View Poll Results: Which one should win?

Voters
537. You may not vote on this poll
  • Astros

5 0.93%
  • Black Darkness

18 3.35%
  • Blue Triangle

3 0.56%
  • British Theme 1

1 0.19%
  • Chromatic Neon

49 9.12%
  • Classic Techno

2 0.37%
  • Empire Theme

10 1.86%
  • Engraved

10 1.86%
  • Fat Thumbs

4 0.74%
  • GTA

0 0%
  • GTA2

1 0.19%
  • iNav Beta 1.0

213 39.66%
  • iNinja

112 20.86%
  • iPhone Nano

17 3.17%
  • Jarrod's Theme

2 0.37%
  • Landscape Vista

8 1.49%
  • Las Vegas

2 0.37%
  • Mac OSX

11 2.05%
  • MattLeon

5 0.93%
  • Mushroom

17 3.17%
  • Orangewave

4 0.74%
  • Post-it

3 0.56%
  • QOS

1 0.19%
  • Redbull

1 0.19%
  • Resident Evil Maximum

8 1.49%
  • Sunny

6 1.12%
  • WiFi Batman

13 2.42%
  • Wilcox iPhone Theme

11 2.05%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Check out the Themes. Install. Enjoy. Vote. MMi Theming Contest

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by salibamark View Post
    In the instructions for submitting the theme, we were clearly notified to attach some screenshot, so what's the problem with those getting the votes?? there's no problem each one of us met the criteria and some even went above. If someone had forgotten to attach the screenshots he/she would have sent them separately by e-mail until the end of the submitting, i don;t think that MMi administrators would have refused them as i know people who have sent their theme's files in two e-mails.
    IF everyone met the criteria then the themes should be displayed equally and fairly.

There's 67 pics in that slideshow, and 5 of them are for the first theme. There's 27 themes, so not everyone has the same opportunity for votes
    To live, you have to lie

It was everyones responsibility to submit screenshots.... voting seems to be stuck..
    Last edited by salibamark; 2009-03-21 at 01:05 PM.

Ininja theme is not working. I ssh'ed the neon one and it worked fine. Is anyone else having this problem with ininja? Any ideas to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    i think its cuz we submitted like 21 of them. hahaha but only like 11 or so got published. its already been stated that the theme creators are in charge of providing the screen shots.
    Actually you have 24/67 screen shots. All I am saying is that each theme should have been displayed with the same number of screen shots. I just hope next time there is a contest then the rules state you must provide X number of screen shots.

I did not create any themes for the contest, but in my opinion there is only one innovative theme here and the rest are icons with backgrounds...yes its a lot of work, I have created several themes in the past and that crap is tedious as hell.

Good Luck to whoever wins and since I have been pm'd a few times asking what I use.

iNav with MythemeSmashUp and my own style.

I think it's a little unfair to say all the rest of these are just backgrounds with icons. The Resident Evil Theme (which I voted for) has sounds, ringtones, keyboard, sms, phone and UI transformations. It's a very big package and it looks really cool. Are there screen shots? Yes, but they're almost at the very end of that stupid slideshow, so I doubt anyone has taken a serious look at it. I think it's a shame that some people put a lot of work into the theme they made and it's just getting ignored because "the rest are icons with backgrounds".

Well the thing is,INAV ROCKS :P,for most people mostly ,because it is really different then the "normal" theme.So obviously people want to see something different and cool.The Other theme i think should be worth trying is the one with side view .seems cool.BUT yeah i think if little more imagination people should be MORE creative,because they seem to be working on the color and design rather then the concept,unlike INave.

Do iNav and iNinja still qualify even though the rules state that the themes entered cannot be previously released? They were posted in the theme thread a while before the contest started. Or is it that they cannot just have been posted on Cydia?

Honesly everyone complaining about screen shots, its the fault of the theme creator.. This is a contest, so if one decided to not put screen shots. or enough screen shots that is there own fault.. On iNinja EVERYTHING was themed and more so the only way to properly represent the theme wsa to include as many screen shots as i could, to show how much was actually themed. All i did wsa give a link to a photoshop album with all my screen shots in there and left it up to the admin to figure out wich ones to use.

"but in my opinion there is only one innovative theme here and the rest are icons with backgrounds"

I could guess what theme your talking about because of the theme your running, but this statement is just ignorance. iNav, is a great theme, clean innovative and very stylish.. I would have installed it myself if it wasnt for the difficulty rating. And for you to say all the rst of the themes are just some icons and nothing else.. just take a loook at this theme. it has springboard, ipod, telephonyui, and mobilephone skinned. I wont even mention calculator because that is not his work, it was released in windows per7ection by ebl. So that in its self is a contest rule breaker.

So its just really unfortunate that iNav is actually at the top just because of a themed springboard when you have some good quality themes that went above and beyond with original work. im mean for goodness sake he didnt even theme uiimages, and that is pretty much standard on everyone theme

But then again the top three public votes will be voted on by a panel of judges and will then be decided who the winner is.

I do agree the contest could have been thrown together better, but at the same time theme creators could have taken a little extra time to include screen shots they wanted to submit. I mean no one is going to install every theme and then decide that would be insane. It will all be looked at by screen shots.

Quote Originally Posted by deadtom View Post
    Do iNav and iNinja still qualify even though the rules state that the themes entered cannot be previously released? They were posted in the theme thread a while before the contest started. Or is it that they cannot just have been posted on Cydia?
    that rule was clerified in the original contest thread and yes a theme that had been "recently" displayed on modmyi but not been submitted to cydia would qualify for the contest. We made sure of this before submitting, or i would have came up with a new theme with the quickness
    Last edited by subywrex; 2009-03-21 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Think the winners have been decided from the start. It's a bit of a joke. Obviously the people running this gave up 3/4 of the way through and stuck up some crappy flash slideshow with random images instead of displaying the themes properly

How could they even think some slideshow was a good idea?

But. Obviously it gets them more hits on Cydia and displays of their intrusive ads, and that's probably the point of this whole thing
    We didn't decide any winner yet. Winners are decided by you guys.

If you think the point of all this was just to show some ads - you're a fool. There was a HUGE amount of time put into gathering all these app codes, and we're spending money out of pocket to give away gift cards as well. None of that is proportionate to the amount of traffic a contest would bring in - its cause we enjoy giving stuff away and seeing what people make.

You don't want ads? Then send me every penny you make, every month, so we can keep the lights on around here. MMi takes thousands of dollars a month to run, and we never charge a dime for any info on the site, and never well. We don't have "special members" who "subscribe" to the site. We don't have a "donate to keep MMi up and running" box. Everything is free, and Cody and I work 40-60 hrs/week each on the site - in fact its my full time job.

So a few ads (industry standard, why don't you take a look around the web) you can deal with.

People are so disrespectful.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

hey poetic_folly, can you update the slideshow with theme pictures posted in the thread, so that everybody can just go through the slide show and see more themes
    -----------------------------------------
    GatewayFX Desktop:
    Intel Core2 Quad 9300 @ 2.5 Ghz
    Nvidia 9800 GT Factory Overclocked
    Windows XP,Windows 7 RTM, Ubuntu 9.04, Bactrack 4 Pre-Final USB

So I know nobody wants to hear this and will probably think I'm an idiot or whatever, But I think iNav Beta actually violates the first rule listed in this contest and that was to have a properly formatted Winterbaord theme.

Quote:

"Themes should be in proper WinterBoard format. If you dont know how to do that, check our WinterBoard forum for help or Saurik's Winterboard page."

I realize that TECHNICALLY the theme is in Winterboard format, but this theme cannot just be SSH'd over and used in Winterboard, hence making it not in PROPER winterboard format. I may be wrong, but I think the rule was intended to make sure these themes could all be posted to Cydia for judging and this theme can't. It is again TECHNICALLY possible to put it on Cydia, but with a description that will say "read the 'readme' so that this actually works for your phone", which won't work for MOST people, they aren't going to go to that effort.

And yet most people are voting for the theme and many have installed it. So it stands to reason that this contest is actually giving an unfair advantage to iNav Beta as well as promoting a theme that doesn't meet the first rule. I say unfair advantage as well as promoting because had all these themes been posted on Cydia first and not available for download here on the web requiring people SSH over to their phone anyway, this theme would be very clunky on Cydia and not even functional for people until they install other programs (Categories) (Which also violates another rule that was to be 100% original work and we know the author(s) didn't make categories) most likely giving them a lot less votes. Maybe they would still win first place in the voting I don't know, but I do know then that we wouldn't be attempting to promote a theme that doesn't meet the requirements.

If you want to disagree with me fine, but at least post reasons why this theme DOES meet the requirements and not just junk like "CAUSE it's freaking awesome or, this is the only theme I installed and it's so cool!" You're just being a moron for not even trying everything out there before you vote. It would be like judges at a wine tasting competition only trying the biggest bottle of wine in the competition (ie most screenshots) and then saying, "Ah, well I'm full that one was a hard one to drink (ie install) but man was it good! I'm going to have to say, that wine is the best one in the competition!!" That judge would be disqualified and so should you.

I agree with you bobkooney..

I agree with you bobkooney..
    that is true, but its up to the final judges to check the technicality of the themes with accordance to the rules. Now as for the original work, if proper permission was acquired in order to allow the use of other peoples creations, then it is justifiable.
    GatewayFX Desktop:

i see where you are going with this.. but like iNinja, it requres a 5 icon dock to be installed for for the theme to work properly as well as having some blank icons. So i see where you are going with it. My real complaint with iNav is, that for one. its pretty much only a springboard theme. Yes its inovativ and very visually pleasing. And agian i do like it. The one thing that bothers me, is that i put a crazy amount of time into making everyhing from scratch in photoshop, keyboard, calculator, all apps, and yes even stocks is themed. and then you have a theme in the lead that one themed 1/8 th the amount that iNinja offers, but that also has someone elses work in it (calculator is from windows per7ection)

Again im not hating on the theme. i think its a great theme. but when you have put put 8 blanks times 9 pages that is a little excesive work to be a valid cydia theme

Ok thanks Subywrex for the clarification. That's what I was wondering. On another note, I think it's interesting that the top 2 themes so far don't resemble the iPhone much. In my thinking a good theme would be recognized as an iPhone theme and not something that could be mistaken for a Windows Mobile ui.

Any Admin or Mod, will you be able to add more pictures to the slide show or not? I have links Or could just send over the raw pictures and be uploaded to zumodrive (i thinks that it)

GatewayFX Desktop:

Ok thanks Subywrex for the clarification. That's what I was wondering. On another note, I think it's interesting that the top 2 themes so far don't resemble the iPhone much. In my thinking a good theme would be recognized as an iPhone theme and not something that could be mistaken for a Windows Mobile ui.
    Which means that you can use Chromatic Neon. I left everything the same in this theme changing the basics obviously but still leaving the iPhone user interface. I took care not to hassle the user that much so when on cydia just push install and then confirm and there it is. No other thing to install to support my theme. It's up to you now voters.

Which means that you can use Chromatic Neon. I left everything the same in this theme changing the basics obviously but still leaving the iPhone user interface. I took care not to hassle the user that much so when on cydia just push install and then confirm and there it is. No other thing to install to support my theme. It's up to you now voters.
    i see how you are trying to promote your theme you created (as we all want to do), but if that happens, then this thread will just become a promotion fest, and not an opinion based thread.

Just letting you know...
    GatewayFX Desktop:

that's what everyone has been doing now and then. Even you, when posting your screenshots. So don't blame anyone else. And if so, just stop degrading iNav cause you're taking his votes. !! =/

I think it's interesting that the top 2 themes so far don't resemble the iPhone much. In my thinking a good theme would be recognized as an iPhone theme and not something that could be mistaken for a Windows Mobile ui.

I was thinking the same thing. If all these people really want a windows mobile phone (which is kind of what it seems like) go buy one of the HTC Touch phones.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast