Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Firmware 3.1 Live for Download

Quote Originally Posted by a042349 View Post
    This isn't 2.x to 3.0 we're talking about here.

There isn't anything in this upgrade of any real consequence with the possible exception of voice control over BT. But even there I have heard you still need to push the home button to initiate a voice control prompt. Duh - if I wanted to push a button on the phone, I could also hold it up to my ear and give the command. (I still haven't confirmed this functionality)

I guess the video trimming update is nice, as is saving videos in email - but how much do you really do that?

Even if it readies us for MMS, the dev-team will have a working JB for us by the 25th.

I guess the better BT/Wifi interaction is a good fix for 3G users. I never had that problem and had both on all the time.

Arranging apps in iTunes is a nice feature, but honestly how often do you need to do that? And with so many of us Jailbroken, the options there (Winterboard, Categories, 5 Row Springboard) are many and likely will not allow this feature to work properly.

I'm not trying to be critical of anybody anxious to upgrade, just suggesting that this isn't a huge bunch of changes or improvements to get too impatient over.

I guess for a lot of us (myself included at other times) just doing any upgrade just "feels" like we're getting something shiny and new. As always, YMMV.

"These aren't the updates you're looking for, move along"

:-)

-JS
    That was your first post? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    Check for update at the top and I am downloading 3.1 so I will have it whenever a jailbreak and unlock comes available said 80 mins while downloading.
    i would like to have a jailbreak for 3.1 i want to mod my iphone. i'll wait till someone has it. i dont want to downgrade.

Doesn't look like much worth upgrading for? Pretty much just new way's for Apple to make more money.

Default will MMS work
    if we upgrade to 3.1 will mms work or still have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by ggab View Post
    That was your first post? Really?
    Haha - yeah, guess it was. I've had every iPhone version, about 2 dozen WinMo phones, a Palm Pre (for two weeks - just to play with it) and even a few Nokias, so I've been around the block a bit. I lurk more now, post every now and then.

I guess I just needed something interesting to say.

;-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone frail1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xchemical View Post
    if we upgrade to 3.1 will mms work or still have to wait
    you'll still have to wait most likely. mine worked with the updated carrier file but apparently it's not normal.

Quote Originally Posted by jpeepers View Post
    Doesn't look like much worth upgrading for? Pretty much just new way's for Apple to make more money.

How? It's a free upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by frail1 View Post
    you'll still have to wait most likely. mine worked with the updated carrier file but apparently it's not normal.
    Where is this found at? I was unaware of this...and I don't know why. lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by se7ensmatrix1216 View Post
    Where is this found at? I was unaware of this...and I don't know why. lol
    it's the same modified 5.0 carrier file that's been around forever, the one i used on my 3g

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

redsnow is on its way.... :-) Has anyone had any luck with MMS? I am wondering if the feature will show up if a different sim card was installed!!!??? I will try mu European sim as soon as I can download the new ipsw... Unfortunatlly my DL shows 30hrs... WTH is that all about? non-the-less Ill post back as soon as I get er dloaded...

DK-OUT

I currently have a 3GS on ATT with no plans to need unlocking any time soon. It seems to me I should be fine to upgrade now. At some point the Dev Team will almost have to come up with a solution for the new baseband since there will be phones that will have that version out of the box. My only real concern is being able to unlock my current phone when it comes time to sell or pass it on. A friend bought my 2G and is using it unlocked and without a data plan (wifi only) on ATT. She didn't want to have to sign a new contract for a used phone.

So, does anyone see a reason not to upgrade if I won't need to unlock for almost 2 years.

I may want to Jailbreak the 3GS at some point but that isn't a function of the baseband as far as I know.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Carlos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    6 Hours... 34 mins... and 51 seconds. Watch the clock and get back to me.
    Lmao
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

Wait...I just re-read the main post. Does updating to 3.1 disable the ability to jailbreak? Or is it just the ability to unlock?

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok managed to get a friend with faster internet.

Upgraded to 3.1
    put in a NON ATT sim card. I used my European SIM (Apple compatable) and whala MMS apeared. Enabled it and swapped the card. Yup still working. If the JS/unlock comes out before the 25th than this is a option that any one can use once you unlock the phone. Or wait until the 25th... Did I mention that tether works as well?... :-)

DK

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    If you aren't on ATT or a factory unlocked phone they won't honor your warranty anyway.
    Yes they will. I didn't have an ATT account or even a receipt for the 32g 3GS I own and they exchanged it no questions asked. They just use your serial number to look up the warranty. I just stuck the original ATT sim card in there and took it in.

Quote Originally Posted by se7ensmatrix1216 View Post
    Wait...I just re-read the main post. Does updating to 3.1 disable the ability to jailbreak? Or is it just the ability to unlock?
    probably just unlock... but maybe both

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tpd View Post
    I currently have a 3GS on ATT with no plans to need unlocking any time soon. It seems to me I should be fine to upgrade now. At some point the Dev Team will almost have to come up with a solution for the new baseband since there will be phones that will have that version out of the box. My only real concern is being able to unlock my current phone when it comes time to sell or pass it on. A friend bought my 2G and is using it unlocked and without a data plan (wifi only) on ATT. She didn't want to have to sign a new contract for a used phone.

So, does anyone see a reason not to upgrade if I won't need to unlock for almost 2 years.

I may want to Jailbreak the 3GS at some point but that isn't a function of the baseband as far as I know.

when you bring your own "used" phone to a carrier you do not sign a new contract. the only reason you sign up for a contract is so you can get the subsidized pricing on a new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior2377 View Post
    probably just unlock... but maybe both
    Not worth the risk of perminately losing JB. lol

::Waits for Redsn0w update...patiently, I swear it!::

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

I like when new firmware is released. It is fun to see the comments of the people that upgrade but then wonder about why the JB is gone. Dev's blog is just funny.

I will be waiting and hopefully they have it up soon, if not no big deal I can wait. I also need to grab my files before doing an upgrade for the 3GS. I had them for the first 3GS but had to get it replaced for dust under the screen and never got around to capturing them for the new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    I like when new firmware is released. It is fun to see the comments of the people that upgrade but then wonder about why the JB is gone. Dev's blog is just funny.

I will be waiting and hopefully they have it up soon, if not no big deal I can wait. I also need to grab my files before doing an upgrade for the 3GS. I had them for the first 3GS but had to get it replaced for dust under the screen and never got around to capturing them for the new phone.
    I agree. I'm over there reading what people are saying and just laughing. Even I knew to uncheck the auto update when I first plugged my phone into iTunes when I got it home...

...my fiance failed to do so...which meant I had to re-jailbreak her phone a few weeks ago. Needless to say, I made sure this wouldn't happen again.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast