Page 439 of 613 FirstFirst ... 339389429437438439440441449489539 ... LastLast
Results 8,761 to 8,780 of 12259

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UniAW7

Thanks
    Thanked 16,463 Times in 7,695 Posts

Default UniAW7
    If Yahoo Place Finder continues to be a pain in the azz.. WW can probably be changed to use GoogleMaps API for location. The weather data itself, that WW2 hooks into from iOS 9's use of weather.com, is still working perfectly. It's only the expanded location data WW2 grabs from YahooPlaceFinder that's been on the fritz from our 'favorite' Yahoo... Uggh.

Google Maps free (and no API key need) API never goes down. It's the centerpiece of my UltimateLocation iWidget I've been tweaking for the last 18 months. And talk about "expanded location data"... Google absolutely blows away YahooPlaceFinder for location data. Totally free API too. Maybe it's time to switch..

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

bliken (2016-01-20), nik1975 (2016-01-20)

I thought WW2 got the location straight from the device.
    I have seen no issues with city name here in the Philippines.

Thanks

Default UniAW7
    Quote Originally Posted by ;7346666
    I have seen no issues with city name here in the Philippines.
    Weird. You don't see "TBD" in your city field in UniAW7?

This is what many are reporting seeing this am.

Thanks

Default UniAW7
    Quote Originally Posted by ;7346666
    Not really. iOS grabs less info from Weather.com for its Weather.app. I think King_O_Hill and SDDev wanted more expanded location data than weather.com offered so WW2 grabs that from a better Yahoo feed than we were using in the "locale" days. Somehow WW2 taps into YahooPlaceFinder - Yahoo's attempt at a GoogleMaps - fuller location info feed. I think that's how the story goes. KOH will correct me if I'm wrong..
    Last edited by NewD; 2016-01-20 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
    Weird. You don't see "TBD" in your city field in UniAW7?

This is what many are reporting seeing this am.
    Nope, all good here:

Try turning off additional locations, I never use then, you never know, worth a try.
    Last time I saw TBD was many months ago & after I did a force refresh from WW2 settings page all was good again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0305.png  
    Last edited by <Ian Nicoll/>; 2016-01-20 at 02:50 PM.

Not really. iOS grabs less info from Weather.com for its Weather.app. I think King_O_Hill and SDDev wanted more expanded location data than weather.com offered so WW2 grabs that from a better Yahoo feed than we were using in the "locale" days. Somehow WW2 taps into YahooPlaceFinder - Yahoo's attempt at a GoogleMaps - fuller location info feed. I think that's how the story goes. KOH will correct me if I'm wrong..
    Then how does it get the settings? distance filter, desired accuracy etc.. These are all done in Objective-C on device using coreLocation, now I'm confused.
    Oh, it probably just gets the coordinates from the device then the city name from those coordinates via Yahoo... maybe.
    Last edited by <Ian Nicoll/>; 2016-01-20 at 02:46 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to <Ian Nicoll/> For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (2016-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by <Ian Nicoll/> View Post
    Nope, all good here:
    Isn't it possible that your js code to 'fix' the WRONG city isn't why you're getting the correct city name? I know you added that piece of code to fix a WRONG name to a right name. That could be the reason you're seeing a cityname..

Then how does it get the settings? distance filter, desired accuracy etc.. These are all done in Objective-C on device using coreLocation, now I'm confused.
    Oh, it probably just gets the coordinates from the device then the city name from those coordinates via Yahoo... maybe.
    Yep.. You got it!.. Just grabs coordinates from phone..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

TiLT1oNE (2016-01-20)

Isn't it possible that your js code to 'fix' the WRONG city isn't why you're getting the correct city name? I know you added that piece of code to fix a WRONG name to a right name. That could be the reason you're seeing a cityname..
    Haha, no I'm not cheating, this is my correction code: There is no "if (cityname == TBD)" LOL.
    Code:
    // IF YAHOO GETS YOUR CITY NAME WRONG YOU CAN CORRECT IT HERE!
    if ((cityname == "Tawid") || (cityname == "Cabulihan") || (cityname == "Libagon") || (cityname == "Panan-Awan")) {cityname = "Guadalupe";}
    You always need proof, you want my xml file?

Thanks

Haha, no I'm not cheating, this is my correction code: There is no "if (cityname == TBD)" LOL.
    Code:
    // IF YAHOO GETS YOUR CITY NAME WRONG YOU CAN CORRECT IT HERE!
    if ((cityname == "Tawid") || (cityname == "Cabulihan") || (cityname == "Libagon") || (cityname == "Panan-Awan")) {cityname = "Guadalupe";}
    You always need proof, you want my xml file?
    Interesting.. Figures your phone would be immune... LOOL.. Sure.. send me an xml file... There is no 'location id' in any of the ones being reported as not working.. I'd like to see if yours looks the same.. I will also try your test of turning off multiple connections. Can't see how that would affect this.. But worth a try.. Thanks!

I just checked my xml file, searched it for TBD and found 2 entries:
    <name>TBD</name>
    <locationid>TBD</locationid>

But in uniAW7 I use Neighbourhood as city name, my correct city name without any JS correction is Tawid and there is also 2 entries for that:
    <extraLocLine2>Tawid</extraLocLine2>
    <extraLocNeighborhood>Tawid</extraLocNeighborhood>

The second one is the one I get using Neighbourhood as cityname then in JS I correct it to Guadalupe.

So try selecting Neighbourhood as your city name source, see if it works for you.

Thanks

I just checked my xml file, searched it for TBD and found 2 entries:
    <name>TBD</name>
    <locationid>TBD</locationid>

But in uniAW7 I use Neighbourhood as city name, my correct city name without any JS correction is Tawid and there is also 2 entries for that:
    <extraLocLine2>Tawid</extraLocLine2>
    <extraLocNeighborhood>Tawid</extraLocNeighborhood>

The second one is the one I get using Neighbourhood as cityname then in JS I correct it to Guadalupe.

So try selecting Neighbourhood as your city name source, see if it works for you.
    Very interesting! Okay so at least your WW2 is also working the same, generally, as the rest of ours. TBD in 'name' field has been normal for over a year now. We used to get WeatherStation city in the 'name' field and Weather.com stopped reporting that pretty quickly after they gave it to us.

But LocationID shouldn't be empty. Neither should City.. Is your extraLocationCity blank as well?

I will try setting to 'neighborhood' but I doubt that will work for me as in my area they don't report neighborhoods. Only in small/large cities in US does neighborhood show. But worth a try.

By the way.. Turning off multiple locations didn't solve it.

Thanks

Nope.. "neighborhood" didn't solve it for me.. But that's because there is no neighborhood showing in my xml..

What I'm wracking my brain trying to find out is WHY UniAW7-based widgets are showing TBD for name. I didn't know you used 'name' or 'locationID' as your cityName field.. Any thoughts?

Very interesting! Okay so at least your WW2 is also working the same, generally, as the rest of ours. TBD in 'name' field has been normal for over a year now. We used to get WeatherStation city in the 'name' field and Weather.com stopped reporting that pretty quickly after they gave it to us.

But LocationID shouldn't be empty. Neither should City.. Is your extraLocationCity blank as well?

I will try setting to 'neighborhood' but I doubt that will work for me as in my area they don't report neighborhoods. Only in small/large cities in US does neighborhood show. But worth a try.

By the way.. Turning off multiple locations didn't solve it.
    Here is my xml file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by <Ian Nicoll/>; 2016-01-20 at 03:43 PM.

Nope.. "neighborhood" didn't solve it for me.. But that's because there is no neighborhood showing in my xml..

What I'm wracking my brain trying to find out is WHY UniAW7-based widgets are showing TBD for name. I didn't know you used 'name' or 'locationID' as your cityName field.. Any thoughts?
    It doesn't use "name" or "locationID" so it doesn't matter if they are null (or TBD).

Here is all it uses:
    Code:
    // CITY INFORMATION
    var cityname = obj.city;
    switch (UseExtraLocation) {
        case "city":
        if ((obj.extraLocCity != null) && (obj.extraLocCity != "") && (typeof(obj.extraLocCity) != "undefined")) { cityname = obj.extraLocCity; }
    break;
        case "neighborhood":
        if ((obj.extraLocNeighborhood != null) && (obj.extraLocNeighborhood != "") && (typeof(obj.extraLocNeighborhood) != "undefined")) { cityname = obj.extraLocNeighborhood; }

else if ((obj.extraLocCity != null) && (obj.extraLocCity != "") && (typeof(obj.extraLocCity) != "undefined")) { cityname = obj.extraLocCity; }

else if ((obj.extraLocCounty != null) && (obj.extraLocCounty != "") && (typeof(obj.extraLocCounty) != "undefined")) { cityname = obj.extraLocCounty; }
        break;
    }

If you use "city" as cityname source you must have data in "extraLocCity" (which I have), if you have no data for "extraLocCity" then this is your issue, but I use neighbourhood so it uses "extraLocNeighborhood".

Is there anything is your xml file that states where you are?

So in the code above, if you choose cityname source as "city" it uses "extraLocCity", nothing else.

If you choose neighbourhood it uses "extraLocNeighborhood"
    but if "extraLocNeighborhood" is null it uses "extraLocCity"
    but if "extraLocCity" is also null it will use 'extraLocCounty".
    Last edited by <Ian Nicoll/>; 2016-01-20 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks

It doesn't use "name" or "locationID" so it doesn't matter if they are null.
    I didn't say your code needed them. What I mean is that they're the ONLY fields (never null that I've ever seen in any xml) that carry the 3 letters TBD... which is what UniAW7 is showing as cityname when set to 'city' in the config.js. UniAW7 must be getting the characters TBD (to display as city) from somewhere.

If you use "city" as cityname source you must have data in "extraLocCity" (which I have), if you have no data for "extraLocCity" then this is your issue,
    But again. Where is U7 getting the characters TBD from to display?

Is there anything is your xml file that states where you are?
    Let me check.
    EDITED: My 'extraLocCity' in null. As is my 'city', 'extraLocNeighborhood' and 'extraLocCounty'.
    Last edited by NewD; 2016-01-20 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks

Ian,
    What version of WW are you using? Your xml file is formatted differently than all the others I've seen. Your location data is all at the end of the xml. The xml's created with the most recent version of WW2 have the locations data in the first 57 lines of the xml.

What's weird too is that when I enter your coordinates in YahooPlaceFinder in my browser on my computer.. it also comes up null in all fields - just like for my coordinates. So YahooPlaceFinder seems defintely down. But then there's your xml... fully populated with location data.. What an interesting mystery.
    Last edited by NewD; 2016-01-20 at 04:18 PM.

I didn't say your code needed them. What I mean is that they're the ONLY fields (never null that I've ever seen in any xml) that carry the 3 letters TBD... which is what UniAW7 is showing as cityname when set to 'city' in the config.js. UniAW7 must be getting the characters TBD (to display as city) from somewhere.

But again. Where is U7 getting the characters TBD from to display?
    OK, I see this weird code that seems to have something missing after "&& (obj.extraLocCity" but never mind that for now:
    First we have this:
    obj.city = $(this).find('name').text(); (so I was wrong, it is using "name").

Then later we have this:
    if ((obj.city == "") && (obj.extraLocCity)) { obj.city = obj.extraLocCity; }
    Basically if obj.city (which until now is "name") equals "" (nothing or null) then use "obj.extraLocCity"

There is nothing in the code to say "if ((obj.city == "TBD")"
    So your obj.city does NOT equal "" (nothing or null) because it says "TBD", so it thinks this is your city name & displays it.

I could change this to:
    if ((obj.city == "") || (obj.city == "TBD")) { obj.city = obj.extraLocCity; }
    BUT since your "extraLocCity" is also null it won't help you (but it might help some!).
    Last edited by <Ian Nicoll/>; 2016-01-20 at 04:26 PM.

Ian,
    What version of WW are you using? Your xml file is formatted differently than all the others I've seen. Your location data is all at the end of the xml. The xml's created with the most recent version of WW2 have the locations data in the first 57 lines of the xml.

What's weird too is that when I enter your coordinates in YahooPlaceFinder in my browser on my computer.. it also comes up null in all fields - just like for my coordinates. So YahooPlaceFinder seems defintely down. But then there's your xml... fully populated with location data.. What an interesting mystery.

Version 2.0-8, maybe it's because I never use extra locations?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Maybe Yahoo's location data feed is only down for certain parts of the world.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Marty McFly (2016-01-20), NewD (2016-01-20)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Maybe Yahoo's location data feed is only down for certain parts of the world.
    This is what I guessing.

Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0

25. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Marty McFly (2016-01-20)

Page 439 of 613 FirstFirst ... 339389429437438439440441449489539 ... LastLast