Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ObjectiveC 2.0 support - toolchain?

Default ObjectiveC 2.0 support - toolchain?
    Does the toolchain GCC (specifically one compiled last November) support ObjectiveC 2.0 (e.g. the @property tag)?
    When compiling, I get a "Leopard only" warning...
    JLA

No. Rather the iphone OS released so far does not support ObjC 2.0 (it's a half way point between Tiger and Leopard.) It sounds like the SDK beta 2.0 is ObjC 2.0 without garbage collection.

Thanks...but deg gommit...
    It seems that without garbage collection, ObjC2.0 is a glorified set of macros...
    I wish there were some way that properties could be parsed by a compiler and converted into the traditional ObjC1.0 methods behind the scenes.

Huh, not sure what you mean. Preference/plist files can be loaded direct to dictionaries. I'm confused by your properties / ObjC comments.

I mean as far as I see it, the parts of ObjC that are new to 2.0 that I use are similar to macro...they don't offer much new functionality, but rather save time.

Code:
    @property(retain, readwrite) NSObject* exampleProperty;
    ----
    @synthesize exampleProperty=myVariable;
    is (I assume) just like plugging in the code:
    Code:
    - (void) setExampleProperty: (NSObject*) aValue
    {
    [aValue retain];
    [myVariable release];
    myVariable=aValue;
    }

-(NSObject*) exampleProperty
    {
    return myVariable;
    }
    Now I'm sure they do more stuff behind the scenes (serialization perhaps?), but I just wish an entire different runtime wasn't required. Would it be possible to implement the objC_setProperty(...) [etc] method to enable this behavior?
    Last edited by JLA; 2008-04-12 at 03:26 AM. Reason: grammar