Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why Controllers?

Default Why Controllers?
    hi there,
    I'm new to iPhone developing, I started when the official SDK was released. So since I was doing PHP, a little delphi and very little c# before I read a lot of stuff in the ADC about objective-C and cocoa and iPhone programming.
    The language is pretty easy and intuative and I think I'm catching on pretty fast, although the massive number of existing classes is still hard to overview.

however, there is one thing I simply do not get: Why do controller classes exists?
    If I want to create a Toolbar, why can't I just create a UIToolbar object but I have to create a UIToolbarController object and use that?

Same thing for views: Whats the point of UIViewController Objects? UIView objects are the actual views, why do I need the controller class?

I'm really having trouble with this. I know there has to be some sense behind this, I'm just not seeing it. maybe someone can help me out here?

If you are familiar with later versions of Delphi, I would ask Why Actions and ActionLists?

Controllers are similar in some ways - they provide a separation between how the program responds to user input and how the program visually represents model data.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NetMage For This Useful Post:

BlackWolf (2008-03-14)