Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 389

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: MyWi 4.0 Released with All New Features

  1. #261
    The same thing which was listed against practically every app until iOS4 was available? The same thing which the vast majority of apps then updated to work with 4.0 without an additional charge?

    But to be clear, as I stated in my post, it's about transparency and being honest with your customers about what they can expect to pay for in the future, and forewarning if there is going to be a pay-for update coming out which will increase the price above what it is currently being sold at so they can make an informed purchase, because however you look at it, they were sold it for one price, and then being told if they want to continue to use they need a higher priced version.

    I do *not* care if I have to pay for the upgrade or not, I do care about developers being clear about their policy on upgrades and updates and will and will not be free of charge. That is all, do not try and drag this out into anything more than that, I have no interest in feeding the troll. You don't agree with my opinion, and I don't agree with you - I don't see that changing.
    Last edited by madon; 2010-06-29 at 05:02 PM.

  2. #262
    Quote Originally Posted by madon View Post
    That is all, do not try and drag this out into anything more than that, I have no interest in feeding the troll.
    Hah, good one. If you were not interested in "feeding the troll" then you would not have posted in the first place. You've not said anything that hasn't been said already over and over again and thus deserve to be trolled.

  3. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Hah, good one. If you were not interested in "feeding the troll" then you would not have posted in the first place. You've not said anything that hasn't been said already over and over again and thus deserve to be trolled.
    Actually his statement was quite different. Since version 3 isn't going to work in ios4 then he simply suggested a head's up was in order when they made the business decision to do a rewrite and not make version 3 work under ios4 and then charge an upgrade fee for the new version.

    IMO, it all boils down to this...

    1. Pay the upgrade
    2. Go without
    3. Steal it

    Lots of interesting posts were made concerning price points and whether more would have chosen 2 vs 1 or 3 if it had been handled differently. For example, if version 3 had been made to work under version 4 many most likely would have upgraded for the extra functionality. My gut tells me more money would have been reaped in the long run with that strategy, especially with choice #3 looming so large.

    Interesting economics in play on these little idevices...

  4. #264
    Quote Originally Posted by madon View Post
    The same thing which was listed against practically every app until iOS4 was available? The same thing which the vast majority of apps then updated to work with 4.0 without an additional charge?

    But to be clear, as I stated in my post, it's about transparency and being honest with your customers about what they can expect to pay for in the future, and forewarning if there is going to be a pay-for update coming out which will increase the price above what it is currently being sold at so they can make an informed purchase, because however you look at it, they were sold it for one price, and then being told if they want to continue to use they need a higher priced version.

    I do *not* care if I have to pay for the upgrade or not, I do care about developers being clear about their policy on upgrades and updates and will and will not be free of charge. That is all, do not try and drag this out into anything more than that, I have no interest in feeding the troll. You don't agree with my opinion, and I don't agree with you - I don't see that changing.
    Is it transparency, or clairvoyance?

    Honestly, the way most apps work is they require a purchase refresh when a new OS, or revision in the host application they work in is released. You are given free updates for the entirety of that OS' or host app's lifespan, but once a new version come out, you are traditionally charged again the full price, or an upgrade fee.

  5. #265
    Quote Originally Posted by Shart View Post
    Actually his statement was quite different.
    His statement isn't different at all, it's just worded differently. There are several posts already in this thread raising the same point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shart View Post
    IMO, it all boils down to this...

    1. Pay the upgrade
    2. Go without
    3. Steal it

    Lots of interesting posts were made concerning price points and whether more would have chosen 2 vs 1 or 3 if it had been handled differently. For example, if version 3 had been made to work under version 4 many most likely would have upgraded for the extra functionality. My gut tells me more money would have been reaped in the long run with that strategy, especially with choice #3 looming so large.

    Interesting economics in play on these little idevices...
    This is, indeed, what it boils down to. Decide whether you will buy it or not and move on. Yes, the developer probably should have done it differently. Lesson learned.

    Anyone that resorts to number 3 is just a scumbag to begin with and would likely have stolen it regardless and probably already has. Disagreeing with price and policy is in no way a legitimate excuse to pirate software.

    If they had updated 3.x to work under iOS4, how do you figure that would have made them more money in the long run? It is not profitable to maintain 2 apps that provide the same basic functionality because now you have to spend more resources maintaining 2 individual apps. As they've already said, MyWi 4.0 is a re-write; it is not the same software. What would your opinion be had they announced that they were terminating development on MyWi and that they were working on new software with a different name?
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 2010-06-29 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  6. #266
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Anyone that resorts to number 3 is just a scumbag to begin with and would likely have stolen it regardless and probably already has. Disagreeing with price and policy is in no way a legitimate excuse to pirate software.
    Sanctimonious rhetoric aside, I'm wondering if when you're dealing with a populace that was/is giddy about plunking down $10.00/$20.00 for functionality enabling them to "steal" service from AT&T, if all bets on the morality front are off.

    *new can of worms now open*

  7. #267
    @psuskeels,

    I am interested to get MyWi when I get my iPhone 4. However, I do not want to install ROCK. Are you planing to have a (NoRock) version soon? How can I pay for the app without getting ROCK? Is it possible that you can make PayPal as a form of payment for No Rock customers?

    Thank you,
    Ruben

  8. #268
    Quote Originally Posted by Shart View Post
    Sanctimonious rhetoric aside, I'm wondering if when you're dealing with a populace that was/is giddy about plunking down $10.00/$20.00 for functionality enabling them to "steal" service from AT&T, if all bets on the morality front are off.

    *new can of worms now open*
    How do you figure it's stealing service? The way I see it, AT&T is stealing from you when they charge you for tethering - they charge you for the data plan, and then they charge you to use it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rubenmer5 View Post
    @psuskeels,

    I am interested to get MyWi when I get my iPhone 4. However, I do not want to install ROCK. Are you planing to have a (NoRock) version soon? How can I pay for the app without getting ROCK? Is it possible that you can make PayPal as a form of payment for No Rock customers?

    Thank you,
    Ruben
    Yet another poster that can't be bothered to read through the thread before posting a question that has already been addressed.
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 2010-06-29 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. #269
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    How do you figure it's stealing service? The way I see it, AT&T is stealing from you when they charge you for tethering - they charge you for the data plan, and then they charge you to use it.
    See that's not so hard now is it? Now with just a little more effort I bet you can convince yourself it's justified to find a cracked version of MyWi 4.

    You did notice the "can of worms" crack, right?

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shart For This Useful Post:

    jayteez (2010-06-29)

  11. #270
    Theme Creator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of confusion
    Posts
    1,170
    Thanks
    519
    Thanked 648 Times in 427 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by madon View Post
    The same thing which was listed against practically every app until iOS4 was available? The same thing which the vast majority of apps then updated to work with 4.0 without an additional charge?

    But to be clear, as I stated in my post, it's about transparency and being honest with your customers about what they can expect to pay for in the future, and forewarning if there is going to be a pay-for update coming out which will increase the price above what it is currently being sold at so they can make an informed purchase, because however you look at it, they were sold it for one price, and then being told if they want to continue to use they need a higher priced version.

    I do *not* care if I have to pay for the upgrade or not, I do care about developers being clear about their policy on upgrades and updates and will and will not be free of charge. That is all, do not try and drag this out into anything more than that, I have no interest in feeding the troll. You don't agree with my opinion, and I don't agree with you - I don't see that changing.
    You sir, are right on the money with what you have said. I have to laugh at the people who say "read the damn post" and aren't even reading (or perhaps they just can't comprehend) the post that they are responding to...yes I'm talking about you Rokesomesmeefer! He is not saying anything about the price of the app, he is... ah hell never mind.

    Let's put it like this...how would you feel is you bought a 3GS, because for what ever reason you could not pony up the extra bucks, weren't eligible, or just decided that you didn't want the new 4G. So you go out and plunk down your money, and now your a happy camper. Now just a couple of months later, the new 4G comes out, and you find out that AT&T will no longer support 3G service on anything older than the 4G due to a system upgrade. Further, they will give you the option to buy a 4G...at the unsubsidized price. They will however give you a credit (NOT A DISCOUNT) for the amount that you have already paid for 3GS. Your alternative, should you not like that option, is to use your phone as a paperweight. (I am aware that it could still be used as an ipod, but that's not the point). Using your argument "So you are assuming that 3.x will work on ios4" AT&T could just say..."Hey, we never promised that your phone would work on any upgrade". Sorry pal, but that is just bad business. Again, a simple disclaimeer stating the plan to charge for an update to work on 4.0 was all that was needed. And the argument that "you should not expect the app to work on the new ios is BS! imagine the uproar if every dev did that (both in the app store and on Cydia), but didn't say anything until after you bought the app, even though they knew for months that they were going to charge you the same price again in order to keep using it.

  12. #271
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenmer5 View Post
    @psuskeels,

    I am interested to get MyWi when I get my iPhone 4. However, I do not want to install ROCK. Are you planing to have a (NoRock) version soon? How can I pay for the app without getting ROCK? Is it possible that you can make PayPal as a form of payment for No Rock customers?

    Thank you,
    Ruben
    The Dev has commented that a non Rock version is coming but has remained very silent on when. Since he's also the dev of Rock, I think he's trying to resurrect the garbage that is Rock. Oh well, looks like Xsellize will have a non-Rock version out soon, so I would pay the upgrade, but if they beat him to it, oh well, too bad for him (at least it'd be nice of him to answer, but although this dev charges a lot for an app, a good app at that, he seems to have no interest in customer service or follow-up after the fact).

  13. #272
    Quote Originally Posted by Shart View Post
    See that's not so hard now is it? Now with just a little more effort I bet you can convince yourself it's justified to find a cracked version of MyWi 4.

    You did notice the "can of worms" crack, right?
    I did, but you've missed the point. The amount of data I can use is limited by their terms of service. If i go over that, they charge me. Regardless of how I use the data, I have paid for that access. Now they want to charge me to use it on another device. I can't use any more than I've already paid for, so why should I have to pay twice to use it in another way?
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 2010-06-29 at 08:25 PM.

  14. #273
    Theme Creator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of confusion
    Posts
    1,170
    Thanks
    519
    Thanked 648 Times in 427 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    How do you figure it's stealing service? The way I see it, AT&T is stealing from you when they charge you for tethering - they charge you for the data plan, and then they charge you to use it.
    How do you figure AT&T is stealing from you? You are agreeing to the terms of service that they have set when you buy the phone. Nowhere in that agreement does it say that you can use a third party app to obtain a service to which they do not offer/prohibit, or are charging a fee for in order to use under their terms of service?That's like saying it's not stealing if you buy a $20 device that takes power from the power pole on the street instead of using your power that goes through your meter. Hah, you are one funny guy! But hey, if it helps you sleep better...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Yet another poster that can't be bothered to read through the thread before posting a question that has already been addressed.
    I wouldn't read through 17 pages either. perhaps the OP could edit the first post to include any new info on the subject.

  15. #274
    Quote Originally Posted by jbucko View Post
    This is a a bit off topic but is the modmyi app a shortcut or is it a real app.
    It's a webclip on your iphone. Just go on safari go to modmyi website and click the + button. Finally click add to homescreen and you have the modmyi icon it just takes you to the website.

  16. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    I did, but you've missed the point. The amount of data I can use is limited by their terms of service. If i go over that, they charge me. Regardless of how I use the data, I have paid for that access. Now they want to charge me to use it on another device. I can't use any more than I've already paid for, so why should I have to pay twice to use it in another way?
    Good, good. Now with just a little word tweaking here and there you can probably create a similar argument justifying grabbing a cracked WiFi 4.0.

    And no, I didn't miss the point...

  17. #276
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hihum View Post
    How do you figure AT&T is stealing from you? You are agreeing to the terms of service that they have set when you buy the phone. Nowhere in that agreement does it say that you can use a third party app to obtain a service to which they do not offer/prohibit, or are charging a fee for in order to use under their terms of service?That's like saying it's not stealing if you buy a $20 device that takes power from the power pole on the street instead of using your power that goes through your meter. Hah, you are one funny guy! But hey, if it helps you sleep better...
    Actually, the terms of service that I agreed to when I began service with AT&T mentioned nothing about tethering - that came later.
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 2010-06-29 at 08:59 PM.

  18. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Actually, the terms of service that I agreed to when I bought MyWi 3 mentioned nothing about not working under ios4 - that came later.
    Here, try this on and see how it feels... Damn, I had no intention of obtaining a cracked version and you're kinda talking me into it!

  19. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by Shart View Post
    Here, try this on and see how it feels...
    Oh right, because there was a terms of service for MyWi. FAIL.

  20. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Oh right, because there was a terms of service for MyWi. FAIL.
    They changed the terms of service and by staying with them I assume you agreed to those those changes, no?

  21. #280
    Quote Originally Posted by Shart View Post
    They changed the terms of service and by staying with them I assume you agreed to those those changes, no?
    So you are implying that remaining in a contract that penalizes you for termination before its finalization somehow translates to an agreement to a change in the terms of said contract after its commencement?

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •