Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone dev with no experience??

Default iPhone dev with no experience??
    I have a curious question as I have a couple of apps I would like to develop. How hard is it to pick up on learning coding/programing for the iPhone? I have no experience in computer programing or coding, but would like to learn. Is it worth trying or should I give it up? Thanks.

You're probably going to need at least a bachelor's degree in computer science to begin. Which is exactly what I will be attending the University of Pittsburgh for next year. =]

Reading the Apple job listings on the website, almost every job listed in there (even "iPhone Junior Apps Developer," the people who write and edit SMS, Calendar, Photos, Safari, etc.) require a bachelor's degree. Even if you don't plan on getting work with Apple, becoming an independent dev would require just as much.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BoneCrif's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think it'd require a bachelors degree to start programming on the iPhone. All you need is the software, tutorials, patience and time.
    Unless you're talking about joining the actual iPhone developers... that might require a couple college years

8GB iPhone 2G
    3.1.2 - Unlocked and Jailbroken

AMD Athlon 5000 Dual-Core 2.2GHz with 4.00 GB RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

pssshhh!!! bachelors degree

you dont need any degrees... all you need is time, patience, a mac, and the iphone sdk

if you would like to learn i suggest the book series by Dave Mark

start with "learn c on the mac" then "learn objective c on the mac" at that point you decide if you want to get either the cocoa book or cocoa touch the one for the iphone is "Beggining iphone development: exploring the sdk)

those will give you everything you need to write your apps... just remember that things can get tedious so be prepared

also i would check out "the iphone developer's cookbook" by erica sadun

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JStraitiff For This Useful Post:

redshft (2009-03-03)

Thanks guys. Hopefully around summer time when school is finishing up for me I can commit some time to learning. I just want to try my hands at making some simple games.