Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Jailbreaking Issue

Default iPhone Jailbreaking Issue
    Basically, I've updated my iPhone 3G to 2.2.1 (5H11) and my baseband is now 02.30.03 .. from googling around it looks like i'm stuck with what I've got, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Is there any way to downgrade the baseband so that I can jailbreak the phone? The only methods I could find were for phones that were already jailbroken. Any help is appreciated, thanks. (i'm on OSX 10.5.7)

Check out fuzzyband

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

You will be able to Jailbreak no matter what baseband you have.
    Doing an unlock to use on carrier other than AT&T might be the problem. You make have to use a sim adapter to do that.

I have not had to use it, but Fuzzyband will allow downgrading of the baseband to a version that does not require a sim adapter to unlock. I assumed the OP meant to say unlock rather than jailbreak.

^^ That's only if you have the same bootloader as early adopters.

i was under the impression that fuzzyband was through cydia, which would mean i would already have to have my phone jailbroken, how else would i run a third party app? i don't want/need to unlock the phone, just jailbreak it.

It doesn't matter what baseband you are on, you can Jailbreak your iPhone.

Jailbreak - 1.x.x - 3.0 beta 5 iPhone os versions is available now (you need to have an iTunes version earlier than the current 8.2.0.23 installed on your computer)

Unlock - Baseband has to be before 2.30.03

If you don't want to unlock the phone for a non-AT&T carrier, don't worry about the baseband version...

You can jailbreak your iPhone today!