Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 389

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: MyWi 4.0 Released with All New Features

  1. #101
    It amazes me that people would ***** about the price of this app or even worse wait for a "hacked" version on of it. This is probably the single greatest reason to jailbreak the iPhone for U.S. AT&T customers. It's WELL worth the $10 price tag to save hundreds of dollars a year on a tethering package from AT&T (if they even offered it for the iPhone). This is EXACTLY why I did not buy the 3G iPad and instead bought the wifi model, because of MyWi.

    So what you're saying is you'll pay $200-$300+ for a phone, but not a lousy $10 to make it even more useful? Or you'll pay $30 for a rubber condom to wrap your phone in but not $10 for an app that makes your phone the best phone available!??! Makes no sense to me at all!??

  2. #102
    When is the JB for the IOS4 coming out? Cant wait for it!

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolftamer View Post
    Personally I think $20/$10 is just gonna drive enough people away that it makes less in the long run.
    Totally agreed. While I think the app price is probably worth for all AT&T users (*), make it 15$ new/5$ upgrade and all the moaning and whining will change to positive reviews that will boost the app sales.

    Just make a temporary discount for early adopters if you want to play on the safe side and be able to get back to the full price later.

    (*) Also remember that not all the world is the U.S. and AT&T isn't the only provider... Many other international providers offer tethering for free (or almost).

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktarded1 View Post
    It amazes me that people would ***** about the price of this app or even worse wait for a "hacked" version on of it. This is probably the single greatest reason to jailbreak the iPhone for U.S. AT&T customers. It's WELL worth the $10 price tag to save hundreds of dollars a year on a tethering package from AT&T (if they even offered it for the iPhone). This is EXACTLY why I did not buy the 3G iPad and instead bought the wifi model, because of MyWi.

    So what you're saying is you'll pay $200-$300+ for a phone, but not a lousy $10 to make it even more useful? Or you'll pay $30 for a rubber condom to wrap your phone in but not $10 for an app that makes your phone the best phone available!??! Makes no sense to me at all!??
    Me too. No iPad 3G needed with MyWi.

  5. #105
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,474
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

    People will complain about paying an upgrade fee no matter what it is.

  6. #106
    now I can update to 4.0. Finally!!!
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    If MyWi were only a tethering app, you might be right.
    Which has nothing to do with "money saved." All I'm saying is that these justifications and counter justifications going both ways (Safari upgrade comparison and saving money) are flawed.

    Anyway, native tethering over BT is lower power than WiFi and you can usually use your laptop to share the WiFi if you have anything fancy that doesn't work with native tethering. You can go into Cydia and install BT-DUN support for iPod Touch and iPad, which I would do if I had one of those devices without built-in 3G. I don't even have iTunes installed on my notebooks and I prefer to install the USB drivers for battery reasons. I used PdaNet and I'd hate to go back to WiFi tethering. Yes, I know that WyWi's battery drain is much improved, especially due to native routing. Speaking of native routing, it may be better but I'm willing to bet that it's why MyWi is so sensitive to changes in the OS. PdaNet survived the 2.0-3.0 bump just fine despite Apple introducing native tethering between the two!
    Last edited by CZroe; 2010-06-28 at 07:02 PM.

  8. #108
    Ok I have an actual feature question about this new version. My corporate win 7 laptop on a domain prevents me from connecting to adhoc networks for security reasons. I've tried everything to disable it but because I am on a domain there is nothing I can do. Is there a way this app can create a hotspot like a wireless router so I can use it untethered or does it use the same adhoc network approach? I can connect to wireless hotspots but can't connect to adhoc networks

  9. #109
    I think the overall value of the program at $20 is a great price if you happen to use it a lot. I personally only used it a few times since I purchased the $10 version because I am usually in wi-fi range when I need to use my laptop. I do think that doubling the price is a little steep, but if that is what they want to charge, that is their right. Since I hardly ever used it much(and even then I didn't NEED it), I won't be upgrading at this time(though I probably would have at a lower upgrade price). However, if I ever find myself needing the program in the future, I think it would be worth the extra $10.

  10. #110
    Does the screen need to be on while using this?
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by ewa8949 View Post
    Ok I have an actual feature question about this new version. My corporate win 7 laptop on a domain prevents me from connecting to adhoc networks for security reasons. I've tried everything to disable it but because I am on a domain there is nothing I can do. Is there a way this app can create a hotspot like a wireless router so I can use it untethered or does it use the same adhoc network approach? I can connect to wireless hotspots but can't connect to adhoc networks
    That's exactly what it does. Note that it broadcasts the SSID.

    The vast majority of early WiFi routers had PCMCIA (laptop-style) client cards in them and the client software on PCs just left that functionality out to promote the whole "infrastructure" market model (they didn't want you setting up your PC as a cheap WiFi access point/router). The capability is still there today in nearly all WiFi hardware. They call it "SoftAP" sometimes, though that's a poor description because, technically, any AP is a SoftAP, even in a dedicated device. Some had it in their software utilities then, and many do today including the one in my Alienware M11x after upgrading the drivers.

  12. #112
    Does anyone know if the 4.0 version will show data used as "tethered data usage" on the AT&T bill?? Is that presumably what the bridged mode is for??

  13. #113
    sweet good thing i never used this app so i would only pay 10 bucks once

  14. #114
    Mywi should have simply chainged the app name to something new like "itether 1.0" and sold it for iPhone 4 os only. Then no one would know and they would have to hear cheap people *****. If you purchased a an expensive phone with an expensive monthly plan, then you can pony out another $10/$20 bucks!!!

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by dxe View Post
    Does anyone know if the 4.0 version will show data used as "tethered data usage" on the AT&T bill?? Is that presumably what the bridged mode is for??
    To "bridge" a device to another network is to make it appear to be connected directly. It means that there is no additional subnetting/NATing going on. AFAIK, AT&T only knows what is tethering traffic as reported to it by your phone with the unpatched Commcenter and official tethering IPCC, so they would have to sniff your packets or monitor your traffic to tell otherwise. Do all your browsing through a VPN instead to minimize that.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    sweet good thing i never used this app so i would only pay 10 bucks once
    How do you figure? It looks like it's $20 for new customers.
    Last edited by CZroe; 2010-06-28 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  16. #116
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,824
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    10-20 bucks adds up over several apps. Either way people can still use 3.x if they don't want to upgrade.

  17. #117
    Seriously.... It's 9.99 to upgrade. Why are people complaining????? For all of you whiners, you can go purchase it in the app store.. oh wait, you can't! Or you can pay 45 bucks a month for teathering to teather to your ipads... oh wait, you can't do that either! JB is FREE PEOPLE!!!! Just imagine how much you would have to pay if they decided to make you pay for that!!!!! Quit complaining and give credit where credit is due!!!!

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drufus For This Useful Post:

    3LECHE (2010-06-28), skeels (2010-06-28)

  19. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Which has nothing to do with "money saved."
    For me it does - it stopped me from having to open a Verizon Wireless account and buy a MiFi.

    Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Native tethering over BT is lower power than WiFi and you can usually use your laptop to share the WiFi if you have anything fancy that doesn't work with native tethering.
    Not to mention BT is much slower than WiFi, has significantly less range, and then you're going to throw a laptop sharing it out across WiFi into the mix? Yeah, that's a great internet experience there...

    Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Mywi should have simply chainged the app name to something new like "itether 1.0" and sold it for iPhone 4 os only. Then no one would know and they would have to hear cheap people *****. If you purchased a an expensive phone with an expensive monthly plan, then you can pony out another $10/$20 bucks!!!
    I was thinking the same thing...

  20. #119
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Rounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Posts
    161
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts

    Question: Is this version only compatible with iOS 4? I'm still waiting on a jailbreak for the newer bootrom 3GS, but would gladly pay the upgrade for the new features if it's compatible with 3.1.3

    Is this specific to the phone it's on? or the account? I am planning on getting the iPhone 4 when it's released in Canada, and jailbreaking it to use MyWi is a must, but would I have to pay again? As I will no longer be using my 3GS.

    Cheers
    My Mac:  iMac 21.6" 2.5GHz Quad-Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB, AMD 512MB Video (10.6.6)

    iOS Devices: iPhone 4 32GB (4.3.2 JB) | iPad 2 16GB (4.3.2) | Apple TV 2G (4.3 JB)

    MobileMe User

  21. #120
    Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    577
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

    Of the jailbreak apps out there, MyWi is my most used app. I don't see what everyone's issue with the upgrade fee on this - it's a completely rewritten app to work with a new OS. It's not an upgrade; it's a rewrite. I literally use MyWi daily, and know tons of people who jailbreak ONLY to get MyWi. The app is worth $19.99. And it's worth $9.99 coming from the $10 I already spent to make the total $19.99. How much did you spend at Applebee's last night?

    Problem is some people are just cheap and full of unfounded entitlement.
    .


    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

    hacktarded1 (2010-06-28), skeels (2010-06-28), Windmeel (2010-06-29)

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •