Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installing OSX Device Drivers to iPhone

Default Installing OSX Device Drivers to iPhone
    Has anyone tried or successfully attempted to install third-party peripherals to the iPhone that are usually for regular OSX-based computers?

In other words, say you went out, purchased a USB or FireWire CDROM. Is there a way to install the OSX drivers for that onto the iPhone then somehow hook it up and possibly write a program to access it? I'm sorry if this is completely ridiculous, but the Apple iPhone SDK website is currently down, so I can't even dig thru their documentation right now.

If this is possible, I'm assuming you need to jailbreak. Is this a valid statement?

~~EDIT~~

NetMage says no for the obvious reasons (ARM processor, d'oh!)

My next question:

Since the SDK site is down still, I wanted to know if there's a way to send data back and forth via either the USB or FireWire pins on the datacable to whatever.

In other words, I write a program. I hit a button on the screen and it sends a stream of bits out. I can also send streams of bits in to the iPhone and my program can read them. Is this possible?
    Last edited by Epon; 2008-08-29 at 04:38 PM.

Completely ridiculous

The iPhone runs an ARM processor. Desktop Macs run either Intel or PowerPC. Code isn't compatible.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NetMage For This Useful Post:

Epon (2008-08-29)

Quote Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
    Completely ridiculous

The iPhone runs an ARM processor. Desktop Macs run either Intel or PowerPC. Code isn't compatible.
    Thank you. I neglected to take that into consideration.

Ok, so here's my next question. Since the SDK site is down still, I wanted to know if there's a way to send data back and forth via either the USB or FireWire pins on the datacable to whatever.

In other words, I write a program. I hit a button on the screen and it sends a stream of bits out. I can also send streams of bits in to the iPhone and my program can read them. Is this possible?

It is possible.

You will have to join the iPod dock connector program, which I think is really expensive.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage