Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Send SMS to myself from terminal?

Default Send SMS to myself from terminal?
    I'm wondering if it is possible to do one of the following in order to post a new SMS into my SMS 'mailbox' (for alerts from CLI apps I'm developing, etc):

1) A commandline app (similiar to the iphone CLI apps Erica released) that would allow me to send an SMS to myself for alerts, etc

2) A way to insert required fields into the sms.db sqlite db manually (using ported sqlite3), which would equate to '1 new SMS message'.

a) Would the iPhone SMS app even notice and _know_ that it is a new SMS if I insert it manually into the database?

3)Use AT&T's free tool for sending SMS online <-- Will not work since it requires login to access

4) Any other ideas??

Thanks!

Could a moderator please move this thread to a forum that is likely to generate an answer to my question so I don't have to double-post this elsewhere
    Last edited by craftyguy; 2008-05-17 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If its just the new sms badge on the sms icon that you want, there is a commandline app that can change the badge for any app on the springboard. Try looking for Erica's Utilities.
    << Jobs Announces New iPhone Nano! lol

That's a start I suppose.

1)Is there a more efficient way to create a new SMS message in my Inbox (with the iPhone's SMS app knowing it's 'new') than using sqlite3 to inject a new message into my sms.db, and using erica's app to set the SMS badge on the icon?

2)Would the iPhone's SMS app break if a new message is manually injected into the sms.db??

Thanks!

"Send SMS from terminal"
    Do you mean the terminal of your iPhone or the terminal of your PC/Mac?
    If you mean the terminal of your iPhone, you can open a connection to your /dev/tty.debug file and use AT commands to request sending a message.
    This website has some nice introduction about AT commands:
    SMS Tutorial: How to Send SMS Messages from a Computer/PC Using a Mobile Phone or GSM/GPRS Modem? AT Commands

Very interesting.
    Yes I would like to send from iPhone terminal.

The ideal situation would be if I could do so without actually _sending_ an SMS (like inserting directly into sms.db), so a user wouldn't get charged an SMS on their phone plan. Any ideas?

Thanks!

1)Is there a more efficient way to create a new SMS message in my Inbox (with the iPhone's SMS app knowing it's 'new') than using sqlite3 to inject a new message into my sms.db, and using erica's app to set the SMS badge on the icon?

There may be a procedure to add a new SMS message but I imagine it is buried in the phone and not designed to be publicly accessible. Unfortunately Apple hasn't yet realized the concept of making the standard iPhone applications common use (as they have with the AddressBook).

2)Would the iPhone's SMS app break if a new message is manually injected into the sms.db??

I would think it shouldn't break, but I would bet there is a notification that is supposed to be sent in case the application is running so it knows when a new message is received. I would think the notification would also take care of the badge update. The trick is figuring it out.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

cydia has sendsms app might be useful check it out