Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Learning to Develop iPhone Applications

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Learning to Develop iPhone Applications
    Hey guys, I'm interested in developing iPhone applications because I have alot of great ideas, but the problem is I know nothing about Objective C or any kind of programming in that matter. I know very little basics about HTML but that's about it. I was wondering if someone can tell me what laungages should I be studying before I head on to Objective C. Also, where I can find to learn these laungages.

Thanks in advance
    Check out all my iPhone/iPod tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/applegismo

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you don't know anything about programming at all, start with BASIC (Beginner All purpose Standard Instruction Code). If you are beyond that, learn C. Objective-C was derived from C. Don't go ahead and learn c++ right there, because c++ and Objective-C are different, and you will have to "Unlearn what you have learned" (according to Yoda). However, Objective-C and C are ok to learn together. However, you can use C++ to develop for the iPhone. It isn't normally used, but is supported by the apple SDK, so you might want to go ahead and learn c++ instead of Obj-C, because that is used everywhere. It is your choice, but I'd recommend learning is c++ and not objc.

Objective-C is not a bad beginner's language. Learning to read code written in it can be comolicated as it is basically the C language with an object-oriented extension syntactically based on Smalltalk, so programs can seem somewhat schizophrenic, but I don't think it is hard to learn to write ini it.

The main part of writing an iOS app is the Cocoa based libraries, which are implemented in Objective-C and are used door OS X as well. So attempting to write C or C++ programs isn't very productive, and learning non Apple languages won't teach you the APIs/libraries anyway.

But if you must, you can start with Smallbasic or C# Express as beginner's programming tools on Windows. Or if your really, really brave, Squeak
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK so basically i will go in this order; Correct me if I'm wrong.

I will learn BASIC, then C, and then finally Objective C

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

google it

find someone who has experience to code it for you, way more efficient

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Effiecient, but a lot more pricey. Plus I don't have the flexibilty I would have developing my own...

I would recommend taking a course on C programming to get started. Once you get going, the only way to get proficient is to keep at it. When you get comfortable with C, Objective C isn't too tough to pick up. Good luck!

I would also say to forget about Windows programming if you want to learn to develop for the iPhone. Linux is a programmer's OS, so I would recommend setting up a Linux box and focus on console apps to start. It's a great way to learn the language without all the Windows API complexities.
    Last edited by Brian Cross; 2010-07-12 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^^^ I totally agree.

Learning to program is a major task in itself. Adding any type of MS Windows interface on top of that is way tooo much with little (if any) return. Go with any flavor of Unix

Plus the iPhone OS is UNIX-like so you'd be starting in a similar environment.

Jump right in and learn objective c all the languages share the same principles. Don't waste your time learning a language your not really interested in, invest it in the language you want to learn. iTunes u has a great video series for iphone dev from Stanford university. Good luck!!

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Basic is good to start with, to give you an idea of how coding works, but i wouldnt say learn it, just have a look and get your head around if, else, else if statements etc. once youve done that you should be able to start on obk c/ C++ a good book is Ivor Horton's a beginners guide to C++. he also does books for obj C and programming for iphone theyre good to start with because he doesnt assume you know anything ..
    theyre about Ģ40 each but i would say they are worth it!!!

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

i donīt know if is this place that i have to write in, but how do i aplly a downloaded theme (from this site- the hellsing theme)on my iphone 3gs??? please even if this isnīt the place just put the site where it awnsers it or pretty please just tell my how in this one
    bye
    Akado
    Last edited by Akado; 2010-07-31 at 12:17 PM.