Page 7 of 106 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: First official photos of a jailbroken 3G[s] released. Tool not too far away!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Of course they're behind. Look at all the work they've been doing for the past 2 weeks with the precious jb's.

Planetbeing himself apparently played a part in geohotZ progress else geo wouldn't of thanked him on his blogg I believe it was. Just as geo handed planetbeing some info.

In a race, teams don't exchange information or colaborate in such manner.

Reason you haven't seen the jb is as stated. Both sides rather wait for the upcoming patch.

Hell, if it's Reilly a race then I'm all food for that as well. We get our jb that much faster. But I sincerely doubt that's the case here.

On another note. It does bother me that geohotz doesn't get credited for anything he does for th devteam. I totally agree sb. Geohotz always credited any help he's gotte with anything where the devteams seems to rather keep the spotlight to themselves.
    Last edited by 305; 2009-06-28 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
    Really? End of the week? When its already done?
    Well its not really done as a GUI program hasn't been produced yet. The jailbreak has just been...uh...accomplished? But if all of the dev teams are working together, I have a feeling we may see it sooner. But thats just a gut feeling.

iPhone? More like MyPhone salayyad's Avatar
    Thanks

yea thats right. hes like the founding father of unlocking the iphone LOL. they do need to work together 2 minds are better than 1. for some reason i always thought he was part of the dev team since he was the first person to unlock it. oh well much props to him seems like he knows his ****.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Real_Iphonecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think the update is relevant. Geohot said better luck Apple on the 4g iPhone not better luck apple on the 3.01 update

He was part of the Dev Team untill he got booted out for allegedly leaking info, but that doesn't mean he hasn't got mates who are still members of the Dev Team
    Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 2009-06-28 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by inzandity View Post
    Yep, traded his unlocked 4GB iPhone for a Nissan 350z and 3 8GB iPhones. Not a bad deal eh? I bet the guy that traded feels like he got a little screwed now though
    LMAO link?

thats funny

Quote Originally Posted by inzandity View Post
    Well its not really done as a GUI program hasn't been produced yet. The jailbreak has just been...uh...accomplished? But if all of the dev teams are working together, I have a feeling we may see it sooner. But thats just a gut feeling.
    They dont have to make a new GUI, it was 10 lines of code. Im just impatient haha.

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    LMAO link?

thats funny
    Geohot Trades Hacked iPhone for Crazy Expensive Sports Car | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

NJ teen trades his unlocked iPhone for three more and a sports car

Theres a couple right there. Funny stuff though...

They dont have to make a new GUI, it was 10 lines of code. Im just impatient haha.
    Thats the advantage of them all working together. Rough history though. If they all worked together, we could be unlocked by this afternoon!
    Last edited by inzandity; 2009-06-28 at 10:33 PM.

Doesn't the name purplera1n sound like its mocking yellowsnow,redsnow,ultrasnow?

Thanks

Purplesn0w wouldn't work, might ruin his image I guess. So yea it's mocking the sn0ws

All this talk of the different teams basically being credit whores is a little disheartening. Weren't we all on the same team here? Those of you bringing up the who has/who hasn't donated issue are missing the basic point of pro-bono work. True non-profit efforts (If their really volunteering) should not be looking to profit monetarily, nor should they be clamoring for engadget stardom.

And on the wait for the firmware issue, no matter how you slice it, it's a "work now, more work later" situation. So why not just release the easy (not diminishing the task, most of the work is done already) fix now, and work on 3.01 when it gets here?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cpkirkley For This Useful Post:

Real_Iphonecrazy (2009-06-28)

Hello guys,

I've been seeing a lot of misinformation floating around, I've been checking in with various people and trying to get the facts straight on what's actually going on with the jailbreak. As far as I've learned here is the state of things thus far..

First of all, the bootrom is exploitable via 24kpwn exploit that was present in the 2g ipod touch. This won't go away, however the 24kpwn exploit is useless without an iboot exploit also being present.

An iboot exploit has been found by not only Geohot, but the dev team. It is thought that these are two SEPARATE/DIFFERENT, exploits.
    Geohot has actually got far enough with it already to jailbreak the device, and presumably unlock it, as ultrasn0w should work fine on the 3gs with present firmware.

Now, here's the problem..

The Iphone 3gs restore process requires the ECID to be inserted and signed. This signature will basically eliminate downgrading the iboot if apple releases an iboot upgrade along with a firmware upgrade.

The exploits in the iboot CAN be patched, resulting in the 24kpwn being useless and resulting in your device being unjailbreakable (unless another exploit is found).

However, by obtaining the signatures now, before upgrading your firmware, using http://purplera1n.com/ whilst you're still on 3.0, should allow you to get around these iboot downgrade restrictions, and continue to downgrade your iboot whilst upgrading your firmware.

Now, on the matter of the delay.

The dev team have decided to delay the release of the jailbreak until 3.01 is released. The reason being that if they release the jailbreak now, they will reveal their iboot exploits to apple, and apple will patch them before the release of 3.01. This is an issue because after the release of 3.01 apple will most likely stop generating 3.0 signatures, and this will not allow us to downgrade to the present iboot. (the one with the exploits)

Lots of people don't have their iphone 3gs yet, so they are waiting and hoping the iboot exploit is still present after 3.01, meaning that the iboot version released with 3.01 will be the version people need to downgrade to to jailbreak, which will accomodate a much larger number of people as there should be a large grace period between 3.01 and 3.02 in which people can purchase phones to unlock.

As for Geohot, I'm told that the dev team are unaware of his intentions, it's possible he may release a jailbreak before 3.01, if he does hopefully this shouldn't cause the dev team problems because their exploit is seperate, and may allow those of us with a 3gs already to enjoy the best of both worlds.

I hope this makes things a little more clear (and that I'm correct :P)
    Last edited by Tiyuri; 2009-06-28 at 11:09 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiyuri For This Useful Post:

mikdiamon (2009-06-28), spongebobiwan (2009-07-03)

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    They don't know yet. Only GeoHot has shown a JB'd device, provided it doesn't get released into the wild Apple won't be able to patch it.

The Dev Team will explain their logic tomorrow. but basically Apple are very unlikely to release a second update so soon after a first.
    OS 2.0 was released on 11/07/08 OS 2.0.1 was released on 4/8/08 but it was a long time before the next update.

Soprry if my posts are getting out of order - people are replying quicker than I can type!
    I understand what your saying now.

sweet i needs my dtunes

What evidence is there that apple is releasing a new firmware soon? Either way, the other guy will release it soon if the dev team doesnt. No sense holding it.

What evidence is there that apple is releasing a new firmware soon?
    A few bugs in the 3.0 firmware, springboard icon corruption amongst others. And to fix the exploits used by ultrasn0w

Well, 2.0 came out in early July with the 2.0.1 firmware to follow only about a month later. So maybe 3.0.1 isn't too too far away.

Thanks

You guys are completely impatient idiots. First off Apple will not hold back on firmware updates as there is also people in this world who choose not to jailbreak. Secondly releasing what we (we being Geo and the Dev Team) know public can help Apple find the exploit. If they find the hole in the bootrom (obviously they do not know it current hence why the jailbreak is possible) it will be patched and then Geo and the Dev Team are back to square one. You will survive a couple days or weeks without this jailbreak. If is better in my eyes to have a jailbreak that will work on every firmware then letting it stop on 3.0. And to Daiskei instead of saying you will be quote anxious and irritable waiting for 3.0.1 be patient and wait these people are doing this for free if they go public to soon it will screw over everyone in the long run so instead of entrusting you with self control the Dev Team and Geo all ready have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiyuri View Post
    Hello guys,

I've been seeing a lot of misinformation floating around, I've been checking in with various people and trying to get the facts straight on what's actually going on with the jailbreak. As far as I've learned here is the state of things thus far..

First of all, the bootrom is exploitable via 24kpwn exploit that was present in the 2g ipod touch. This won't go away, however the 24kpwn exploit is useless without an iboot exploit also being present.

An iboot exploit has been found by not only Geohot, but the dev team. It is thought that these are two SEPARATE/DIFFERENT, exploits.
    Geohot has actually got far enough with it already to jailbreak the device, and presumably unlock it, as ultrasn0w should work fine on the 3gs with present firmware.

Now, here's the problem..

The Iphone 3gs restore process requires the ECID to be inserted and signed. This signature will basically eliminate downgrading the iboot if apple releases an iboot upgrade along with a firmware upgrade.

The exploits in the iboot CAN be patched, resulting in the 24kpwn being useless and resulting in your device being unjailbreakable (unless another exploit is found).

However, by obtaining the signatures now, before upgrading your firmware, using http://purplera1n.com/ whilst you're still on 3.0, should allow you to get around these iboot downgrade restrictions, and continue to downgrade your iboot whilst upgrading your firmware.

Now, on the matter of the delay.

The dev team have decided to delay the release of the jailbreak until 3.01 is released. The reason being that if they release the jailbreak now, they will reveal their iboot exploits to apple, and apple will patch them before the release of 3.01. This is an issue because after the release of 3.01 apple will most likely stop generating 3.0 signatures, and this will not allow us to downgrade to the present iboot. (the one with the exploits)

Lots of people don't have their iphone 3gs yet, so they are waiting and hoping the iboot exploit is still present after 3.01, meaning that the iboot version released with 3.01 will be the version people need to downgrade to to jailbreak, which will accomodate a much larger number of people as there should be a large grace period between 3.01 and 3.02 in which people can purchase phones to unlock.

As for Geohot, I'm told that the dev team are unaware of his intentions, it's possible he may release a jailbreak before 3.01, if he does hopefully this shouldn't cause the dev team problems because their exploit is seperate, and may allow those of us with a 3gs already to enjoy the best of both worlds.

I hope this makes things a little more clear (and that I'm correct :P)
    Great post! I was going to post that it had something to do with the signature file, but I couldn't have explained as completely as you did.

StealthBravo,

Thanks for all the posts and insights! It is much appreciated, and very intriguing to hear the back story of everything.

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Well if the jailbreak can be broken with a software update then why wait for 3.0.1? Apple can issue update 3.0.2 right after the jailbreak for 3.0.1.

Its an endless cat and mouse. I'd rather have the jailbreak for a few weeks until Apple releases 3.0.1 and then have another jailbreak then no jailbreak for a few weeks until 3.0.1, have the jailbreak for a few weeks until Apple releases 3.0.2 and be in the same boat we are in now. Especially when 3.0.1 will be "bug fixes" that I'll bet 90% of the jailbreak community would live without for jailbreak functionality
    Last edited by Bernie-Mac; 2009-06-28 at 11:42 PM.
    iLive an iLife

DING DING DING...

Thats why you release it NOW. Apple could patch it the next day!

Page 7 of 106 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast