Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GPS (ish) Comes to the iPhone!

no go here, Nno towers/nodes in upstate NY

it didn't on my iphone

results: no cell towers/nodes in area

area: Portland, Oregon

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krino1 View Post
    Understood.. BUT.. What's the use of GPS without vocal and enroute directions??? Easier to just use Google Maps/Directions through Safari (And more accurate).
    no b/c it'll locate you where u are at, from there u can find anything around u, for example dining, bars, stores. also gives u a starting point for getting directions. GPS is GPS. i'm sure as we progress the app will more and more refined.

also, i went to downtown chicago and attempted to locate myself on the highway, (after choosing my home location on their site) and it pin pointed my exact location via wifi. only time i've gotten it to work so far

Monterey Park (San Gabriel Valley), CA works with both wifi/edge on tmobile.

Stupid app, crashed my phone.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

It generally crashes the iPhone the first time it runs. I recommend installing it, restarting the phone, THEN running it.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

works for me on wifi in phoenix arizona at the coffee plantation!
    not on the edge though and i have att

Your location could not be iedntified. No known Cells or WiFi nodes in range. (However I am connected to a known good wifi access point)
    Last edited by eraserhead187; 2009-07-24 at 07:03 PM.

Forest Hills, Queens, NY.

Wifi pinpointed my exact location. whereas edge told me im at a nearby park about +/-20 blocks away...

nice apps, would love this to improve

Thanks

Worked great for me, Santa Monica, California. 4 out of 5 areas in a 5 mile area gave me exact intersection results on the google map. one time it couldn't find any known cell towers.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abalfour View Post
    I'll try it from Kearny Mesa (Work) today...maybe the "Hi-Tech" area there will make it work...

Funny thing is, on "FieldTest.app"...even in South County San Diego...I am getting 8-10 repeaters that are relatively close by...but those towers are probably not in the Navizon database yet...

I don't see how they are going to manage ALL of the repeaters that cover the WORLD in their server...but then again, maybe they have all the money in the world to buy 1000000000000000000 terabyte HDDs servers...unlike us poor people that only have 7.33GB in our lemonphones...lol
    Well, it didn't work in Kearny Mesa area of San Diego either...so I guess we will all have to assemble in the Tail-Gaters parking lot at QualComm Stadium to know where we are in San Diego...of course it would be hard not to know where you were at QualComm...since it is one of the largest structures in the County...

Hope better things are to come with this GPS Utility...

Thanks

Mine keeps telling me my password is incorrect, even though it is. Also, there is no way through the iPhone to get back to the website to create a new ID. Anyone know where the prefs are kept so they can be deleted?

I still don't get what the app does, and how it is useful? All it does just displays the Cell towers near you?

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

No. It displays your location on Google Maps. Very useful if you are lost, or looking for something specific...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

I really need this to work and it won't. I live in Atlanta, Ga

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    No know cells or wifi nodes in range

No know cells or wifi nodes in range

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abalfour View Post
    Well, it didn't work in Kearny Mesa area of San Diego either...so I guess we will all have to assemble in the Tail-Gaters parking lot at QualComm Stadium to know where we are in San Diego...of course it would be hard not to know where you were at QualComm...since it is one of the largest structures in the County...

Hope better things are to come with this GPS Utility...
    Ok, I decided to try it while I was stuck in traffic on the way home just now.

At "H" Street on I-805 South in Chula Vista...it worked fine.

I noticed it is a ONE SHOT deal though...it doesn't update like most GPS location devices...you have to go back and press LOCATE again after you move...

Then I got off the "H" Street off-ramp and at the top of the ramp (maybe 100 yards), it couldn't find any cells again.

So, it has a long way to go for perfection.

Definitely not for trips in the jungle or back-country...you would be MORE lost than when you started, trying to locate the cells.

I'm in Chicago, and in my neighborhood on the far northwest side, which is completely residential, it won't connect regardless of my wifi status, connected or not. However, when I go downtown to school, it'll pick up my location pretty accurately. Hopefully these Navizon guys start releasing updates on a regular basis to help us register our wifi spots as triangulation points.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast