Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Calculator development

Arrow Calculator development
    I think I might be a little lost here. I would like to create a simple risk calculator in the iPhone. I have it working in an MS Word document. This calculator takes a few parameters from a data sheet (or data input) and calculates a certain medical risk.

I need to be able to put this into Xcode. It would likely be an utility type app, with a main view for the results, and a flipside for data entry, or everything in a single view.

I'm a physician, not a programmer, so please understand my limitations. I did some programming in BASIC and COBOL many, many moons ago, so I'm really rusty in the programming sense. I downloaded the iPhone SDK, and Xcode seems to get things started, but I'm not sure I can follow as it is right now.

Any tips, comments, help, etc, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Did you try googling for tutorials? There're couple of sites dedicated to iphone development also if you want to ask specific questions to developers. good luck with your app! I'm glad someone is trying to make an actual, useful app.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iAppleJuice For This Useful Post:

chanquete (2009-06-10)

I'll see what I can find. This is a small side job, but I'm hopeful that I'll get it done. Thanks for the encouragement.

I believe there are applications in the App Store already for making simple calculations on worksheets, besides the spreadsheet applications available.

You may want to consider using one of the programmable calculators or formula calculators instead if this is for personal use.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NetMage For This Useful Post:

chanquete (2009-06-16)

Quote Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
    I believe there are applications in the App Store already for making simple calculations on worksheets, besides the spreadsheet applications available.

You may want to consider using one of the programmable calculators or formula calculators instead if this is for personal use.
    Thanks.
    I was planning to make this available to anyone interested in assessing a specific medical risk. This has no commercial value, but I can see a large group of people using it, so I though it was a nice challenge.
    It might just be an exercise I'm imposing on myself to get it to work, and I probably didn't foresee it to be such a daunting task.