Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OS X questions

Default OS X questions
    Let me first say that I grew up with MS-DOS (batch files, autoexec.bat, all that stuff), and I know very little about how OS X starts up, or scripts, or anything like that. If you mention batch file, I'll understand you. If you say something specific for OS X, I might not know what you are talking about.

Here are my tenuously related questions:

So my first question is this: how would (non-programatically) have SSH (which is usually disabled) re-enable itself upon bootup. (This would serve as a sort of emergency thing...in case I hit the app limit, I don't want to have to restore).

(e.g. if this were DOS, I would simply put an enable command in the autoexec.bat...how is this done here?)

On a related subject, how can I go about debugging (using printf statements) a program that I run from Summerboard? I have to run from Summerboard because the accelerometers don't register when run from Terminal. I assume I have to have the program save some sort of textfile, but is there an easy way? It is possible to have a custom "debugging" app that runs other apps, and saves all of the debugging info?

1. I use BossPrefs to disable SSH which has Config setting for enabling having SSH enabled on reboot. Fundamentally Windows is more like OS X (or Unix) than DOS, and SSH is like a Windows service. The difference is between stopping the service, or setting the service to disabled. In OS X, the equivalent is to use launchctl unload -w versus without the -w. The unload stops the service. The -w disables the service on disk so it will not load on reboot.

2. For debugging, I would use Erica's discovery of a re-routable NSLog that is part of GraphicsServices called GSLog. See her article at O'Reilly here:
    http://blogs.oreilly.com/digitalmedi...ay-to-log.html
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

Sweet...thanks.
    JLA