Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: background app

Default background app
    Hi,
    I have a nice idea for an iPhone app.
    I need it to run in the background, or at least do something when some event in the system occurs.
    Can someone please direct me to a piece of code, or an app that starts up when the phone boots, and stays on even when home button is pressed?
    thank you!

Can someone direct me to a tutorial for creating such apps?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by ramyaniv; 2009-09-14 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

backgrounder already exsists.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I think he wants to make an app that runs in the background

thanks, but i mean i need the app to run all the time, not only when enabled by backgrounder.
    or at least to be able to react to some events in the system.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The Backgrounder app is available for download from Cydia, your one stop source for all jailbroken apps. Once installed, you can send any app to background simply by holding the Home button until you get a pop up showing “Backgrounding Enabled.” Release the Home button after you see the dialog and you’ll go back to the home menu but the app you’ve put into the background will continue to run. I’ve tested this with the AIM chat app and have remained signed on even as I put it into the background with Backgrounder..
    I guess,this information will help you out.
    mod/edit links removed

thanks, i know of backgrounder.
    i need my app to run on jailbroken iPhones even if they do not run backgrounder.

Sounds to me like he's asking how to make a application that is always running.. such as QuickSMS or SBSettings. Where it's always running, even when you restart.
    wwjd

Is there an app that allows us non jail broken users to do the same thing as backgrounder does?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

No

Quote Originally Posted by RTJohnson View Post
    Is there an app that allows us non jail broken users to do the same thing as backgrounder does?
    Due to Apple's restrictions on the SDK, you can't have an application that runs in the background. They did give us PUSH though, so I guess that's acceptable. :P
    wwjd

Download the source code for Dock2

natetruestuff - Project Hosting on Google Code

its a app by nate true (it has some broken features in the latest 3.0 update) but it uses mobile substrate and shows how to hook into the springboard. The springboard is the app you will be using to run your program since the springboard never quits.