Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just a few thoughts here...

Default Just a few thoughts here...
    While I find it great that the JailBroken iPhone development community has grown as it has in the last few years I am a bit surprised to see that some sort of centralized developer community hasn't really emerged yet - (I may be wrong on this point, I haven't looked TOO hard but it seems that in this regard there has been a faster rate of growth amongst the android and WebOS communities in regards to centralization and things like kernel development, etc)

While I love all of the wonderful hacks, tweaks and goodies in cydia and would not really want to use my iPhone without a number of them heres a few things I would love to see pop up:

A REAL "dashboard" that could be implemented via mobile substrate in the spring board so one or more pages could be assigned as "widgetboards"

A working or viable alternative to SBRotator

The ability to assign toggles either to the SB or SBSettings

Maybe a nice little icon that one could put in the dock that when clicked would display a list of all installed apps

Some kernel tweaking that could allow for variable overclocking, power management, etc...

Its probably obvious that some of the above ideas are android inspired and while some Apple purists may not like them for that simple fact I think they would make a great addition to iOS and some of the great stuff that I use on a daily basis like infiniboard, infinifolders, recents closer, proswitcher and many many more.

I do have some experience with cocoa, ANSI C, java, RealBASIC, etc, however I do not have much(really any) with cocoa touch. That being said I would love to work on some of this stuff but my knowledge being limited and there always being faster progress in numbers I think it would be great if a "Spring Board Development Team" could be put together to implement alot of existing tweaks as well as new ones and could serve as an extensible development framework in the future for implement new features in Spring Board all in a centralized place.

Just a few hopeful thoughts....

Hmm, I agree! The last one would be awesome, like vista laptop's power saver/high performance choices(:

That is a good list. I would have to add a few things though.

- Merging of functioning and stable MobileSubstrate apps/tweaks to utilize less memory.
    - An app store tweak that would allow queuing of downloads or simultaneous downloads without returning to the springboard.
    - The return of Supreme/Xtreme Preferences for the iPhone 4/iOS4.

Sumpreme preferences already works on ios4, I'm using it on my iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Correction, it works very poorly. As a matter of fact, it is just as buggy as it was on 3.1.3.

I had several issues including moving icons, paging, settings.app failing to open, conflicting settings with other apps, and one major issue that prevented my lockscreen from turning off after receiving a text or notification. That killed my battery very quick.

Now I'm not saying it doesn't work at all. But it is meant for OS 3.x; I would just like an iOS 4 specific version with bug fixes related to the new firmware arrangement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Supreme preferences and others are horrible. The reason the settings are hidden is because they aren't meant to be used. If you change a setting and remove Supreme you can get alot of weird problems.

Quote Originally Posted by SnR View Post
    Supreme preferences and others are horrible. The reason the settings are hidden is because they aren't meant to be used. If you change a setting and remove Supreme you can get alot of weird problems.
    Actually, once the app was installed the settings app itself didn't open. It took a few tweaks to get it to actually open, and THEN they didn't work.

And yes, after removing... Problems.