Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Idea: iCon - icons with ease!

Default Idea: iCon - icons with ease!
    Hry guys,

I have an idea / a request for an iPhone App. It requires jailbreak. Wouldn't it be great if we could change our icons withou Winterboard / ram loss / speed loss? On 2nd gen devices this would be awesome, on 3rd gen devices this would still help people - maybe on iOS 4 because there Winterboard kinda sucks (grey text, no more refections, ...)?

So here is the idea and my concept: iCon! (name can be changed :P)

It creates a folder in /private/var/Documents, called "icon packs". There you can pack you icons. You have to name them correctly, maybe by bundle identifier. When you launch iCon (it's an App, no daemon, no mobilesubstrate), it looks into that folder /private/var/Documents/icon packs/) and you can see all you folders, maybe we could implement a function to import the icons from Winterboard themes (/Library/themes/*.theme/icons/). You can select a pack, and iCon automatically backs up your old iCons into a folder called "original icon pack" and REPLACES all the icons with those of you icon pack. Then it resprings your device. Done! You have now different icons but no mobile substrate, no daemon! Just replaced icons. And if you want your old icons back, iCon can apply you "backup icon pack" with all the backupped icons!

iCon should work with System and App Store apps.

It should have the look of the old Winterboard, just a list of icon packs available.

Could someone program this as i dont can? Would be great!

thx!

Sorry for my bad English

Would be possible but hard (though not as hard as making real winterboard).

iconharvest in cydia.
    I paid for it 4.99, many icons and themes, none of which I was very fond of.
    this may help you here.
    Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter

Does Iconharvester do the job without Winterboard / MobileSubstrate?

Quote Originally Posted by Freerunnering View Post
    No
    That's why I don't use it. iCon would do it without Mobile Substrate.

This seems kind of like a step back from Winterboard, though. Winterboard can control so much more than icons. For that kind of flexibility, wouldn't it be worth it in exchange for a little battery life?

And once you pair Winterboard with iFile you can cut/ paste whatever icons you want into whatever theme you want, among any other modifications you wish to your themes, which is a powerful combination.

My point is, why change just* the icons when you can do so much more?

Because especially on iOS4 the last gen devices (not the 3gs in other words) can't handle big ram consuming wb themes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    This seems kind of like a step back from Winterboard, though. Winterboard can control so much more than icons. For that kind of flexibility, wouldn't it be worth it in exchange for a little battery life?

And once you pair Winterboard with iFile you can cut/ paste whatever icons you want into whatever theme you want, among any other modifications you wish to your themes, which is a powerful combination.

My point is, why change just* the icons when you can do so much more?
    Because Winterboard + iOS 4 + 2nd gen hardware = Sloooooooooow...

My idea is to create a program that would easily put 100 files into 100 different directories, those musn't be only icons, but for icons i think its easy, because icons are easy to find and easy to replace.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

this is an awesoome idea, it spretty much what i do atm but i have to do it manually, i cant help you code though as i dont have a Mac or DragonFire SDK sorri!

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!