Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3.0 Jailbreak

What's Jailbreak? wanted.dead.or.alive's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb 3.0 Jailbreak
    Okay so as usual the Dev-Team are keeping quiet about when jailbreak is coming to 3.0, but betweek a few IRC sessions and a look on twitter i now know the procidure for jailbreaking is the same, and therefore standard tools should work, with some modification... unfortunatly i am stuck on windows so my only option is quickpwn.

Now i can see two ways of doing this;

a) Modify ipsw file to identify as a currently supported firmware

b) Modify quickpwn to skip checking of ipsw authenticity

As b is a wee bit beyond me, i tried unpacking the ipsw for 3.0 and found a file called restore.plist that contains the version number and build id among other things, however making it look like 2.1 diddnt work.

I then tried renaming the dmg image files refered to in the restore.plist file to fit the profile of 2.2.1 and added a genuine 2.2.1 restore.plist and still no dice.

So my question is does anybody know the file(s) that quickpwn checks to find the version? anyone tried anything like this before? cause i would love jailbroken 3.0

meh... its not going to work. Do you know how many lines of code you'll need to go through

Thanks

Hopefully not too many..

All i need to do is make the 3.0 ipsw tell quickpwn its a 2.2.1 ipsw...
    Shouldnt be too difficuly if i know what bit of it quickpwn checks for the firmware version... And the contents of both stock ipsw files is almost exactly the same despite the version difference...

not going to work, but have fun trying

Thats what he meant, it would be many.

If it was an easy thing to do, the jailbreak would have already been leaked.

And besides, screw something up and end up with a useless brick. Is that worth it?

Thanks

What a headache....More power to you...

Thanks

And besides, screw something up and end up with a useless brick. Is that worth it?
    If the guys at the iPhone dev team had said that would we have a jailbreak at all?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You obviously don't know how the jailbreak works if you think you can just tell QuickPwn that "Oh hai, its a 3.0 firmware and you should like it". Even as hard as it is to make it accept and know what is different between 2.2 and 2.2.1, you have no idea the horror you would have to deal with to get it to work on 3.0. And the fact you really should have a Mac to break apart the software package.

And don't expect a jailbreak anytime before the release. There is going to be a few different versions of 3.0 beta before the final release and I would be surprised if they waste their time on one for the current beta just to have it go bye bye in a few weeks.

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

The DEV Team aleady jailbroke 3.0...The ONLY way apple could stop the jail break is new hardware correct? So why wont they release the jailbeak?
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

well for one if they release it, Apple will see how they did it and close the door on that exploit

Thanks

Has the exploit changed? I thought the only way apple could stop it was a hardware change... So I don't really belive that.

im glad i was late on this thread because i would have had the undeniable urge to flame him

the exploit for the bootloader is always going to be the same unless they change the processor, on the other hand it would not be as tragic as it is being portrayed as if apple decided to change things around to break the process. unfortunately for apple it is too late to do anything they have no doubt already started production of the new phone and it would be no surprise if there were already 10 million sitting in their ware house ready to be shipped.

wanted. dead. or. alive : even if they released the jailbreak rite now i would bet you that 5/6 of the apps dont work on the new fw
    Last edited by JStraitiff; 2009-03-28 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    wanted. dead. or. alive : even if they released the jailbreak rite now i would bet you that 5/6 of the apps dont work on the new fw
    Actually, it's about 9/10 do work. I've been running of 3.0 for about a week now and it's all good.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Actually, it's about 9/10 do work. I've been running of 3.0 for about a week now and it's all good.
    I think he is refering to the jailbroken apps..
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

Quote Originally Posted by wanted.dead.or.alive View Post
    If the guys at the iPhone dev team had said that would we have a jailbreak at all?
    No offense. But there's a big difference between the dev team.....and you. And they already have a jailbreak for 3.0. And as previously stated you cant just trick a program into thinking its not 3.0 (because the FW # has nothing to do with it) and expect it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.sparky View Post
    Has the exploit changed? I thought the only way apple could stop it was a hardware change... So I don't really belive that.
    sigh

Thanks

*The DevTeam is unstoppable untill a hardware change. We know that because they told us. So that's really not the reason. I know it's there work and they dont have to do anything untill they are ready.
    Everyone is knocking this guy because he wants to reverse engineer the app to work with 3.0 it just might be as easy a few byte patches then again it might not be. Do I know what I'm talking about well I'm the guy that cracked armadillo so the iden world could have themes. Idenintel that's me. Any thing is possible it just takes time

Thanks
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 871 Posts

Question Patch for 3.0 on cydia???
    That's right! looking thru the apps on cydia after downgrade from 3.0, i notice there's a mobileinstallation patch for 3.0... now how can you get this is the jailbreak is not release yet??? or it is???