Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TomTom Turn by Turn GPS - $100 in AppStore Now

Well you have your opinion and I have mine. My opinion is this is a waste of money.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Biggest advantage of my TomTom app, not only does the GPS works, its works with my Incase Power Slider!! Yea, umm buhbye Navigon! Been running it with backgrounder all day and am extremely happy

Negative point from comparison...

I know most standalones dont have this, but i just wish that searching for a particular location by the name of the business was as easy as the Maps.app. Besides that, I'm impressed

Quote Originally Posted by kwickone View Post
    These statements crack me up....and the other ones like "nobody should buy this app because it is too expensive"!

People buy apps because they 1) want it and 2) have the money to buy it. I wanted the TomTom app, and I had the money to buy it. And I like it...it works for me.

Your comment is like me saying:

"Someone who buys a standalone GPS is stupid because they could have everything on their iPhone".

That statement does not make any sense either. Just becuase it is my choice to have an iPhone Nav app, does not make it right for anyone else. My opinion of course

EDIT: You see, another one just popped up above this when I was typing!
    I didnt say your stupid if you buy it I was just wondering why you would want this over a stand alone GPS. If you think about it logically it doesn't really make sense to me. If you'd rather have it on you're phone great but the fact you can't take calls on your phone while the app is running kills it for me.

I just came back from an 800 mile trip and this app is awesome and worth every penny of it. Now to refute a couple of negative points thrown around:

1. Why not buy a stand-alone unit for the same price? I want my iPhone to be my one gadget for everything. The less I have to carry with me, the better. Bringing my iPhone along is like bringing 10 different things with me. The convenience of having everything in one powerful device is worth the price of admission.

2. But what if you get calls?!?!? Like I said earlier, I just took an 800 miles trip (proof attached of final trip count) and I did received a couple of calls along the way. The app obviously closes when a call comes in. However, resuming the application is pretty quick. When you re-open it, it'll go straight to the map view, get a lock on the gps, and continue giving directions. Sometimes it goes funky with poor gps signals and takes maybe 20-30 to resume normal guidance however, I found two ways to avoid this:

a. Answer the call and immediately open the app. People make it sound like you can't do anything else when you take a call. Put the call on speaker and re-open the app! If you're quick enough, the GPS won't lose connection or whatever and the app will resume almost instantly.

b. For a forum about modding, I'm surprised this option hasn't been suggested: BACKGROUNDER. It works marvelously with TomTom. At one point where I kinda knew the roads but just needed reminders of when to turn I just put the app on background and did other things on the phone. Every now and then I'd get a voice notification of a turn coming up. Re-opening the app while backgrounded brings it up instantly without any delays since it's been running all along.

I used it to get from A to B, find places to eat, and a nice hotel to stay for the night. The fact that it has all the map information locally is a godsend too, since for maybe 70% of the trip I was in 1-2 bars of EDGE with no 3G for hours.

UNRELATED SIDE NOTE - This app will also be the only GPS app to have support for both the 2G iPhone and the iPod Touch thanks to the TomTom dock which has its own GPS receiver. A bit expensive (dock+app) but the option will be there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -090.jpg  
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 2009-08-20 at 06:27 AM.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Quads View Post
    Such a shame that it does not support the data services like traffic. Its annoying to start with that the iPhone does not work with stand-alone tomtoms with data services let along the bloody build in one
    I can totally see them adding this and other stuff (text-to-speech for road names) in future upgrades (for $$$ of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    I just came back from an 800 mile trip and this app is awesome and worth every penny of it. Now to refute a couple of negative points thrown around:

1. Why not buy a stand-alone unit for the same price? I want my iPhone to be my one gadget for everything. The less I have to carry with me, the better. Bringing my iPhone along is like bringing 10 different things with me. The convenience of having everything in one powerful device is worth the price of admission.

2. But what if you get calls?!?!? Like I said earlier, I just took an 800 miles trip (proof attached of final trip count) and I did received a couple of calls along the way. The app obviously closes when a call comes in. However, resuming the application is pretty quick. When you re-open it, it'll go straight to the map view, get a lock on the gps, and continue giving directions. Sometimes it goes funky with poor gps signals and takes maybe 20-30 to resume normal guidance however, I found two ways to avoid this:

a. Answer the call and immediately open the app. People make it sound like you can't do anything else when you take a call. Put the call on speaker and re-open the app! If you're quick enough, the GPS won't lose connection or whatever and the app will resume almost instantly.

b. For a forum about modding, I'm surprised this option hasn't been suggested: BACKGROUNDER. It works marvelously with TomTom. At one point where I kinda knew the roads but just needed reminders of when to turn I just put the app on background and did other things on the phone. Every now and then I'd get a voice notification of a turn coming up. Re-opening the app while backgrounded brings it up instantly without any delays since it's been running all along.

I used it to get from A to B, find places to eat, and a nice hotel to stay for the night. The fact that it has all the map information locally is a godsend too, since for maybe 70% of the trip I was in 1-2 bars of EDGE with no 3G for hours.

UNRELATED SIDE NOTE - This app will also be the only GPS app to have support for both the 2G iPhone and the iPod Touch thanks to the TomTom dock which has its own GPS receiver. A bit expensive (dock+app) but the option will be there
    Ive had a similar experience today, as stated before this app freaking rocks my socks off!!!

to the dude calling all us b****cks who praised it suck me sideways

Thanks

This is not really the ONLY gps that will work with the earlier iPhone because the craddle does work with any other GPS software.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ +1

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Quads View Post
    Such a shame that it does not support the data services like traffic. Its annoying to start with that the iPhone does not work with stand-alone tomtoms with data services let along the bloody build in one
    Another area where CoPilot has always scored over TomTom whereas with TT you know you will have to pay extra most things are usually free with CP

Although Trafic and safety camera warnings are not in the initial release of CP they will be in an update soon. I'm not sure if petrol prices will be included in the next release but they are coming soon. You can also search for POIs by name.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I wonder if GARMIN will ever release their NAV app for the iphone......hope so!!! I wonder if TomTom for the iphone has the capability to record your own voice for guidance like their stand alone.

Why on earth would anyone want to use their own voice? Narcissism?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesteve View Post
    This is not really the ONLY gps that will work with the earlier iPhone because the craddle does work with any other GPS software.
    Yeah, I'm sure TomTom will let other GPS apps to use their dock.

But I am also fairly sure that CoPilot and probably the others, have no capability of accessing external receivers.

What I want to know is can this TT app on the iPhone be able to use an external bluetooth GPS dongle?

I had TT on a Nokia N95 and on a PDA, both hooked up via bluetooth to this GPS dongle and worked great. You may wonder why I'm askng this as the iPhone has inbuilt GPS, but the signal reception for this dongle was beyond exceptional, I used to have it permanently charging inside the centre console of the car, hidden away.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure TomTom will let other GPS apps to use their dock.
    It's not up to TomTom to allow or disallow. Any hardware vendor must conform to Apple's specification. The compatibility is ensured by Apple, not TomTom.

TomTom Car Kit to Be Compatible With iPod Touch and Other GPS iPhone Applications? - Mac Rumors
    Last edited by eaglesteve; 2009-08-21 at 12:02 PM.

Oooh, interesting. Didn't know that little Tidbit.

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

they're crazy with their pricing, i think they're setting themselves up for the app to get stolen for the pricing reason alone. maybe $50, is reasonable. but $100?! and you also have to by the hardware to set it up in your car, they should sell the hardware with a discounted software price, or something.

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

Well Im "trying" out TomTom,Navigon,and Sygic and so far I like Navigon A LOT better The TomTom is just OK NOT WOTRH $100+$$$ for the dock USD NOW WAY NO HOW If Im going to spend that much money Ill buy a standalone GPS
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

$100 is way too high

You're better off buying a real GPS device

I'll laugh when someone releases an app twice as better for half the price

Come correct or don't come at all
    64 GB iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 Jailbroken & Unlocked
    64 GB iPad 3 on 5.1.1 Jailbroken

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

wow !!!! a bit too much for the app.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast