Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi Released! Turn your iPhone into a Wifi hotspot!

This is cool. However, if I just need to get my MacBook Pro online through my iPhone 3GS, what do I get using MyWi that I can't do with the unofficial tethering option? Does AT&T see the data differently?

The app only seems to work for a few minutes and then stops sending or receiving any data. Anyone else experiencing this?

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^Yes

Quote Originally Posted by ron4543 View Post
    Ok this may seem like an odd question but trust me it makes sense.

I spend most of my life in hotels and have never been able to bring my xbox360 along to play on internet due to it not having a browser to type in the password for the hotel. Would this program allow me to create a wi-fi signal with the hotels wi-fi connection thus allowing my xbox to bypass the password check?
    I don't think you'll need the hotel wifi at all if you have this app, connect your 360 straight to you iPhone using the MyWi.

My PS3 and MacBook seem to be picking it up but none connect
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 2009-07-08 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetallicaFan1991 For This Useful Post:

ron4543 (2009-07-08)

iPhone? More like MyPhone bootleg's Avatar
    Thanks

well, i'm on t-mobile and it works for sure. i sat in my car, had my laptop with me, plugged in my iphone (32 3gs) turned on the app and the laptop saw the phone as a hotspot and so...

i made an app for rock the phone and my-wi and it was nice to do it on my 15' screen instead on the phone itself.

if you can get data service on your phone it's redundant of course for most things, but sometimes when you need the laptop to create something or do anything where a nice size screen is needed and send it off well,...i'd say this is a nice app...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0012.png  

Thanks

So does it work for 3gs or does not

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gruk View Post
    The app only seems to work for a few minutes and then stops sending or receiving any data. Anyone else experiencing this?

yeah me too..
    -uninstalled pdaNet
    -tried different web sec. settings
    -updated to .93
    -tried different laptops and an old HTC pda
    -tried insomnia on/off
    -started with wifi on/off
    -tried only http traffic, only ftp and only a mp3 stream..
    -iPhone on/off

It all works for less then a minute and then is loses the connection. Internet on the iPhone still works, so i guess its the mywi app that has a short attention span.

I installed it via cydia->rockapp->mywi.. updated everything to latest versions.

I'll hope this gets fixed soon!

got a 16GB 3G with 3.0 + jailbreak.

apps I got that might interfere:
    -sbsettings
    -insomnia
    -backgrounder

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcdeblok For This Useful Post:

gruk (2009-07-08), jasonmoe (2009-07-08)

Well the reason I say wi-fi is in case I don't have a strong 3g signal if at all, plus wi-fi speeds would be quite a bit faster for online gaming compared to 3g

Quote Originally Posted by ssfirme View Post
    So does it work for 3gs or does not
    it does but only for a few minutes before the connection craps out but i don't think that's a 3gs issue as 3g users are seeing the same thing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    the connection loss.. could it be that its n undocumented demo 'feature' ?

Is there anyone here that has the full version and with the same problem?

it runs smooth! after a few updates it will be better than all the compatetion!

this probally isnt the right place to ask.. but anybody know how to get xbox live to work on this? i got it up and im sure it works great.. but xbox live is the only use i have for tethering and doing the trick with pdanet is a PAIN. when i got it up it says i need to change DNS settings.. and i have no clue how to do that.

Thanks

can anyone confirm this works on edge?

I can get my laptop to connect to the network but no connection but I only have edge at home so I am wondering if this is my problem
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something. -- Jackie Mason

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i need to verify this... i have unlimited data plan but i did not subscribe to internet tethering. if i pay the one off fee will i be able to use internet for free (remember i don't need to pay internet usage as it's unlimited) and not get charged for any 'official' internet tethering?

Not working for me on iPhone 3G running OS 3.0

I can see and connect to the iPhone, but no internet connection. 3G signal is full bars.

It does work on Edge. Can anyone having disconnect issues please send me a syslog starting before they turn it on and after it's turned off? (Please make sure you have rebooted the phone). If you have installed an "unofficial" version - please don't bother - that's a cause of this issue.
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

Quote Originally Posted by psuskeels View Post
    It does work on Edge. Can anyone having disconnect issues please send me a syslog starting before they turn it on and after it's turned off? (Please make sure you have rebooted the phone). If you have installed an "unofficial" version - please don't bother - that's a cause of this issue.
    by 'unofficial' do you mean trial?

I am confident that this will work with 3G or edge

but can anyone try to see if it works on wifi? meaning: disable your 3G or edge, use iphone to pick up a wifi and see if your laptop can pickup the wifi from iphone?

this may sound stupid but there are specific reasons for it (bypassing www authorizing on some devices, using boingo mobile unlimited on laptop etc...)

You can't use the wifi on the iPhone to connect to your router, as it's being used by your laptop to connect to the iPhone.

Unless you use bluetooth, but i had no joy getting that to connect.

It is working for me now via 3G. Did a soft reboot after install, but icon didn't show. Had to do a hard reset and then it showed. Had problems getting internet connection then, but another restart fixed that problem. Surfing fine now on laptop via 3G. Next to try is my Nintendo DS.

A nice feature to add in a future version would be a counter for the amount of data you have used. Nice app tho'...well done.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gruk View Post
    by 'unofficial' do you mean trial?
    No he means the one where you replace a file of the app so you get unlimited trial.

Btw I didn't use that hack, I'm planning on buying it as soon as the bugs are ironed out or if it at least works

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

I have the full version. The only thing stable working is thru the USB connection make sure ur wifi is turned off.. I think it getss confused with wifi on.
    There is no reason to do something anonymously if it is believed to be legal and it will benefit our rights.

I also plan on purchasing it as soon as the bugs are worked out. Mine keeps shutting off after less than a minute. Running 3.0 purplera1ned 3GS. Thanks psuskeels....

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast