Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Beginner Windows Iphone Developer?

Question Beginner Windows Iphone Developer?
    I am interested in learning about Iphone development, but I have no knowledge nor experience in programming at all.

I am a quick learner if someone could point me in the right direction of an online tutorial or a good book to start?

I know Stanford has free tutorials I can download from Itunes, but I do not have a Mac and was wondering what I would need to learn to use Windows instead? Would I be able to download and use those tutorials for Windows?

I know a Mac is the best for development, but if it's possible to learn and use Windows instead I would prefer that for the time being as we just bought a new laptop and wouldn't be able to upgrade to a Mac anytime soon...

Roscoe my beautiful blue pittie puppy

I want to know the exact same thing. Please help us out?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The tools that you are going to use are all native to the Mac OS X environment. The SDK is downloaded from the dev site with xCode, the apple developmental program, and all of the APIs that come with it, as well as all of the programs for simulation and debugging and the ladder are all mac based. I think while it's incredible that someone with no knowledge wants to learn to program for the iPhone. I think it's incredibly unwise to venture into territory without the proper tools. No reason to try and become a car repair man if you only have the tools to work on home repairs. I don't mean to be so down, just saying if you wanna start out, you may consider getting a mac to use. Some find the $999 macbook is quite nice while others find the mac mini to be very capable. I hope all works out for you, whatever you may decide. Feel free to post more questions, or PM me directly if you have any questions for me

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

As yet, Apple have not yet released a cross platform itunes for developers for OS 4.0 Beta. I am a developer for iphone and the forums are full of people asking to use the new SDK on windows machines

I was afraid of that...

Looks like I'll be learning on a Mac...my friend has one I could test on

I know it's a venture, but why not?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Always great to see someone willing to learn I hope you find great success in whatever you develop best of luck!!

Thanks

ooooooorrrrrrrrr, what u can do is first b4 you jump deep into something you might not be wanting to do later on , feel it out first..here are some options:

1: turn a spare computer to a hackintosh (just google osx86) and u have a mac to run xcode
    2: learn c++ and get into dragon sdk (lets u make iphone games on windows)
    3: buy a mac...

now as far as reading, their are tons of books like :

objective-c for dummies
    sams teach yourself iphone development in 24 hours(real good)
    objective-c visual quickstart guide (also very good)
    learn cocoa touch using objective-C (waiting for this book to arrive)

but yea, its been and still is a fun and great journey for me in iPhone development , i hope u get the same experience

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, was gonna say that you could turn your new laptop into a dual booted hackintosh, butttttt.. That's always pretty iffy, and you may decide you don't want it later on. I agree with zero on all of the book recommendations though!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strivelli View Post
    Yeah, was gonna say that you could turn your new laptop into a dual booted hackintosh, butttttt.. That's always pretty iffy, and you may decide you don't want it later on. I agree with zero on all of the book recommendations though!
    she can always dual boot and if she doesnt like it she can delete that partition. yea i have tons of books i read already , i own all of those and am awaiting some more

Great ideas! If I do a mac though I prefer to just do it right and buy one... Which one is recommended?

Thanks

any mac will do for xcode

regular surfing, netflix stream, demonoid stuff, youtube, nothing major until I try out Iphone dev

Base MacBook or iMac should do a great job with what you mentioned as well as iPhone SDK.