Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 115

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Official Apple iPhone Unlock Possible!?!

  1. #81
    what about these?
    Apple iPhone 3Gs 32GB Never-Locked LEGALLY Unlocked GSM Cell Phone - 8859091859 - Buy.com

    Quote Originally Posted by MacXperte View Post
    Every iPhone out-of-the-box is equal: neither locked nor unlocked.

    When the iPhone is activated, Apple's database determines what kind of lock the individual device should have and sends an Activation Token that can only be used on that particular iPhone. The Token is encrypted and signed so it could only be forged by obtaining their private key. See Unlock - The iPhone Wiki for details.

    Wether an iPhone will be locked or unlocked is completely up to the Carrier selling it. When a Carrier unlocks an iPhone, they tell Apple to update the record for that specific device. Next time iTunes checks for updates for your phone, it receives a new Activation Token.

    There are quite some Carriers (most of them in Europe and SE-Asia), who decided to have no SIM-lock at all. The iPhone Activation Support Page lists those, and for the others it shows, wether an official unlock is offered. Again: this list represents the Carriers' policies to Apple's best knowledge and NOT limitations imposed by Apple or the iPhone itself.

    Why is unofficial activation so much easier than unofficial unlocking?
    In both cases it is not the Activation Token itself that is patched, but the code that validates it. For activation the check is done by the OS, for the SIM-lock it is done by the baseband which is much more difficult to hack.

    Iphone 3G, Mac Book, Ipad Mini, Vista, Windows 7

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by MacXperte View Post
    Every iPhone out-of-the-box is equal: neither locked nor unlocked.

    When the iPhone is activated, Apple's database determines what kind of lock the individual device should have and sends an Activation Token that can only be used on that particular iPhone. The Token is encrypted and signed so it could only be forged by obtaining their private key. See Unlock - The iPhone Wiki for details.

    Wether an iPhone will be locked or unlocked is completely up to the Carrier selling it. When a Carrier unlocks an iPhone, they tell Apple to update the record for that specific device. Next time iTunes checks for updates for your phone, it receives a new Activation Token.

    There are quite some Carriers (most of them in Europe and SE-Asia), who decided to have no SIM-lock at all. The iPhone Activation Support Page lists those, and for the others it shows, wether an official unlock is offered. Again: this list represents the Carriers' policies to Apple's best knowledge and NOT limitations imposed by Apple or the iPhone itself.

    Why is unofficial activation so much easier than unofficial unlocking?
    In both cases it is not the Activation Token itself that is patched, but the code that validates it. For activation the check is done by the OS, for the SIM-lock it is done by the baseband which is much more difficult to hack.
    Great post - pity it's rubbish!
    Some people will believe anything.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  3. #83
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 789 Times in 731 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Great post - pity it's rubbish!
    Some people will believe anything.
    OK ..... so maybe I'm an idiot.

    Care to share some 'non-rubbish' information?

  4. #84
    OK - we both know you are not an idiot. But I am drunk and off on my honeymoon in the morning.
    Phones are locked. Apple can unlock them for certain models but based on Carrier , NOR and other things.
    I used to have the link to an article where the Dev Team explained why it can't be done but just upgraded to Win7 and lost everything, I'll find it again, but not now.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  5. #85
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 789 Times in 731 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    OK - we both know you are not an idiot. But I am drunk and off on my honeymoon in the morning.
    Phones are locked. Apple can unlock them for certain models but based on Carrier , NOR and other things.
    I used to have the link to an article where the Dev Team explained why it can't be done but just upgraded to Win7 and lost everything, I'll find it again, but not now.
    Hey congratulations!!! .... and STOP reading MMI (hahahahaha)

    Take you time with the Dev-Team link. I'll search around their blog.

  6. #86
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Here in Australia we can buy them off the shelf unlocked. If someone wants one send some cash this way and I'll sort it out for you.

    iPhone - Apple Store (Australia)

    Other wise you can sign up to a contract with Telstra, Vodafone, Optus, Virgin, Three ect (we are pretty lucky here we have the pick of a number or carriers)

    From there you get your carrier to unlock it for you for a small fee. I'm with Vodafone and they charge $25 to unlock a phone doesn't take long at all so there is no messing around with all the software crap and locking phones when a new FW update comes out.

    EDIT: Sorry if this has been said a million times, not interested in reading 6 pages of posts to find out.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Nope. It's not common knowledge in the US. No 'authorized' rep will say anything (maybe they don't even know ). Very few iPhone users even know they're getting the shaft, and for those few, it takes lots of research to find the keys. Lots of blab, little substance.
    Oh yeah, I forgot how insular the US is. If it does happen there, then it cannot be true. haha.

  8. #88
    I'm surprised to see that this is not available everywhere
    Here in Denmark, you buy the iPhone with 6 months subscription, and after that, the carrier will unlock your phone for free. If I want it unlocked right away I can just pay about 60$ and they will unlock it. Still have to pay for the subscription each month though, so I see no reason to unlock it before the 6 months subscription is expired.

  9. #89
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,474
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

    ^ Would be nice

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by MacXperte View Post
    Every iPhone out-of-the-box is equal: neither locked nor unlocked.

    When the iPhone is activated, Apple's database determines what kind of lock the individual device should have and sends an Activation Token that can only be used on that particular iPhone. The Token is encrypted and signed so it could only be forged by obtaining their private key. See Unlock - The iPhone Wiki for details.

    Wether an iPhone will be locked or unlocked is completely up to the Carrier selling it. When a Carrier unlocks an iPhone, they tell Apple to update the record for that specific device. Next time iTunes checks for updates for your phone, it receives a new Activation Token.

    There are quite some Carriers (most of them in Europe and SE-Asia), who decided to have no SIM-lock at all. The iPhone Activation Support Page lists those, and for the others it shows, wether an official unlock is offered. Again: this list represents the Carriers' policies to Apple's best knowledge and NOT limitations imposed by Apple or the iPhone itself.

    Why is unofficial activation so much easier than unofficial unlocking?
    In both cases it is not the Activation Token itself that is patched, but the code that validates it. For activation the check is done by the OS, for the SIM-lock it is done by the baseband which is much more difficult to hack.

    I agree! thanks to all the devs out there who rely on donations for their hard work, many of the casual, (but somewhat intelligent :P ) consumers can enjoy their iPhone just as much

  11. #91
    thanx alot for the news

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by tuton11 View Post
    I agree! thanks to all the devs out there who rely on donations for their hard work, many of the casual, (but somewhat intelligent :P ) consumers can enjoy their iPhone just as much
    Not sure what you are agreeing with? The person you quoted who was just wrong? Or developers who take donations? Unlike the Dev Team who help us most?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  13. #93
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,474
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

    I agree

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I agree
    I agree with you agreeing
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  15. #95
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,474
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I agree with you agreeing
    Then we both agree that our agreement has been agreed upon?

  16. #96
    No! i don't think we can agree on that!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  17. #97
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,474
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    No! i don't think we can agree on that!

  18. #98
    Custom Title angiepangie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Golden State :)
    Posts
    3,844
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 222 Times in 211 Posts



    Hasn't the unlock always been possible?
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

  19. #99
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,474
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

    Of course it has

  20. #100
    What unlock? I have no idea what this thread is about, I was just waorried that someone might think I could agree with SB when we all know that is impossible!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •