Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No more unlimited data plans for new AT&T customers

I use the iPhone daily so much I need an external battery pack. I mainly browse the web, TON of Youtube, Pandora when my iPod library runs low (I have a bunch of smart playlists setup to keep music fresh but there's the odd day where I'll have listened to everything so my phone is empty of music), and email (work, attachments++) and looking at my usage I hover around 1.5-1.7 gigs/month. I've only gone over the 2GB mark once and that was during a month I was out of town without a PC and the iPhone was ALL I had and I was staying in a place with no Wifi whatsoever. Under regular conditions, my phone is on Wifi in the office and at home so the only data I really use is on the go.

Personally, I can't wait to switch. I already got rid of texting thanks to Google Voice, the less I can pay the better.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

I cant believe you people use so much data. 31 Gig's? I just want to know on what universe is it possible for productive, working adults to use that much data on a PHONE.

I thought I used a fair amount, then I checked my usage and saw that i havent been over 200 Meg's in 9 months. Granted, I using my Fios connection at home, but whenever I have free time, which really isn't that much, I'm surfing, checking mail, transferring money to/from savings... etc. My phone stays in my desk while I'm working but I Espn & Youtube my way through lunch.

I've also been on Windows Mobile since March, but my usage hasnt gone up or down from the change. Please explain why usage is so high - I'm genuinely baffled.
    Last edited by cpkirkley; 2010-06-03 at 05:15 AM.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think AT&T might understand that Data is there future. I mean i was kinda getting excited about the possibility of having an ipad $30 unlimited plan on my iphone and getting rid of voice. That would be all I need. But now, they caught on...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You guys fail to realize the impact on these new plans. Netflix is planning to release an app for the iPhone. Do you honestly think one could use the new tiered plans and stream Netflix on your iPhone? This will affect Netflix users who own an iPad. The whole point of an iPad 3G is to use it on the GO. It's limiting your use and contradicting AT&T prior statements. It seems like they are not "investing" money into their networks and plan to take their time rather than "spending billions" on what they had promised.

Rule of thumb: When you have more you use less, When you have less you use more. Many people will be paying the overages because that's how life works. With the supposed cloud storage coming soon by Apple imagine how that will have an affect on data usage. Think of the bigger picture.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    So if I were to sell my phone and have someone take over my plan (instead of canceling my account and paying an ETF) would that mean they could have unlimited bandwidth? Maybe this could raise the value of the phone that I'm trying to sell...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

They would have unlimited bandwidth BUT they have to STRESS the fact that they want to keep the UNLIMITED data plan for the iPhone.

Edit: Unlimited in AT&T lingo means 5GB soft cap.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Look that they are preparing everything for the iPhone 4G ah !!!!!

Video Calls = more data uses
    Tethering = more data uses

They got to change their plans so they can earn more money now.

I better buy my 4G on apple for a regular price and keep my unlimited data plan, otherwise they are going to charge me for data plan if I renew my contract so I can have my new iPhone 4G.

data intensive users are already on ATT...

The lower monthly bill will convince the majority of the public that would be fine with the lower 15$ cap.

Even the 25$ cap is good for alot of people. Most people are failing to realize, many have one or two peak months a year, then the rest they use a normal amount of data. (thats the majority of iPhone users i know) So you spend 40$'s a year in overage's, but you save 60$'s.... And imagine if your like most iPhone users, that use under 500 mb's a month? thats a 180$ a year saving. and imagine a family paying for 4 iPhone plans, with 3 people using less than 400 mb's, 1 person using 2gb's. Thats 600$'s a year less, which will attract alot more families.

More customers on ATT = less customers on other networks + more money for ATT, which means more 3g networks, and more development into the next stages of cellular data.
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 2010-06-03 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone mitchell209's Avatar
    Thanks

I never even use 5 gigs. Now I get to save some money. Although I probably won't be using MyWi as much.

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Look that they are preparing everything for the iPhone 4G ah !!!!!

Video Calls = more data uses
    Tethering = more data uses

They got to change their plans so they can earn more money now.

I better buy my 4G on apple for a regular price and keep my unlimited data plan, otherwise they are going to charge me for data plan if I renew my contract so I can have my new iPhone 4G.
    If you already have a unlimited data plan and are an AT&T customer you dont need to buy the phone at regular price.. you just upgrade and it will NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT change your unlimited plan...

its been stated over and over and over and over and over and over again..

Those current on AT&T unlimited data plans are GRANDFATHERED in and an UPGRADE will NOT change this... only NEW NEW NEW (Did i meantion NEWWWWWWWWWW) customers will not have the unlimited option..

I've always been surprised how the vast majority of people in the USA have not complained at paying for unlimited data that they will never use and then moan at AT&T for not providing a better service.
    Here in the UK there has always been a cap - Orange and O2 have a 1Gb cap an Vodafone a paltry 500Mb.
    Most people in the UK don't even know there is a cap.
    The people using vast amounts of data are the ones ruining the network for others.
    AT&T is just beginning to catch up with what other countries networks have been doing for years.
    Tethering is, I believe, specifically excluded from the AT&T Unlimited plan and although they have not charged for it yet, I would not be surprised if they do start in future when their network catches up in sophistication and they can reliably identify tethering.
    Steaming is also something they are likely to clamp down on.
    My data plan includes tethering and streaming - but not VOIP and I have a 3Gb limit - but then I chose this so I pay more than a basic package.
    I always thought Americans were pro choice?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Ok everyone, i have been with AT&T for about 8 years, i have 2 accounts with them, 3iphones on one, and 2 iphones on the other. here is the problem i see with this change. ok i am grandfathered in thats great for me i am happy with that. I travel allot so i tether via MyWi. use abut 2 to 3.5 gigs a month. with AT&T changing this for new customers, How Long before they say well, it's time to do this for everyone. Thats my worries.

They are unlikely to do that - but they might enforce the no tethering that's in your existing contract...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jlluna View Post
    Ok everyone, i have been with AT&T for about 8 years, i have 2 accounts with them, 3iphones on one, and 2 iphones on the other. here is the problem i see with this change. ok i am grandfathered in thats great for me i am happy with that. I travel allot so i tether via MyWi. use abut 2 to 3.5 gigs a month. with AT&T changing this for new customers, How Long before they say well, it's time to do this for everyone. Thats my worries.
    They can't change it without risking you leaving them for breach of contract(on their part).

Interesting, Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    They can't change it without risking you leaving them for breach of contract(on their part).
    They can change it once your contract ends and it is time to renew though. (although I doubt they will, just saying it is not outside their legal rights)

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I always thought Americans were pro choice?
    We are, except for with mobile phone companies. I have never been able to answer that mystery myself, but we just gladly take the crap they shovel in our faces and ask for more...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 2010-06-03 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone nrowensby's Avatar
    Thanks

This is actually good news for me... I have 5 smartphones on my plan (1 Palm Centro, 1 HTC Tilt, 2 iPhone 3G's and a Nexus One)... The only one that goes anywhere near the 2GB is the N1, and the Palm has only broken 100MB once in the last year. So I will be able to save $30/month by dropping 3 of my lines to the $25/m plan (from $30/m) and one of them to the $15/m plan. Just leave my NexusOne on the 5GB plan... why's everyone complaining?

Thanks
    With mywi I've been at 15+ gigs per month... no way I'm giving that up!!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Here is another question (that has probably been answered). Say I want to go down to the cheaper 2 gig cap. Will that lock my out of ever going back to the unlimited plan? There are times where I can foresee using more data. Could I just change the plan back to unlimited for the month that I travel?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

There won't be unlimited again. Once you switch that's it, you won't be able to get the unlimited plan again until AT&T brings it back (if they ever do)

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast