Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi Released! Turn your iPhone into a Wifi hotspot!

NOT THE BEST... doesnt work with PSP, PS3 consoles... still being an AD HOC connection, consoles dont connect through ADHOC, AGAIN, another application for PC, LAPTOPS... just computers... can someone make the application with SSD interface? (like WMwifiRouter)

All: There is def. an issue related to the purplera1n jailbreak (Thanks to DaveiPhone for confirming as well). We are completing a workaround for this. (Feel free to rejailbreak via Redsn0w in the meantime, as you're likely to have other problems in the future)

THIS WILL RESULT IN MYWI DISCONNECTING AFTER 1 MINUTE

Thanks for your patience!
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

I'm having some issues with my trial of MyWi as well. I have a 3g iphone which I used the latest version (.8) of redsn0w to jailbreak. Installed rockapp via Cydia then installed MyWi via rockapp. The application starts, I can turn wifi tethering on, it says the network (I named mine iphone) is broadcasting, however no device will connect. About 50% of the time when I go to the home screen and then back into the app, wifi tethering has been switched off and usb and Bluetooth tethering is on. I have tried soft reboots as well as switching the phone off and then back on. I have tried multiple WiFi channels and have not even attempted using WEP yet. I'm not experiencing any other issues with the jb, wifi works great, etc. Any ideas?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psuskeels View Post
    All: There is def. an issue related to the purplera1n jailbreak (Thanks to DaveiPhone for confirming as well). We are completing a workaround for this. (Feel free to rejailbreak via Redsn0w in the meantime, as you're likely to have other problems in the future)

I've got the disconnect after about a minute problem on a jailbroken 3G.. never used purplerain.

I'll buy the app as soon as this great app is fixed!

I originally jb with PR but then did a full restore and jb with redsn0w. I'm still getting disconnected after a minute. Is it possible the full restore did not remove the PR jb?

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

I have heard mostly bad reviews of the redsn0w on the 3GS, and mostly good reviews of Purplera1n. I think I will wait for your workaround. Hope it is soon!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I jailbroke with redsn0w twice and purplera1n, both times set up as new phone and still disconnects after 1 minute so it's not purplera1n!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

FWIW, I jb'd with redsn0w and never used purplera1n and I still get disconnected from the Internet after about a minute.

Default Rock & MiWi Broke Cydia?
    Don't know if this is the right place to post this or not? Right after I installed Rock and then MiWi (paid for it) Cydia quit working. When I try to start it it just jumps back to the springboard.

Have uninstalled Cydia and then reinstalled it via mobile terminal and the problem is still there.

Also used DevTeam ultrasn0w jailbreak to rejailbreak and install Cydia after removing it with mobile terminal. All with the same problem.

All of the Apps installed by Cydia work fine. MiWi seems to work fine also. Have not used it for extended period of time though.

Syslogd says the problem with Cydia is:
    Application 'Cydia' exited abnormally with signal 10: bus error

Crash Reporter says:
    exe_bad_access(sigbus)

apt-get update says there is no problem with Cydia.

The Cydia log file in /tmp has not data in it.

Am at a loss as to what is going on. It is on a new 3gs phone. Rock was installed with Cydia. MiWi was installed with Rock. No other apps were installed after this.

Has anyone else had problems with Cydia after installing
    Rock or MiWi on a 3gs phone?

Jim K.
    Last edited by jimcking; 2009-07-09 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
    FWIW, I jb'd with redsn0w and never used purplera1n and I still get disconnected from the Internet after about a minute.
    Same here. I finally got a device to connect via wifi, but like everyone else, it barely lasts a minute.

Mine is doing the EXACT same thing as everyone else plus it barely works with a PSP or a DS

How do you release something and expect people to pay for it When It Doesn't Work!? Come correct
    64 GB iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 Jailbroken & Unlocked
    64 GB iPad 3 on 5.1.1 Jailbroken

Green Apple
    Thanks
    since i don't need this right away and pdanet works just fine, i'm content to wait.

First off, the app MyWi has a termendous amount of promise! It looks like they did great work and it once they tackle a few minor things like disconnect times, the application should be complete.

However, I am perplexed at the lack of direct response and vague answers about data usage and carrier detection.

It appears that we have developers directly in this forum, but they either don't care to take the time to answer the simple question about usage or they just don't know how their own app works.

Will using MyWi result in usage via the tethering "internet" APN or the standard "wap" APN?

There are multiple wireless profiles that cellular carriers use. Some offer proxied or re-encoded access to sites for minimal data usage (often on low end handsets), some use standard access and expect moderate usage and throughput like Smartphones, and even still other profiles are intended for high throughput and usage like tethering USB dongles. Each of these are predefined APN's. If you're subscribed to a data plan and accidentally modify your APN, you may still be charged ala carte usage per KB since you didn't use the APN you are subscribed to. Hence, the need to verify where what APN the application is routing our data through.

My concern is from the USB/Bluetooth tethering method because it appears to be relying on the official tethering behavior embedded within the OS which could result using the official tethering APN and usage fees.

Last thing we want is to have people end up with exorbitant fees that they aren't expecting.

I understand there is a disclaimer about subscribing to tether when starting the app which is all well and good. We just need to understand what exactly the app is doing.

Thanks again for this app! Hopefully, we will all be able to use it safely.

Cheers!

Yet another app I would really like to pay for and use but will not be doing so due to ridiculous RockApp restrictions. Everybody already has either Cydia or Icy using the same repos. You want to make some money, good. I don't blame you. Sell things through Cydia or do it the oldschool way and have sales go through your own website. Forcing people to use RockApp is ridiculous. I paid for IntelliScreen and was a very happy user for a long time until it was decided to move to RockApp. Had issues from day one trying that piece of crap and frankly I just don't want to have a 3rd app installed just to get updates for something I paid for.

Sorry, rant over. I know some people don't mind it. I'm very happy for them. I'm fairly sure I'm not the only lost customer because of that decision, though.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sysrage For This Useful Post:

cphase (2009-07-10)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Real_Iphonecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch77 View Post
    First off, the app MyWi has a termendous amount of promise! It looks like they did great work and it once they tackle a few minor things like disconnect times, the application should be complete.

However, I am perplexed at the lack of direct response and vague answers about data usage and carrier detection.

It appears that we have developers directly in this forum, but they either don't care to take the time to answer the simple question about usage or they just don't know how their own app works.

Will using MyWi result in usage via the tethering "internet" APN or the standard "wap" APN?

There are multiple wireless profiles that cellular carriers use. Some offer proxied or re-encoded access to sites for minimal data usage (often on low end handsets), some use standard access and expect moderate usage and throughput like Smartphones, and even still other profiles are intended for high throughput and usage like tethering USB dongles. Each of these are predefined APN's. If you're subscribed to a data plan and accidentally modify your APN, you may still be charged ala carte usage per KB since you didn't use the APN you are subscribed to. Hence, the need to verify where what APN the application is routing our data through.

My concern is from the USB/Bluetooth tethering method because it appears to be relying on the official tethering behavior embedded within the OS which could result using the official tethering APN and usage fees.

Last thing we want is to have people end up with exorbitant fees that they aren't expecting.

I understand there is a disclaimer about subscribing to tether when starting the app which is all well and good. We just need to understand what exactly the app is doing.

Thanks again for this app! Hopefully, we will all be able to use it safely.

Cheers!

This has already been answered. It uses the same data plan as mobile Safari, email app etc.. and should not be detected. However if you choose to be stupid and start downloading movies and other large files and go over the 3gb cap then you will more than likely be red flaged.

So for light use you should be fine and not incure any extra charges.
    Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 2009-07-09 at 08:37 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i like having all the apps in rockapp. let's me easily discover anything new they might have released.

Quote Originally Posted by jcdeblok View Post
    I've got the disconnect after about a minute problem on a jailbroken 3G.. never used purplerain.

I'll buy the app as soon as this great app is fixed!
    +1

1 minute or so and then I get disconnected. No visual change on the phone, but the ad-hoc WiFi connection is disappearing. Checked with 2 laptops and it's gone. (I have 'auto discover networks' turned off in settings too, fyi) I also noticed that WiFi Tethering is turned off when I go back into MyWi, and USB Tethering has been re-enabled even though I turned it off. I thought this was because I was currently charging (on a dumb power only usb port) but this is not the case. Unplugged, same issue after 1 minute. I have restarted, more than once.

Once fixed I will buy this. I'll also want another trial period.

Jailbroken 3G, using 3.0 PwnageTool jb firmware. (Mac created, installed via PC.)
    Last edited by reanimationxp; 2009-07-09 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks

i don't understand why this is good. Teathering is allowed with a 3G or 3GS iphone, so what good is this?

if i have teathering on my phone already - then why pay 9.99 (not that it's expensive, or i'm cheap)?

if i paid 9.99 for this app, it wont prevent AT&T from...

a. knowing that i am teathering my phone with computers.
    b. charging me for the teathering that i am doing anyway.

I just don't see the point to this app. someone enlighten me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wadestock View Post
    i don't understand why this is good. Teathering is allowed with a 3G or 3GS iphone, so what good is this?

if i have teathering on my phone already - then why pay 9.99 (not that it's expensive, or i'm cheap)?

I see two differences (the first being the major one):

1. It allows you to set up a Wifi Hotspot wherever you are. Tethering will not let you do that. So if you and the wife/buddy/whomever need Internet access via laptops at the same time, and no free wifi around...bingo...you now have "free" wifi.
    2. It has been said that the standard 3.0 Tethering on the 3G/3GS is slower than the "pay" apps, like this app and PDANet. Speed is key of course when it comes to Internet connections.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wadestock View Post

Tethering let's you set up a connection only on computers and only on one at a time. Say your friend had an iPod touch and wanted to get online right then, but didn't have a wifi connection. You could let him/her use your phone, or just your phone's connection so you can still use the phone normally.

Or if YOU have another device other than a computer that let's you access the Internet, you can use this for it.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast