Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi Released! Turn your iPhone into a Wifi hotspot!

^-100 cracked apps, fail.

How did I predict he had less than 10 posts just by reading this one? =]

Where's the "report" button?

First things first, sorry if my previous post offended anyone. I'll delete the cracked app site links once I'm done posting this. I was referencing the post prior to mine when they posted "blackrain jb" and the others that have info about jailbraking in their signatures. Since it's not illegal to jailbreak your iphone and this site likes to promote developers, once you have jailbroken your iPhone search Cydia for PdaNet. A private developer put this great app together and it's free! You can then tether your iPhone to any PC and have Internet access at any location, that has cell coverage.

Hope that clears up any misinformed messages that I posted earlier. Now if I could just find the ****** button I'll respond to NoOneImportant. ; )

Sorry for the typos, it's a pain typing on an iPhone.
    Last edited by darober; 2009-12-09 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darober View Post
    Now if I could just find the douch button I'll respond to NoOneImportant. ; )
    Well this site DOES actually have a Spelling Check button. =]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    How did I predict he had less than 10 posts just by reading this one? =]

Where's the "report" button?

Were you always a tattle tell as a child or did you pick that up just here recently?

Maybe he not being aware that there's at least 6 different ways to tether the iPhone with various apps and hacks but this particular thread is regarding MyWi. Besides, the fully functional PDANet is NOT free. Anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Well this site DOES actually have a Spelling Check button. =]
    Like I said I was on my iPhone. The spell check on this site requires that you have iSpell installed, well I can't install that on my iPhone. Thanks for mentioning that, but I'm sure my point was made none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    Maybe he not being aware that there's at least 6 different ways to tether the iPhone with various apps and hacks but this particular thread is regarding MyWi. Besides, the fully functional PDANet is NOT free. Anyways...
    You are correct about MyWi being the topic, but the topic changed to tethering iPhones to PCs. My bad for pointing out a free alternative. It also seemed some people were having issues with MyWi not working and they spent good money on it. I've used PdaNet for months and if there is a paid version I was unaware, but the free version is more than adequate and it IS fully functional. I'm sure the paid version may have a couple newer features, that would be up to the individual if it's worth paying for. From what I have read here, it's not worth buying MyWi.
    Last edited by darober; 2009-12-09 at 08:09 PM.

I had PDANet, I paid for iPhone Modem (which works similar to PDANet), I used the tethering hack for a while and paid for MyWi. What do I currently use for tethering? MyWi, hands down. If you set it up correctly it works just fine. Plus it is THE ONLY method that broadcasts a wifi access point. So...

Default myfi-rock that phone
    Just downloaded myfi with rock that app, great app!!! Simple to use and very convienent, I paid the 9.99 and it is well worth it. My only concern is with jailbreaking! Hope I am not doing anything wrong .....
    It really works great and is almost too good to be true.

Thanks rock that app!!!!

Jailbreaking is NOT illegal Tiki. And yeah, MyWi rocks, good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by AMaench View Post
    Yeah I understand the bit about that because laptops and other devices pretty much come standard with wifi but can anybody confirm the bit about using the USB cable and having your iphone connected to a wifi hotspot and sharing it with the laptop? Can anybody confirm that his works?I already have tethering but it would be cool to have free wifi at ATT hotspots if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.
    I am afraid the iphone only shares the 3g internet, even when it's apparently sharing a wifi spot. Proof of that is that sharing no longer works if you "disconnect" the phone (leaving wifi enabled). Besides in "usage" the traffic is attributed to the cellular data plan

Quote Originally Posted by coc View Post
    I am afraid the iphone only shares the 3g internet, even when it's apparently sharing a wifi spot. Proof of that is that sharing no longer works if you "disconnect" the phone (leaving wifi enabled). Besides in "usage" the traffic is attributed to the cellular data plan
    No, that's incorrect. MyWi will choose the fastest connection and share that one. It could be 3G or it could be wifi.

So, yes you can share the wifi from your iphone to your computer with mywi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ackms421 View Post
    No, that's incorrect. MyWi will choose the fastest connection and share that one. It could be 3G or it could be wifi.

So, if you disable the phone with wifi enabled (sbs settings lets you do that) you can share the wifi connection? Well I can't...

Quote Originally Posted by Ackms421 View Post

Furthermore, in my experience Mywi will still not choose wifi even with 3g disabled, despite wifi being way faster
    Last edited by coc; 2010-01-01 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

OK, I tried to install MyWi (rock version). It said "Complete" then I hit "Respring." It started in on "Reloading Data" where it has now hung up for over an hour. And I can't turn off. Appear to be completely looked. I did have PDAnet installed, but it said it would auto uninstall that. Anyway out of this mess? Other than to let the battery run down and then hope for the best.
    ** OK, did HOME+SLEEP, This did a reset. Long wait on Apple icon... Then got a "Sad iPhone". Resprung again. yikes.
    ** The saga continues. Went to Cydia and uninstalled MyFi. No problem. Then tried to uninstall RockApp. Back into indefinite spin after respringing.
    ** Reset one more time. Installed MyFi (rock free) and this is working well.
    ** Decided to keep this here in case others have issues.
    Last edited by wgarym; 2010-01-02 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Update on progress.

I'm sure this has been asked in this thread, but I don't want to go through 24 pages looking.

I've got the paid version of MyWi, a 16GB iPhone 3GS, jailbroken with Blackra1n, FW 3.1.2, and I can't get this to work!

When I switch on the USB and Bluetooth tethering, it loads, then says it's ON. When I go to the iPhone Network Settings, however, no Tethering is shown. Sometimes it will appear, and I'll go into the menu, but then it will simply slide me out of the menu and the option will disappear. When I go back into MyWi, the USB and Bluetooth toggle will be back in the OFF position.

I have gotten the WiFi portion to work, but when I go to connect my laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium, iTunes x64 installed) to the network, I don't get any internet access through it.

Can someone please help me? I hope I didn't waste my money here.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default tethering
    since 3.0 Mywi and Pdanet are unnecessary, using the instructions in this link all my friends and I tether our laptops easy and for free. Tutorial: How to Tether on an iPhone 3G or 3GS running OS 3.1.2

http://m.peacefulinsanity.com/Tether.mobileconfig this is the real meat of the deal since Im assuming you are already jailbroken
    Last edited by captainhighjack; 2010-01-11 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by icycool View Post
    I'm sure this has been asked in this thread, but I don't want to go through 24 pages looking.

I've got the paid version of MyWi, a 16GB iPhone 3GS, jailbroken with Blackra1n, FW 3.1.2, and I can't get this to work!

When I switch on the USB and Bluetooth tethering, it loads, then says it's ON. When I go to the iPhone Network Settings, however, no Tethering is shown. Sometimes it will appear, and I'll go into the menu, but then it will simply slide me out of the menu and the option will disappear. When I go back into MyWi, the USB and Bluetooth toggle will be back in the OFF position.

I have gotten the WiFi portion to work, but when I go to connect my laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium, iTunes x64 installed) to the network, I don't get any internet access through it.

Can someone please help me? I hope I didn't waste my money here.
    I only have Windows XP so your results may vary if you are using something different and USB tethering.
    First I connect via USB chord. Then I switch the Tethering USB and Bluetooth button on at the bottom of the MyWi menu. I do not go into any other adjustments to make it work. It just does.

If I want Wifi tethering I switch tethering on before connecting via USB chord.The blue tethering bar should appear at the top of the screen. I do not go into the iPhone's settings to turn anything on. It just works. I have a 16GB iPhone 3gs updated to 3.1.2 with Blackra1n jailbreak.

When I switch off wifi tethering in MyWi menu it does not remain on. Not sure what else I can tell you. You do not need to go into iPhone settings for any reason I know of except to make sure your WiFi setting is on before using MyWi.

EDIT:
    I do remember having to remove a WiFi setting in XP sometimes because once MyWi makes a compatible connection my Macbook Pro (using XP via Bootcamp) will hold that setting and seem to create its own network, which can be held by other laptops. This network must be removed before trying to re-establish MyWi WiFi connection even though it was created by MyWi. I think this happens though because I change the WEP security key. Point you may want to try to make sure other computers are not holding a MyWi network before trying to re-establish a link. Just throwing that out there although it may have nothing to do with your problem.
    Last edited by Urrl; 2010-01-11 at 03:53 PM.

I've purchased mywi and as yet been able to get it to work, not rocket science but though it says broadcasting, nothing is seeing it... where have i gone wrong... legit advice is more than welcome, all others can stand in line btw, I've tried to see it on several devices scanning wifi hotspots to include another iphone, pda phone... comp etc and nothing. I'm trying to get it to connect to my archos 5 internet tablet for on the road usage.

Did you try resetting your network settings? Of course all your wireless connections will be gone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default tethering
    I just don't understand. just enable tethering using the instructions in a tutorial in my earlier post. go to settings and turn on tethering then plug up your laptop. I don't use any software mywi or anything and my laptop is on the internet. now are you trying to allow other people access through your phone to access the internet like a wifi cafe? you have limitations, mine works well for my laptop but I can't see multiple devices accessing the net thru your phone.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast