Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi Released! Turn your iPhone into a Wifi hotspot!

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I have now, but didn't want to clutter my iPhone with a needless app if possible. Once Rockyourphone apps have been installed, can you delete the installer?
    I here ya. I think your need Rock on your phone. I would leave it anyways. Thats how you will update your Intelliborn software.

Default Pay for App
    I installed the trial. It works absolutely great! Then went back and purchased the App.

How do I get the App to know it is paid for? It keeps saying Trial and will expire?

OH! After a little while it said "Soft Restart Required for Licensing" After the soft restart the message went away.

I am using the 3gs.

Jim K.
    Last edited by jimcking; 2009-07-08 at 06:14 PM.

This might sound extremely stupid but my phone has many settings of all the security networks I've accessed. Many of which are very troublesome to configure on the PC with WPA2 Enterprise security blah blah certificate and blah blah proxy. So I usually use my phone to access the internet instead of my laptop. Well anyway, my laptop is new and many of the settings aint on it so Im very lazy to configure it everytime I connect to a different wifi spot. Most people use cellular data network and then broadcast it as a wifi signal using this app. Is it possible to use wifi and broadcast it as a wifi signal using this app? :P

i went thru the who process and realized at the end no 3gs support. bummer

Quick question...

Say im at StarBucks and using their free Wifi on my iPhone, could i use this app to tether my laptop and use that Wifi? Or does this app only share the 3G connection?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dbet21 View Post
    i went thru the who process and realized at the end no 3gs support. bummer
    The desktop client doesnt have 3GS support but RockApp in Cydia does. I tested everything on my 3GS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

GellBrake'rrrr (2010-03-19)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this is probably a dumb question but i learned in school years ago that theres no such thing... so does this app give u wifi wherever u go? say for instance when i go to work my phone always go to the edge network and runs pretty slow..Will it now be wifi?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

All this is really useful for is enabling tethering right? What the point of paying 10 bucks when I can do this easily for free on one of the enabling tethering tutorials?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

so can i use it to tether the wifi connection picked up by iphone?

this may sound like a stupid question (is there any wifi that can be picked up by wifi but not your laptop?)

Actually there is, that is the boingo mobile unlimited plan that I am planning to sign up.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RdGzKp View Post
    this is probably a dumb question but i learned in school years ago that theres no such thing... so does this app give u wifi wherever u go? say for instance when i go to work my phone always go to the edge network and runs pretty slow..Will it now be wifi?
    In short, no.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

RdGzKp (2009-07-08)

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome fine, SB! Thanks for bringing this app to our attention!
    I'm downloading the trial now!

Verizon's MyWi card has nothing on this!!

spoke to soon. i didnt realize i needed to download it from cydia(rockapp). i tried it from the actual website. but everything works great,strong signal and pretty good speed. In my opinion its better than pda net. Def worth the price they're asking.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jguest View Post
    Nobody is answering the question about extra charges. This is how it works (on AT&T), it's using your current data plan. You will not receive any extra charges but if you use it a ton, especially if you go over the 3gb cap, AT&T will catch on and you might be in trouble. For light browsing/downloading you'll be fine and not incur any problems/charges.
    did they lower the cap to 3gigs? i thought it was 5

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I thought it was 5 GB also

17. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

GellBrake'rrrr (2010-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    All this is really useful for is enabling tethering right? What the point of paying 10 bucks when I can do this easily for free on one of the enabling tethering tutorials?
    I don't get why people are not understanding this program.

So I have my laptop which does WIFI (no bluetooth, and don't have my USB cable), and I want to get on net with it. I obviously can't use the phones normal tethering option since it ONLY does it by bluetooth or the usb cable...

This app creates a WIFI hotspot using your phones internet connection (wifi tethering).

Now I can search for WIFI spots on my laptop, and connect to it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is rather pointless when you think about it.If your phone is able to pick up a wifi signal then your wifi chip in your laptop will surely be able to.So why have some middle man?

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
    I don't get why people are not understanding this program.
    I don't understand why people don't get either or why they think PDANet is the same thing.

Essentially, it turns your iPhone into a wireless Internet AP.

Although, it doesn't help the app uses the phrase 'Wifi Tethering'.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyScottie View Post
    This is rather pointless when you think about it.If your phone is able to pick up a wifi signal then your wifi chip in your laptop will surely be able to.So why have some middle man?
    one last time....pay attention!!!!

this app is turning your PHONE into a WIFI HOTSPOT, using your PHONE'S net connection. basically its turning your phone into a wireless router you can take with you whereever you go and its always connected as long as your phone is receiving signal. your phone is still using 3g or edge connection, but your laptop is connecting to the net THROUGH the phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyScottie View Post
    for when there is no WIFI signal. obviously.... think about that?...

Has anyone noticed that tethering/data connection gets progressively slower the longer you've had your wifi hotspot broadcasting? If i create a new hotspot with my 3GS, the connection to my computer is blazing fast for a few minutes, then it just gets slower and slower. After about 10-15 minutes, the connection is completely unusable. Anyone else having this problem?

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast