Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SDK Launch Event - Quasi Liveblogging

I imagine there will be interim updates. There are still 3 months until June. Besides they are only on 1.1.4 now, I think we'll see a couple before long.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So far so good with the SDK, lots of changes I saw coming. Currently porting iBlackjack to the SDK system.
    Patrick McCarron
    iPhone Software Engineer @ Mobileage, Inc

It's hard to get excited about this until the ads start running, which should be in about 1-2 months. The upside I would imagine is that apple will very closely monitor each app it releases to that app store or whatever you call it. So when even though your paying for certain apps most of the bugs should be fixed. I still think installer.app will be superior, because I can bet people that actually pay for certain apps will hack them and put them on installer for all to have. SDK will be good for all the casual users who don't realize either how to jailbreak or fear voiding their warranty. Aside from that I will continue to jailbreak, which as we know is becoming easier and easier. Unless 2.0 is radically different I don't see the degree of difficulty increasing too much for those brilliant programmers who continue to crack the phone.

there server is getting slamed lol i cant even get to the login page even though im registered

impresive, the wait will kill many
    sad that they said nothing about true Bluetooth tho

iPhone? More like MyPhone screamo's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm kinda disappointed with this SDK. What apps are released along with it? What's the point of using this SDK over jailbreak?

Default Clarification
    Clarification with the iPhone SDK

A lot of people are confused about the new developments, so I'll break it down for all of you.

SDK Availability and Price
    The iPhone SDK is available now for free. You have to sign up for Apple Developer Connection (ADC), which is free. If you want to sell applications on the iTunes store, you must join the iPhone Developer Program (IDP). If you want to distribute them for free, you do not have to pay.

SDK Usage
    The SDK can only be used on an Intel Mac running Leopard (OS X 10.5).

3rd Party Application Ability For iPhone Availability
    3rd party applications will be available to run on the iPhone in June. You can still download and create applications using the SDK.

iPhone Enterprise Usage
    Enterprise features for the iPhone will also be available in the iPhone 2.0 software update, which is available in June.

iPhone 2.0 Software Update
    This will come out in June. It will likely be the most secure iPhone firmware yet. It's unknown whether ZiPhone or other jailbreak methods will work with this software version.

What To Do Until Then
    The only thing we can do is wait. Keep using Installer to download applications.

Special Edition: Will We Be Able To Use SDK Applications in Installer/on Jailbroken iPhones?
    We're not sure. I'm downloading the SDK as we speak, and I'll report back as soon as I find out.

If this helped you, please click the Thanks button. Thank you.

8. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to gfabry For This Useful Post:

ab03 (2008-03-07), acer1981 (2008-03-07), agentfubu (2008-03-07), Angry78 (2008-03-07), Argo_Rei (2008-03-07), b3nny (2008-03-07), bbplayer5 (2008-03-07), carolinamic (2008-03-07), charlyc (2008-03-08), google911mysteries (2008-03-07), grilo_bruno (2008-03-07), hozay09 (2008-03-07), icepick4u (2008-03-07), Josheesh (2008-03-07), maz (2008-03-07), method77 (2008-03-07), MGD (2008-03-07), munnyshot (2008-03-07), raisinkain (2008-03-08), reppin4you (2008-03-07), shenese (2008-03-07), taylcoinc (2008-03-07), zajaco0 (2008-03-07)

Quote Originally Posted by screamo View Post
    I'm kinda disappointed with this SDK. What apps are released along with it? What's the point of using this SDK over jailbreak?
    the software development kit is for people to create apps for the iphone

nothing is released with it, in the future there will be official downloads of apps that people made using the sdk.

in the future, since there is no charge to the developer for free apps, AppStore will probably take over "installer"

Please excuse me.

1) By the way, this is NOT illegal, as the SDK is a publicly re-distributable (but not for resale) software package.

2) In addition, TPB may contain many illegal links, which I would strongly advise against using, yet, the torrents listed are only those being tracked by TPB. Other sites, such as Mininova or IsoHunt would have the exact same torrent. For instance, if you search for an Ubuntu iso, you would find quiate a few, most liekly with some unrelated torrents tagged with "ubuntu". Downloading those would be ilegal, but downloading Ubuntu would not be.

3) Bittorrent is another file transfer client, just like FTP, SFTP, SSH, and good old HTTP. If you're saying that they're all illegal, than downloading it from apple is illegal, and so is viewing their site, as it uses HTTP to send the images to your computer.

I believe I have made my point.
    Last edited by omniking3; 2008-03-07 at 12:38 AM.

the statement that "all 18 levels" of spore will be available seems to me to be slightly misleading. I think spore, i think creating a creature, having it walk on land, conquering other creatures etc, creating a society, eventually flying into space.

watching the apple video, although admittedly it didnt show a lot, it did show up to stage 15-ish...stage 15 of an 18 stage game and still in the cellular phase? to me that isnt spore, thats a game where you tilt your phone slightly and move your little blob around the screen

now im not saying the game doesnt look any good, im just saying that what (to me) looks to be heading to the iPhone is the smallest part of the Spore game...

To those who saw "spore for iphone!!" and expected to be creating 3d creatures, be warned...i imagine its more a case of creating 2D blobs up to the point where you're ready to evolve further...then game ends!

edit: to above poster...yeh we got it torrent = good/naughty torrent users = bad
    Last edited by Argo_Rei; 2008-03-07 at 12:39 AM. Reason: read above post...lol'd

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Cant wait till june

So can this SDK make apps for our current firmware?

so does sdk only work with mac????

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Cut/Copy/Paste!!!!
    Why has no one said anything about implementing cut/copy/paste???

I could care less about more games, chat utilities, and ways to view and download YouTube videos. How about a little basic editing capability???

Cut! Copy! Paste! Too bad it doesn't make a good chant....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Earendil For This Useful Post:

method77 (2008-03-07)

My iPhone is a Part of Me zsuns's Avatar
    Thanks

im sooooooo mad there isnt a way to have the SDK for windows...

ive been waiting for this sooo long because i though it was going to be multi-platform.

but i was wrong.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boby17 View Post
    so does sdk only work with mac????
    Of course only mac. Maybe someday windows but since Apple hasn't ported XCode to Windows in 10 years I doubt it'll ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ninthchamber99 View Post
    Thanks Spongebobiwan!! I was wondering the answer for some time now. One more question, My iphone is jailbroken with 1.1.2, I don't really need the google gps thing that came with 1.1.3. So do you think I should wait til the SDK is released in June or should I stay current with all the firmware updates? I love my 1.1.2 jailbroken phone. I am already an ATT customer so it is perfect for me.

Thanks
    You are confusing the SDK with the 2.0 firmware release. The SDK is for developers to write applications targeted to the iPhone. My guess is that 2.0 will take a while to unlock so upgrade to 1.1.4 now and stick with it for the time being.
    Last edited by imode; 2008-03-07 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me zsuns's Avatar
    Thanks

so can we get the apps created with the SDK onto installer for everyone to use ?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zsuns View Post
    im sooooooo mad there isnt a way to have the SDK for windows...

ive been waiting for this sooo long because i though it was going to be multi-platform.

but i was wrong.
    What made you think this was going to be multi-platform? If you want to develop apps on windows then you can still use the 0.4.1 toolchain compiled under cygwin. If you want to develop apps that badly then buy a second hand mac mini for $400-500 or run a hackintosh in vmware...

Quote Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
    So can this SDK make apps for our current firmware?
    most definitely. Apple would never be in a position to force 'legitimate' iPhone owners to upgrade their firmware simply to run an application. Even though I have not seen the SDK yet (downloading it as I am writing this) I would be shocked if there wasn't a way to target a specific firmware version.

Quote Originally Posted by ian_frs View Post
    Cocoa I believe.
    The language itself is usually Objective-C but C++, Python, Ruby and Java (prob not on the iPhone) can be used. Cocoa is just a framework. Probably 90% of the app coding is done in Objective-C.
    Last edited by imode; 2008-03-07 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

21. The Following User Says Thank You to imode For This Useful Post:

zsuns (2008-03-07)

is for sure , zibri try to jailbreake unlock and activate the iphone simulator for us - LOL

Was anyone else dissapointed by the games announcements? As much fun as a game about a Monkey is, they didn't sign with ID Mobile after John Carmack went on and on about programming for the iphone? Guess this means no DOOM, Quake, Wolfenstein ect.. Is it just me or does anyone still think the greatest games will be the huge library of emulators on the jailbroken phones?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast