Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Modify plist files using an SDK app?

Default Modify plist files using an SDK app?
    Well, it's been a long time since I've even attempted to code anything, so I'm going to ask for a little (or a lot of) help:

I want to write an app that goes and modifies the preferences.plist file on my company's iPhones. All I need this app to do it to open that file and add a couple lines into the appropriate spot.

Specifically I'm trying to add a proxy server setting under the settings for our custom APN. Obviously I can add the code in manually to a jailbroken phone, but I'd like a way to do it without jailbreaking all the phones around.

Can anyone help me out?

I don't think it will be possible without jailbreak since a standard SDK application runs in a sandbox with restricted filesystem access.

What about using Apple's corporate configuration tools for the iPhone?
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

Yeah that would be ideal, however even the enterprise config tool doesn't allow for a proxy server to be setup on any cellular data connections. It's a glaring omission, IMHO - We can't be the only company with a setup like this.

If you can tell me where the file is located, I could see if it is accessible via the iTunesMobileDevice API with a USB connection without jailbreak.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

Default How does one change the proxy server for iphone 3G on ATT?
    @NetMage
    the file that possibly needs modification is the the preferences.plist file in /private/var/preferences/Systemconfiguration

@Jeweibe
    You said "Specifically I'm trying to add a proxy server setting under the settings for our custom APN. Obviously I can add the code in manually to a jailbroken phone, but I'd like a way to do it without jailbreaking all the phones around."

I want to do the same, however assuming it is a Jailbroken phone and one has access to the all the files and can change any file on the iphone. Which file would need to be changed and how?