Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OpenGL ES without flicker?

Default OpenGL ES without flicker?
    I got an iPod touch recently and am looking to port the Quake games to it, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting an OpenGL ES context set up in a way which doesn't flicker and reveal the status bar underneath.

At the moment I'm using code borrowed from http://code.google.com/p/meadanglobe/ to set up the OpenGL context.

Does anyone know how to set up OpenGL ES the "right way"?

The official docs recommend using a CAEAGLLayer, which doesn't appear to exist in the unofficial SDK.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You may try to download iPhone SDK beta 4, which has the Open GL ES feature you might find suitable. It is available since 3 days ago.

Thanks,

I don't think I can actually use the official SDK - I don't have a Mac, just a Windows box, but perhaps there's another way to fish the required files out of the disk image? (I would need to check if that's against the SDK agreement or not.)

Edit: I should add that Lazrhog helped me out with some code to reduce the flickering:
    Code:
    	// Hide the status bar.
    	[UIHardware _setStatusBarHeight: 0.0];
    	[self setStatusBarMode: 2 duration: 0];

Green Apple
    Thanks

To use iPhone SDK you may install Mac OS Leopard on a Intel PC with SSE3 enabled, such as powered by dual core. At least 1GB RAM, and about 80GB HDD. There is an article at hackint0sh if I am not mistaken telling you how to do it.