Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Attention UK, France, Canada! Apple Confirms Unlocked SIM-Free iPhones

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by merllen View Post
    It's quadband and will work on att or tmobile
    Not true.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Even though it is sim free you still need to choose a carrier contract on the spot at pick up time is this correct?

No, it's SIM FREE, you buy just the phone and you insert what SIM you want.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harris.s.7 View Post
    Love it..... EU competition law, i did chuckle when the EU said it wasnt legal to lock to one carrier
    Shame you guys and gals cant order direct.... if you have anyone visiting the UK then get them to pick one up, post the packaging back and then fly home as if it was your own phone (3 or 4 and customs might get a bit sus)

Ok then why is it also unlocked in Canada ? So the eu competition law applies to Canada even though it's not European , is because Canada is under British laws is that why ? I thought Canada have their own laws and policies , hail to the queen? Or hell with the queen?
    Last edited by mytran80; 2010-06-15 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JLEW700 View Post
    For once I'm glad I live in Washington State. Closest Canadian Apple store is only 2 hours away!!! Is there a limit to how many iphones you can buy??
    Woohooo I'm with you!!!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeh Apple are selling them unlocked, I'm waiting to see what O2 offer before I preorder mine from Apple

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

So does this mean when updating say for example from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3, just an example, on this unlocked phone, we wouldn't have to unlock using blacksn0w?

I'm a little confused about what this is actually and if I buy a phone in Canada and bring it here to the US, will it work with tmobile?

I am somewhat skeptical about this. Apple did something similar once before they sold phones that were not locked to a carrier but when you plugged it into ITunes with a carrier SIM to activate it, it immediately locked it to that carrier.
    Hope this is different.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^Yes it'll reamin unlocked even if you update, restore or jailbreak it. You'll never need any unlocking program from GeoHot or Dev Team.

As people have stated, I think it will work but you will get no 3G on iPhone from T Mobile.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    ^Yes it'll reamin unlocked even if you update, restore or jailbreak it. You'll never need any unlocking program from GeoHot or Dev Team.

As people have stated, I think it will work but you will get no 3G on iPhone from T Mobile.
    Good to know. I'm not worried about the 3G speeds. I mainly use wifi anyway. But I can still run edge right? I have a 3g right now on tmobile and the slower speeds don't bother me. If I were to get a 4g, the speeds would be the same right, edge fast? lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So guys let me get this straight.... I am from Egypt and I am goin to UK in July... I can now just enter any apple store there give them 600 pounds and take the iPhone which will be totaly unlocked to whatever sim I use???? I use vodafone in Egypt . Thx for ur advice

I think this is the excuse i've been needing to go visit my family in Toronto, and perhaps visit the Apple Store at Eaton Centre just for the hell of it.

I'll even bring my dog shorty who who was born in Canada.

Can you say Eeehhhhh!
    Last edited by FlyingJoey; 2010-06-15 at 11:04 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It's actually "eh"

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pacmac View Post
    Unlocked will be nice if you can use the 3G radio for each carrier but I asume you can't..only use slow edge..not sure about other place but here in us we can only use t mobile but in edge so what's the point when your not using the phone at it's best to use it over 3G..I remember using t mo on edge and it slow..

This good for apple to make more money selling unlocked
    True, but that's the beauty of it. You can use AT&T if you want, or decide to save money and go T-Mobile. Win-win for you.
    Also, there are other [3]GSM carriers in the US besides AT&T and T-Mobile. For example Valero in Colorado has 3G that is compatible with the iPhone, among others. This lets regional/rural carrier customers use an iPhone with wicked speeds. Also, old AT&T Wireless, Dobson/CellOne, and other 'at&t-acquired' customers can use their current plans on these iPhones without changing to a newer at&t plan.

This is definitely good for those who decide to make a trip to the North... hehe
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 2010-06-15 at 10:38 PM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

So just to confirm, in Canada, full price SIM-free phones directly from Apple are unlocked...that makes sense from what's on the website.

I assumed that the phone from a carrier (ie. Rogers) would be carrier-locked, but provided at a subsidized price with contract.

Am I wrong? Will carrier supplied phones actually be unlocked?

but the iphone isn't UMTS 1700

Do you absolutely have to buy it from the apple store to get an unlocked one?? Like if I buy it from a carrier will it still be unlocked?
    Last edited by M4tt Dam0n; 2010-06-15 at 10:49 PM.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daerid View Post
    Does anyone know what bands the Canadian iPhone 4G will support? i.e., I am from the US, and want to buy one unlocked, will it work on the AT&T 4G, 3G and Edge? or will it be gimped?
    It is the same phone hardware-wise worldwide, however none of the support any form of 4G.

Quote Originally Posted by isuck View Post
    this is tota carp! Everone hates At&t, otherwise people wouldn't be unlocking their damn phones. Why cant Apple just make them to work within T-mobiles 3g specs, publicly say they dont condone unlocking, and enjoy the sales?
    It would look a little odd to add a 3G band that none of your official carriers use. Hell, it may be a part of their contract with ATT.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 2010-06-15 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Now i know where im traveling this Summer, ill go to Canada to buy my Iphone 4 Unlocked xD! LOL!!

What about those who had already purchase locked iPhones 3gs at full price, no contract, from apple store in Canada ?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast