the phone automatically "Hunts" for a signal, (this often can reduce battery life)
    the displayed signal strength will merely reflect what signal is being received.but in the background the actual change will be in amplifying the input signal when reception is poor or drops quickly .

just my guess.

Firmware update in a few weeks?! This is terrible news or those of us waiting on a jailbreak. Damn you Apple.

"the truth can be adjusted. now take your pills and pretend nothing is wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    They're going to appease everyone except the small percentage of uber geeks who read modmyi, iphonehacks, etc . All those consumers who don't know a jailbreak from a coffee break will be quite happy with this answer. It is a reasonable and plausible explanation.
    aside from the fact that it's a misdirected lie that has nothing to do with the -20dBm to -30dBm drop in signal quality when the black bar area is covered by the hand?

they're passing the blame to mobile carriers as if it will somehow change the reality that putting your hand in a certain area on the phone reduces the quality of transmission of data on said phone.
    Last edited by adrian1480; 2010-07-02 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I love this optical illusion that causes my iPhone 4 to drop calls while my 3gs stays connected. I need to stop taking that LSD.

I was lucky enough to receive the changelog for the upcomming iOS update that fixes the issue:

iPhone 4.1 update:
    Fixes:
    * Phone no longer drops call when no signal is detected. Phone application will continue to display connected until "end call" is pressed.
    * Signal strength meter retains high levels until phone is turned off
    * “No Service” message has been replaced with “Looking good, Billy Ray!”

11. The Following User Says Thank You to santiagodraco For This Useful Post:

BSmith (2010-07-04)

Hum that's more BS from apple. People actually can't download anything when the iPhone signals no bars. Bet they will make it so the iPhone shows always 5 bars lmao.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone wareagle5693's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Who is this we you speak of? I have had NO dropped call or reception issues.
    Doesn't mean he's including YOU! I've had dropped calls and reception issues because of the 'death grip'

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post

"the truth can be adjusted. now take your pills and pretend nothing is wrong."

aside from the fact that it's a misdirected lie that has nothing to do with the -20dBm to -30dBm drop in signal quality when the black bar area is covered by the hand?

they're passing the blame to mobile carriers as if it will somehow change the reality that putting your hand in a certain area on the phone reduces the quality of transmission of data on said phone.
    You misunderstand me, I totally agree with you. But it doesn't change the fact that 90% of the consumers well drink the Apple Kool Aid and be content.

yes, I misunderstood. apologies.

perfect representation of the problem:

I suppose the iPhone 4s will have a redesigned antenna, and better reception will be sold as "a feature".

I don't understand, why people are complaining so much and actually do nothing........????? How come, folks? Why don't you stay united and just return shity product, all of them at list most of them may be this action will make crapple and steve jobs start thinking when he would need to say goodbye to the profits they've made so far, so next time they would possibly create a better product and be not so ignorant to the people complaining and reporting problems and apple's cheap excuse about antenna issue looks so stupid, instead of being agree with the problem and engineering fault and just recall the iphone4, they keep fooling people around saying that almost any other phone when griped will produce the same problem, ...bullsh*t. With my 3gs i have never had antenna problems and dropped calls in my area whatsoever but with icrap4 i did, and i've already returned my, so what is keeping you folks to do the same, believe me, after one month you'll be left behind and there will be no return time extension from apple and the problem will not be fixed since it is a hardware issue not software, imagine that you've bought a car and of all a sudden car is moving backward while staying on "d" and your car dealer is telling you that changing your position by turning your head on 180 degree will fix the problem. Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nikozen View Post
    If it's just as simple as adjusting the range of each bar why should that take "a few weeks" to release?
    Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    Apples fix for the crappy antenna is to make a software update to falsify your signal strength is an awesome move don't u think!
    I have a very hard time believing that this is simply a software issue, as I have tested this on several phones (up to 7 now on phones people I know have purchased recently, and I have also encountered into on display iPhone in my local Apple store that had cell connectivity, in which I was able to replicate the problem.

Even if it is a software issue of some sort, then I would completely agree that it is entirely pathetic to take so much time to render a fix as they seem to be taking. This takes me back to the "SMS Exploit", where other phone makers who had similar issues closed their holes in a fraction of the time Apple took to do the same.

What ever the root of the problem really is, it should have been caught and resolved before it was ever put into mass production.

So much for quality control, I guess. But then again, it's not out of the ordinary for even large companies to treat their paying customers as (unpaid) beta / QA testers. This seems especially true when such a company wants to meet a dead-line they've arbitrarily set.

Quote Originally Posted by bolojohn View Post
    I don't understand, why people are complaining so much and actually do nothing........????? How come, folks? Why don't you stay united and just return shity product, all of them at list most of them may be this action will make crapple and steve jobs start thinking when he would need to say goodbye to the profits they've made so far, so next time they would possibly create a better product and be not so ignorant to the people complaining and reporting problems and apple's cheap excuse about antenna issue looks so stupid, instead of being agree with the problem and engineering fault and just recall the iphone4, they keep fooling people around saying that almost any other phone when griped will produce the same problem, ...bullsh*t. With my 3gs i have never had antenna problems and dropped calls in my area whatsoever but with icrap4 i did, and i've already returned my, so what is keeping you folks to do the same, believe me, after one month you'll be left behind and there will be no return time extension from apple and the problem will not be fixed since it is a hardware issue not software, imagine that you've bought a car and of all a sudden car is moving backward while staying on "d" and your car dealer is telling you that changing your position by turning your head on 180 degree will fix the problem. Think about it.
    Because it would make too much sense for the w00kies to do that. They would rather complain and "hope" for a fix. Because they have the so called "Best Smart" on the market. Best at getting less signal, thats about it (IMO).

Yes if they ALL took back that Crapple and made Steve Jobs hand them their money back. Yes his company would feel the pain if enough people did that. Yet his company will not feel anything as long as they keep the Crapple phone. Everyone should wake up and just realize its not all that Apple claims it is.

3GS iOS 4, jailbroken, unlocked, and 5 BARS (for the win).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to l0k0 For This Useful Post:

bolojohn (2010-07-03)

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    I figured as much part of the issue was software base. Between the anadtech review, personal experience, and other reports online, it's obvious that the bars were being misrepresented.

And like I had said before, it'll be weeks before any "fix" actually hits so I can't emphasize enough: if this issue is bothering you that much please return your phone. It's the best way to tell apple you're dissatisfied with the service. Sticking with it even when you're not happy with it is just a form of technological abused wife syndrome. "but Steve said things will get better, he didn't mean to drop my bars"
    It's obvious? Really? Amazing how something so "obvious" was never noted before considering that Apple claims this is a problem on ALL IPHONES. I guess you missed that obvious part

Of course maybe someone can explain to me how "obviously misrepresented bars" cause calls to disconnect on an iPhone 4 but not on a 3gs when held in certain ways?

Shinanigans I say!

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

So, not touching the antenna shows what APPLE would like for cell service. And touching it shows ATTs real coverage. Interesting marketing tool. Hmmmmmm. Lol

Another comment:
    Let's assume apple isn't lying-which I doubt-and they will "fix" this
    They will still miss the point by a mile.
    The point isn't that the bars are dropping from a wrongly calibrated 5 to a 2 or from a correctly calibrated 3 to a 2.
    The point is that in the second largest metropolitan area in the united states like Los Angeles we shouldn't even have to experience 2 bars. Ever! But guess what: "death grip" is solved since there won't be any significant drop in reception. It has nothing to do with calibration it's just the most believable explanation they were able to come up with to calm the storm down.
    Every issue with the iPhone leads to the same conclusion
    Apple blaming ATT and ATT is blaming Apple
    What a beautiful partnership this is with consumers making them rich stuck in the middle of it paying our bills, buying more of their products like suckers.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast