Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP: webclip without starting safari

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lightbulb HELP: webclip without starting safari
    Dear members,

Can someone help with the following code:

I want to "program" a code for a webclip so by pushing the webclip it sends a command to my webserver, without starting safari.

The general idea is the a want serveral webclips on my springboard that behave like a AV-remote to control lights and my TV-channels.

All controlled through x10 and i know that there are several apps that can do that but they are not things that i'm looking for.

So if anyone can help me out, i would appriciate!

Excuse my English,

M-jay

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The Webclip is a simple icon that launches a URL. You can stick commands in the URL to send to the server but the only thing you are doing is simply putting a URL shortcut on your springboard and the only way to send HTML is with safari.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So there's no way to hide safari?

Your wanting the springboard to become an "app" basically.....instead of opening an app. Which really isnt possible. At least, it hasnt been done by anyone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No way to hide Safari. At least not following the Apple guidelines.

If you took the jailbreak route, you could look at a command line application that would run a URL request.

Example:

You want to active the page: http://site.com:9001/index.php?action=lights_on

You can have your application just run a command line script: wget --spider http://site.com:9001/index.php?action=lights_on

It will pretty much do what you want. Just make sure you require wget with your package. Again, this will only work on a jailbroken phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bryan,

Thanks for your solution!

So correct my if i'm wrong, i installed wget then i make a webclip and edit the url-string to: wget http://site.com:9001/index.php?action=lights_on

Thats all?

Mjay

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No. My solution does not use the webclip idea. You would need to create a program on the spring board that will pretty much run a shell command.

If you have a jailbroken phone and install wget and mobile terminal, you can run that command from the command line and will touch the page on the website. You will just need to replicate this using an application and the shell so when you launch it, it just runs that command as if you typed it into the terminal.