Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Detect nearby WiFi networks

Default Detect nearby WiFi networks
    I want to make an app that has the ability to scan for nearby WiFi hotspots. I don't need to do anything with the information other than get their SSID. I know it's possible with a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch (in my case, iPod Touch), but how exactly would I do this? I don't think the information to perform such a scan would be in the iPhone SDK docs. Could anyone give me some pointers?

Also, I don't know if the answer to my first question would answer this one too, but could anyone tell me how to put a "jailbroken" app onto my iPod? The only experience I have with iPhone development was a game I made with a few friends last year, but our iPods weren't jailbroken, so we had to deal with XCode and developers licenses and all that jazz. I'm guessing (and hoping) that this time I don't need to deal with all that?

Green Apple
    Thanks

As with the iPhone wifi thing, there's already an app out there*for that called eWifi on cydia or Rock.

To install jailbroken apps, install OpenSSH from cydia/rock. Your root password default is alpine, unless you changed it. If it is still alpine, you should change it because otherwise someone on your local network with your IP could hack your and do bad stuff.
    To change it type in
    su root
    in mobile terminal, then enter alpine. If you don't have mobile terminal install it. Then enter
    passwd
    and enter your new root password.

Now, on your desktop, you should have a .ipa file. Change the extension to .zip, then extract it. Look inside the payload folder. You should have a folder called myapp.app, except myapp is your app name. I will refer to this as myapp.app, even if it is some other .app folder name.

Once you have OpenSSH installed and changed your root password, do this depending on your Desktop OS.

If you are on a Windows, download and install WinSCP. (just google it)
    If you are on a Mac, download and run Filezilla. (just google it)

On your iPhone, go to settings, and look up your IP address.

Then if you are in WinSCP:
    Under host, type in your IP address. The port should be set to 22 if it isn't already. Then set root as the username and your root password as the password, and if you didn't change it it's alpine. Set the protocol to SFTP (allow SCP fallback). Then login. You need to be on the same local network as your device, so 3G coverage will NOT work. Then navigate to the folder /Applications/. Remember myapp.app? Well in WinSCP navigate to the myapp.app folder on your local machine. Copy the folder to /Applications/, so you should have a folder called /Applications/myapp.app.

Then if you are using Filezilla,
    Under host, type in sftp://ip.adress.here, for example, sftp://192.168.1.51, except enter your real ip address.
    Under username, enter root, and under password, enter your root password, and it's alpine if you didn't change it. Set the port to 22. You must be on the same local network as your device, so 3G coverage will NOT work. Then press Quickconnect. On your device, navigate to the /Applications/ folder. Make sure it is on your device, which is the right hand column. Remember myapp.app? Well copy the entire folder to /Applications/, so you should have a folder /Applications/myapp.app/ on your device.

For both Mac and Windows:
    Now open Mobile Terminal. Type in
    su root
    cd /Applications/myapp.app
    chown -R mobile *
    chmod -R 755 *
    killall SpringBoard

You will need to have the package shell-cmds installed to type in killall SpringBoard. You can also use the respring feature from SBSettings. Actually, you can respring your device in any way you can think of, including doing a reboot, but that is not recommended.

Now, on your springboard, Navigate to your app, and Enjoy!