Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi 4.0 Released with All New Features

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    You can enable native tethering without MyWi. Don't bother with it then
    On 4.0? Is this a package in Cydia? I would certainly use a native tethering hack if one exists for 4.0.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

In iPhone's settings>general>Network>tethering. iOS4 has the option for us in the USA now. Just you have to pay monthly fee.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

What was the update fee for 3.0 to 3.1.3? was it double the price?

I'm just trying to prepare myself for the 4.1 update fee when Apple releases the next update. Will I have to pay again?

As I stated earlier, the Rock site says updates are free.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyofTheMacDaddy View Post

I'm just trying to prepare myself for the 4.1 update fee when Apple releases the next update. Will I have to pay again?

you must be new to the iphone or something, not all upgrades are free. especially when they are major upgrades if you still have a gripe then dont use the product. When swirlymms upgraded when 3.0 came out you had to pay for the upgrade cause it was a major update the same with this program get use to it cause it will always happen when a paid app has to do a major upgrade

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyofTheMacDaddy View Post

Actually iOS4 released a whole lot of new APIs for developers to use. So the new MyWi was a complete rewrite from the ground up and is basically a brand new program.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Bluetooth is missing. That sucks. I hope it returns in an update. I had a great bluetooth connection with the old version.

Quote Originally Posted by okay View Post
    Bluetooth is missing. That sucks. I hope it returns in an update. I had a great bluetooth connection with the old version.
    It may cost you another $9.99 to get it though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hmm this looks good will check it out and see wha have to offer

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
    I agree. I used this app for nothing more than to enable native tethering. I could care less about wifi tethering as it kills your battery life anyway. I have never trusted these "apps" for tethering. I much preferred hacks that simply enable native tethering. Their idea is simply: everyone is going to upgrade to 4.0, so lets find a way to make all these people pay us again for software they already bought.
    So you don't care that to enable this application to work in iOS4 was a complete rewrite of the application? You just think that support for the latest and greatest OS from Apple should be provided by all developers? When Apple stopped producing OS X that supported PPC and only supported Intel processors, how many applications provided their next version for free or updated their old versions to run on Intel processors for free? I'm betting most didn't. How about when Microsoft updated from Windows 3.1 to 95? Would you expect all developers to provide updated versions of their applications just because a new OS came out? MyWi never said their application would work with anything other than the OS that was out at the time. You chose to update your OS and now are complaining that the applications you bought for your old OS don't work any more. If you were to continue to use iOS 3.1.3, then your purchased version of MyWi would continue to work just the way it did when you bought it with no extra charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
    To the person comparing this to Office 2007 vs Office 2010. You need to work harder on your analogies. When MSFT release Office 2010 they do not discontinue support for existing users. Hell I've seen people using Office 2003 on Windows 7. There is a difference between releasing updated software with new features and alienating your customer base by refusing to allow your app to work on a new version of iOS. IMO MyWi just shot itself in the head. It is my guess that aggravated existing users will simply go find a cracked copy. And with a price like $20, they will have a harder time getting new customers as well, who instead will also go find a cracked copy. When iOS 5 comes around it will be interesting to see if MyWi is still around.
    You're correct, I could have come up with a better analogy. Mainly because Office doesn't work so closely with the OS that a new OS would render the application useless. I guess an A/V application or VPN application would have been more appropriate. I haven't had to pay for an A/V or VPN application in a while so I don't know if they provided free, updated versions that supported Windows 7 or not. I know that almost all A/V and VPN application had to have new versions to work on Windows 7 because I was a beta tester and ran into a lot of problems. I also wasn't naive enough to think that all developers would produce updates for future OSs for free for ever.

Again, you bought an application that worked on a specific platform/OS. Why would you think that just because Apple releases a new OS that all developers should time the time and effort to make updates to their applications to make it work on the new OS and just give it away? Also, the developer of MyWi wasn't refusing to make their application work on the new OS; Apple changed the API and the core of the OS so much that the way MyWi was written, it would not work for the new OS. It's not like the developer had something written in the code that says "If this iPhone is running iOS4, stop working".

As far as getting new customers to buy spend $20 on it instead of finding a cracked copy, yes, I agree that $20 is a bit steep for something that someone may not use all that much. I, for one, only use it a couple times a month to access the Internet on my iPad. If it were $10 (as it was before), it would be a no-brainer for me, but at $20, it's not such an impulse buy and I still haven't decided to buy it yet (I'm still on my 10 day trial). With the problem I'm having with my WiFi not autoconnecting to any network and sometimes dropping the connection, I probably won't pay for it until that is fixed. This discussion is different than whether or not the developer should have provided a free upgrade for existing customers though.

Here is something else to consider for those folks that are saying they should have the option of a free update that works with iOS4 and doesn't have any of the updates. Do you realize how much more work that would be? First, if making it work for iOS4 requires a complete rewrite of the code (or even just a modest amount of change), then the developer would have two branches of his/her/their application: one with the new features and one without. Then as changes need to be made to fix bugs, he has two applications that he has to test this on. Now what happens when iOS5 comes out and he has to rewrite a good portion of the application again? Should he still be required to provide updates to those that bought the application on iOS3? Then he would have at least 3 different versions of the application to try to keep updated. From a developer standpoint, that is a pretty big management effort. And he wouldn't be getting any income except from new users.

I think most people don't really take into account the effort the developer is putting out. I think people got a little spoiled because almost all applications in Apple's App Store provide updates for free. What people aren't thinking about is the amount of effort involved. The applications in the App Store are only using approved APIs so many applications don't require any update at all to work on the new iOS and those that do, don't require much work at all. None of these applications tap into the OS the way applications like MyWi do so they are easily updated. Also, Apple provides documentation on their approved APIs where as I'm guessing the developers of applications like MyWi have to figure out some of the undocumented APIs on their own. Again, all this work takes time and effort and the developer should be compensated for it.

I'm still of the opinion that people that expect a free update to a product that they bought (that still works exactly as advertised on the platform OS they bought it for) just because a new OS comes out are being a bit cheap and greedy.

As I stated before they should provide an update that works with iOS4 and make another version with the added features. I'm betting that a lot of people who paid for the first version will go find another way to get the update without paying again. I know I for one would not pay for an update on a product I already paid for just because features were added that I didn't ask for, want, or need. I'm just glad I sold my last iPhone so yeah I'm out the 9.99 but I don't need to deal with apple and AT&T anymore. Yes I've made the switch and we have 3 different Android devices and they are great.

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand why folks are complaining here. If you don't like it, write your own app. Otherwise, STFU and either fork over the money or move on. Easy enough. These Devs write apps for all of US to enjoy. They are not required to. They are not asking for you to download their apps. They are writing apps in order to fulfill a need and in turn, might ask for a few bucks. So what? I am grateful that we have this great community of Devs. I say keep up the good work. Let the whiners be the least of your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by coloradoxmfan View Post
    I don't understand why folks are complaining here. If you don't like it, write your own app. Otherwise, STFU and either fork over the money or move on. Easy enough. These Devs write apps for all of US to enjoy. They are not required to. They are not asking for you to download their apps. They are writing apps in order to fulfill a need and in turn, might ask for a few bucks. So what? I am grateful that we have this great community of Devs. I say keep up the good work. Let the whiners be the least of your concern.
    Yes they DID write the app and now it won't work on 4.0 and they are forcing everyone who wants to continue to use that app to pay for it all over again. Let me ask you this, if every single app you paid for did this would you be happy paying for that same app again just to get it to work with a newer OS? I know I got the updated 4.0 but I didn't fork over any money either and I'm sure I'm not the only one. But luckily I'm done with the iPhone (for now). I know if I do go back and find me another iPhone I will not be buying any apps through RockMyPhone that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    Yes they DID write the app and now it won't work on 4.0 and they are forcing everyone who wants to continue to use that app to pay for it all over again. Let me ask you this, if every single app you paid for did this would you be happy paying for that same app again just to get it to work with a newer OS? I know I got the updated 4.0 but I didn't fork over any money either and I'm sure I'm not the only one. But luckily I'm done with the iPhone (for now). I know if I do go back and find me another iPhone I will not be buying any apps through RockMyPhone that's for sure.
    Here it is again, the idea that the developers are forcing you to upgrade to continue to use the application. They are doing no such thing. They produced an application that worked on the version of the OS they said it would work on. They aren't the ones that made Apple change things in their OS to make their application stop working. They also aren't the ones that decided to upgrade your phone to the latest OS. Everyone that upgraded did so with the knowledge that not all applications would work. Most people that jailbreak their phones are probably more aware of the impact the new OS would have on applications than those that rely solely on App Store apps.

Let me pose another question to you. How would you feel if the developer of this application just stopped developing. He didn't rewrite his code and didn't release a new version that worked on iOS4. Would you still feel entitled to an updated version of the software to work with the new iOS just because Apple release a new version? What on earth would be the motivation for the developer to do such a thing?

Now, how is that really any different than what he has done. MyWi 3.x is a totally different product from MyWi 4.0. The fact that he is giving a discount to previous customers should be taken as a sign of good will to previous customers. Instead, people are acting as if they've been slapped in the face because they aren't getting this new product for free just because they bought a previous product from this developer.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but here is what I expect from software developers/manufacturers that charge money for their product. I expect the product to perform as advertised. I expect it to function on the platform/minimum requirements the developer specified before I purchased the application. I expect the developer to release updates to the application to fix any bugs or problems with the application that prevent it from working as advertised.

Here is what I don't expect. I don't expect the developer to release major new features for free. It is nice when they do, but I don't expect it. I don't expect them to release updated versions that work with new OSs, especially those with major changes, for free. Again, it's nice when they do, but I don't expect it.

I guess I just grew up with different expectations from the products I purchase. I just can't fathom how people can sit there and get all self-righteous about having to pay for a new application all because they decided to change their OS.

As I stated before they should provide an update that works with iOS4 and make another version with the added features.
    Why should they provide this? They didn't force you to upgrade to iOS4? They never said they would provide updates to keep up with Apple's OSs when you originally purchased the application, did they?

Now you want the developer to keep up with two different versions of the application (on top of the NoRock version that people want him to release)? How about when iOS5 comes out? Are you going to expect the developer to update the application to work with that for free? Then he's going to have yet another version: he's going to have the 3.x version updated to work with iOS4 then updated to work with iOS5 plus the 4.x version updated to work with iOS5 plus a new 5.x version. And now I'm guessing you would also expect bug fixes for all these versions? For instance, an update to MyWi 4.0 was just release to fix an issue where the iPhone wouldn't auto-connect to a WiFi network after waking the phone from sleep. In your model, he would have had to change the code in two versions and test his fix in two versions. Why is it that people expect an application to be updated forever? You paid for an application that was advertised to work on a specific platform. What is it about how you purchased that application that made you think perpetual updates would be or should be provided? That's the part that I just don't understand.

Nobody would expect an application that was made to run on Windows 3.1 be continually updated so that it would work on Windows 7 would you? Now I know there are many developers out there that do provide free updates. But we should see those as being generous and going above and beyond instead of just taking it for granted and expecting it to be the norm.

I'm betting that a lot of people who paid for the first version will go find another way to get the update without paying again. I know I for one would not pay for an update on a product I already paid for just because features were added that I didn't ask for, want, or need.
    I have to disagree with you on this. First, the people that are likely to go looking for another way to get the update probably aren't the kind of people that would have paid for the application in the first place.

Second, nobody is forcing anybody to pay for an upgrade to get features that they didn't ask for, want, or need. The feature you are asking for is compatibility with iOS4 but apparently you are unwilling to pay for that new functionality. A new version of the application has been made available to those that want to update their OS and would like a new version of the application that works with this new OS. If you don't want to update to the new version, that is completely optional. The developer is just not making any guarantee that the old version will work with a new OS.

Thank you for taking the time to read my posts. I hope to have contributed something to this conversation. Having said that, I will refrain from replying to any more of the "I think we are entitled to free updates for life" posts until somebody can provide some good reasoning behind their position. I would be more than happy to continue this debate at that time.
    Last edited by junior15; 2010-07-06 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

We should create a poll to see how many users agree with having to purchase this again. I am curious how this would turn out.

1. Yes I agree with paying $9.99 for a product I already purchase.
    2. No I do not agree with paying $9.99 for a product I already purchased.
    3. I bought the original version but I am not going to pay to get the new version so I will find another way to get it without paying $9.99.
    4. Who cares?

At this point, I would have to say "Who cares". The dev did the work and set the price and it has been debated to death here. If you want it, buy it. If not, then don't. If you have a problem, take it up with the dev.

We should create a poll to see how many users agree with having to purchase this again. I am curious how this would turn out.

1. Yes I agree with paying $9.99 for a product I already purchase.
    2. No I do not agree with paying $9.99 for a product I already purchased.
    3. I bought the original version but I am not going to pay to get the new version so I will find another way to get it without paying $9.99.
    4. Who cares?
    No offense intended, but the way you have worded your poll is a bit inaccurate. The developer isn't asking you to pay for a product you have already purchased, he is offering a new product and giving you the option of purchasing it at a discounted rate because you bought a previous product.

Here's how I would have worded it:

1. Yes I agree with paying for an upgrade/new version of a product I already purchased.
    2. No I do not agree with paying for an upgrade/new version of a product I already purchased.
    3. I bought the original version but I am not going to pay to get the new version so I will download a cracked version.
    4. Who cares?

In my opinion, these statements more closely resemble fact and would get a more accurate response. Also, I have removed the prices because the question we are discussing (at least this is what I think we are discussing) is not whether the price of the upgrade is too high or not, but whether or not the developer should provide a free upgrade instead of charging for it. Would you opinion on paying for an upgrade change if the developer were only charging $5? How about $2? If so, then you really don't have a problem paying for the upgrade, you just have a problem paying the price the developer is asking.

Quote Originally Posted by junior15 View Post
    No offense intended, but the way you have worded your poll is a bit inaccurate. The developer isn't asking you to pay for a product you have already purchased, he is offering a new product and giving you the option of purchasing it at a discounted rate because you bought a previous product.

Here's how I would have worded it:

1. Yes I agree with paying for an upgrade/new version of a product I already purchased.
    2. No I do not agree with paying for an upgrade/new version of a product I already purchased.
    3. I bought the original version but I am not going to pay to get the new version so I will download a cracked version.
    4. Who cares?

In my opinion, these statements more closely resemble fact and would get a more accurate response. Also, I have removed the prices because the question we are discussing (at least this is what I think we are discussing) is not whether the price of the upgrade is too high or not, but whether or not the developer should provide a free upgrade instead of charging for it. Would you opinion on paying for an upgrade change if the developer were only charging $5? How about $2? If so, then you really don't have a problem paying for the upgrade, you just have a problem paying the price the developer is asking.
    nicely said

Does any one know if using mywi will result in a charge from AT&T

I have been using MyWi for a couple months now for wireless tethering and have not seen any additional charges from AT&T. As far as I know, it shows up as regular data to them so why would they charge you anything additional? I can't speak for the USB or bluetooth tethering as I don't use that. Now that AT&T has actually allowed USB tethering to be used, I'm not sure if they can detect MyWi's USB tethering or if it still shows up as regular data usage. Hopefully somebody else on here has used MyWi for USB tethering since AT&T started allowing it (and charging for it) and can tell us whether using MyWi has prompted any additional charges from AT&T.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

With no extra charges from AT&T??

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast