Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GPS (ish) Comes to the iPhone!

Thumbs down Gps??
    Why is this being called a GPS system? All it does is get directions from Start > End points. Then 'displays' the directions one by one. A GPS system gets the data and then gives you vocal directions in transit. Easier to just go to Google Maps/Directions on Safari.

J.S.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Actually thats not true at all.

GPS just means it uses satellite signals to track the location or position of vehicles or vessels on earth. This is a quasi-GPS system (Global Positioning System) which uses cell towers an WiFi locations to discern your location. It finds your location, NOT gives directions.

You're talking about the Google Maps application on the phone, which is what gives you directions.

And no, GPS doesn't have to have vocal directional prompts to be GPS. Just a lot of the devices do.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

iPhone? More like MyPhone zoidberg md's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krino1 View Post
    Why is this being called a GPS system? All it does is get directions from Start > End points. Then 'displays' the directions one by one. A GPS system gets the data and then gives you vocal directions in transit. Easier to just go to Google Maps/Directions on Safari.

J.S.
    actually gps gets your location using a group of satelites. Certain equipment converts your latitude and longitude to auditble instructions.

This is not technically gps because it relies on cell towers and wifi.

(edit)Oops you beat me to it pf
    Last edited by zoidberg md; 2007-09-20 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Pf is quicker than me

Default 1.0.3
    iphone 1.0.3 mabe release date september 28 http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...pod/ipod_touchim not sure but might be date look at shipping date

Default it works!
    I tried it on the road twice today; both times around my hood; once in Foster City, CA at a strip mall; the other time at a different strip mall in San Mateo. Both times the pull-up was within a block. The first time was via cell towers, the second with wifi. I haven't been able to get it to find me at home though.

As for the $25 charge, as long as this is a one-time cost, I woulqd be willing to pay for this. It sounds like this is a situation where they use the fee to pay bounties to folks to identify the wifi spots for the basis of its maps. I would actually sign up to do this, but my iphone isn't GPS compatible.

It found me but I think it just scans for the nearest Cell site.
    Cell site was found north of my location about 1/2 a mile.

Wichita, KS
    no towers or wifi nodes

results: no cell towers/nodes in area (using EDGE & WiFi)

area: Colorado Springs, CO

Update!

It found me when I was near a Starbucks
    WiFi on but not connected to any, it seems that it found my position by WiFi even though I am currently on EDGE
    about 100 yards off the mark
    Not bad!

Racine Wisconsin

Default navizon
    after a couple of false starts it works for me fine both over wifi and edge (in New Zealand on Vodafone) - pretty cool

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Khoalty View Post
    Qualcomm stadium area works. It was pretty trippy to see this work.
    I'll try it from Kearny Mesa (Work) today...maybe the "Hi-Tech" area there will make it work...

Funny thing is, on "FieldTest.app"...even in South County San Diego...I am getting 8-10 repeaters that are relatively close by...but those towers are probably not in the Navizon database yet...

I don't see how they are going to manage ALL of the repeaters that cover the WORLD in their server...but then again, maybe they have all the money in the world to buy 1000000000000000000 terabyte HDDs servers...unlike us poor people that only have 7.33GB in our lemonphones...lol

Exclamation Be careful
    I install this pseudoGPS app last night,restarted iphone, start the app. and almost fried my phone. Screen locked up with message that cannot locate due to network problem wi-fi and cell. But more scary part that I couldn't turn off the phone, home button didn't responded ether, and screen constantly on, and iPhone getting hot. At this point I was waited 15 mins and then tried to make a hard reset, but phone all of a sudden returned to home screen and became cold( normal temp). Very scary....

no cells nodes

romeo, michigan (bout 20 miles form D-town)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Area: Gulfport/Biloxi, MS

I'm on T-Mobile and it doesn't seem to know where I am. No error messages, just shows me as being over 30 miles away.

No towers/nodes for me at work at Ft. Belvoir, VA or at home in Fairfax, VA. Oddly enough, one of my coworkers has no problems connecting here at work. Bizarre....

Understood.. BUT.. What's the use of GPS without vocal and enroute directions??? Easier to just use Google Maps/Directions through Safari (And more accurate).

I'm on ATT in Northern CA... hasn't worked for me once. Can't find cell towers/WiFi nodes...

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhone1118's Avatar
    Thanks

no known nodes, using edge

FAU campus, South Florida
    I am the MacBook Pro

Yeah it doesnt work at my office or house for me..

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast