Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WiFi Sync finally hits iPhone...on Cydia

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

thanks, but after intalling wifi sync on my mac it says you an acces it on your mac with an icon on the taskbar near the system clock, I can't. When I open the app on my iPhone, it just keeps searching, and my iTunes won't recognize my iPhone
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigorangekitty's Avatar
    Thanks

make sure you're system requirements are met on your mac b4 you buy 10.5 or higher OS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

what do you mean? I do have 10.5.8
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

This sounds great, going to get it when the windows version comes out.

A couple of questions. Like others have asked, is it possible to get this sync working outside of your network? (i.e. on another sub net)

Is it possible to remote desktop in to the computer with iTunes and drag and drop stuff on to your iPhone to sync? I guess it would have to be backgrounder compatible. If you are syncing to your iPhone can you continue to do other things on it? or is it locked out just like it is when you do usb sync.

Thanks

for the whiners who can't stomach $10 - You are the reason the dev has to charge $10. If he said $5 you'd say it should be $2, if he said $2, you'd say it should be free. When the app must survive on the fringe of the iphone ecosystem a dev can't rely on sheer numbers to recoup the investment. I can't wait for the windows client so I can support the dev and do my small part to encourage dev's to turn to Cydia/Rock rather than dumb down their apps to get into the app store.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffhesser For This Useful Post:

gcastro723 (2010-05-15), Poseidon79 (2010-05-14)

can't believe people whine over a $10 app when they blow that much easily on some of the crap in apple's store. $10 to sync from anywhere in your house? hell yeah. a usb cable can easily cost much more. the developer spent a good amount of time figuring out how to bring us a feature apple has denied us for years and you want it for free. well, you can get it for free, just write your own application.

for me, the $10 was well spent. guess i'll skip an overpriced coffee or a drink or two this weekend.

many thanks to the developer. installed and working just fine on my 3gs. going to wait for official ipad support before i try it there.

for those who are asking. you must be on the same network as your desktop, no syncing from out in space. besides, do you really want all that data traveling through the internet? it does not disable usb sync either, for when you're doing mass transfers and want the extra speed. it's pretty quick but will always be slower than wired USB 2.0 speed, but for syncing contacts, a few songs, a couple of podcasts, it's quick enough. don't transfer 20g of movies and music unless you're going to let it run all night.

Found another sucky thing about this...

I don't leave my computer on 24/7, I haven't been able to use this unless I go and turn on my computer from hibernate.

I won't be leaving my computer on 24/7 either, that is just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhesser View Post
    for the whiners who can't stomach $10 - You are the reason the dev has to charge $10. If he said $5 you'd say it should be $2, if he said $2, you'd say it should be free. When the app must survive on the fringe of the iphone ecosystem a dev can't rely on sheer numbers to recoup the investment. I can't wait for the windows client so I can support the dev and do my small part to encourage dev's to turn to Cydia/Rock rather than dumb down their apps to get into the app store.
    The ones that complain will just go download the cracked version... the dev will not make money from those guys either way.

I use the Apple remote app to kick my Mac out of hibernation

I really don't understand the big deal. WiFi sync (at $9.99) is slow and you have to be within a certain proximity of your desktop/laptop for this to work. You are also draining battery power. This isn't OTA updates which would be a hell of a lot better.

The other "smarter" option (since you are sitting right next to your computer anyway) is to take a few seconds and just plug the damn thing in via secure USB connection for a faster sync with the added bonus of a charge to your battery.

If you are syncing 100s of songs or a movie you are going to want to use USB, not a slow battery draining WiFi session.

EDIT: I don't even use wireless SSH anymore. I do everything via USB. Safer and more secure and charges my battery.
    Last edited by southfrisco; 2010-05-14 at 04:41 PM.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

As I already stated, its a waste of my time to go get my USB cable which is plugged into the wall in my bedroom for charging.

Ive got a Macbook running all over the house and can also use it to sync at the office or during the day while im out working all over the place and no need to keep up with a cable.

I think its stupid that this feature isnt built into the OS to began with, at least as an option.

Besides, I dont sync often anyways, but im not cheap so this makes life alot easier for when I do. And about it being slow, on my home network its running about as fast as USB for a normal backup/sync.

At any rate, this is a good step in the right direction.
    Last edited by cpjr; 2010-05-14 at 04:47 PM.

hmm maybe thats possible. Setup a VPN at home,, configure iphone to connect to the vpn that'll put you on the same network. The sync app should realize that and see your mac and you should be able to sync... theoretically!!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Btw- do you have to be on the same wifi network as your computer or could you basically sync through the air (and jaadu or another vnc program running with sync program in the background) anywhere you have wifi. Because if this bad boy lets me sync my appstore apps while sittin in some restraunt waiting for my food that has wifi... I might just pay $100 for this app

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

AWESOME! Great job. Buying as soon as it's Windows ready.

use WOL (wake on lan) to turn the computer on. works for me.
    However to make WOL work over the internet, now thats a different ball game. I spent quite sometime on it to get it going..
    now i just want to figure out how to sync over the internet also. as i said in another post, VPN might be the answer!!

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    Found another sucky thing about this...

I don't leave my computer on 24/7, I haven't been able to use this unless I go and turn on my computer from hibernate.

I won't be leaving my computer on 24/7 either, that is just dumb.

The ones that complain will just go download the cracked version... the dev will not make money from those guys either way.

cool but this must really do a number on your battery life.

Default wifisync for mac crashes continuously on 10.5.8
    Application on mac keeps crashing. Sent email to support also.

I hate launching Itunes to sync my phone. A lot of times I install apps on my phone and since I charge the phone without opening itunes, I usually lose the apps when I have to restore my phone for one reason or another.

If you have mobileme this is the perfect companion. Does this also do an itunes backup?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Yes

19. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

T.A. (2010-05-17)

I use MyWi on my iPhone for Internet access with my Mac connected over wifi. Does anyone know if wireless sync will work in this situation?
    I wish they would do a trial version!

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shutterfriend View Post
    Application on mac keeps crashing. Sent email to support also.
    Looks like the developer just updated his site with a leopard version. I had the same problem. Going to try this.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

I don't know if you guys have been following, but the dev is threatening users who pirate this app to tamper with their iTunes library. While this may just be a scare tactic, if it is in fact true I wouldn't even want to mess around with this app. If there's any chance at all that it can screw up my itunes library i'd rather just grab a usb cable. Think about it, I'm sure there's a small chance that it could happen to an unfortunate legitimate buyer of this app....no thank you.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast