Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MYO5 Lockscreen cydget for iOS 8

Default MYO5 Lockscreen cydget for iOS 8
    This is a cydget theme!
    This requires a WeatherUnderground API key!
    This does NOT work with WW2!

Now, 80% of reader have already left the building.
    For the remain 20%, thank you!

OK, what is MYO5?
    MYO stands for Make Your Own and it is version 5.
    MYO has risen from the idea that a lot of users have trouble customising themes as it is involves code editing. This is something a few can do easily here, but the majority has to ask where and what they have to change.
    Now imagine a user who have no idea about code. For those people is MYO!
    You can change almost everything without editing a single line of code.
    This done by using a Graphical Setup, which is a Home screen icon that opens a menu in which you can change thing and then save those changes. Those saved changes are being stored in a database and being read by the theme.
    So, what can it do?
    MYO is just a simple weather Lockscreen cydget, nothing else!
    It can run on iPhone 4/4S, 5/5S, 6, 6+, iPad Retina/Mini Retina, iPad 2/Mini. (have not tested all of them as I only have a 5S and iPad Mini), but quite confident it will work on the others as well.
    This is a link to a quick tutorial, that should give you an idea what it can do.
    The default LS looks like

You might wonder where is the weather, well, weather animation has been disabled in the default database which comes with the theme to soften the overload!
    I also think it is rather pointless to show screenshot of a theme that can have endless looks.
    Now to the confusing part. LOL
    I like WW2 and almost every theme/iWidget uses it. Sadly WW2 use weather.com (iOS 8 Weather App weather service ) and that is even worse then Yahoo was here in the UK. So I found WeatherUnderground which works as the best weather service for me.
    MYO5 also uses local stored weather.xml files, like WW2, only with WeatherUnderground.
    In order to achieve this MYO5 depends on a little package called "GPS & WUG", also available at MMUS repo (apt.mmus.us).
    This little package consists of 6 files, 3 shell scripts, 2 LaunchDaemon plist files and one PreferenceLoader plist file. More info

Well, if you made it so far without brain-freeze, MYO might be for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -ls.png  
    Nothing is impossible only miracles take a bit longer!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

Hoaianh2007 (2015-03-10), jawonder (2015-02-21), King_O_Hill (2015-02-22), lostinthemes (2015-02-23), Marty McFly (2015-02-21), metaserph (2015-02-20), NewD (2015-02-19), undersea (2015-02-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,464 Times in 7,696 Posts

Superb, Ras!! You know I love your stuff and your unique approach to widget building and problem-solving! I will certainly use this one and learn much from it! Thanks for posting it for the rest of us!. You might want to give people a quick post on how to get their free API from WeatherUnderground. You and I already have ours.

At a meeting tonight.. But can't wait to jump in on this baby tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    You might want to give people a quick post on how to get their free API from WeatherUnderground
    Is in the quick tutorial link!
    Had to use a link as I don't think I could get all that into one post. LOL
    Installation should be straight forward.
    1.) install GPS & WUG, respring to be able to see the new Settings menu, then setup the new Settings menu, API key and language selection, also switch every switch off and back on, otherwise the resulting plist file will not save every key!
    Check that /var/mobile/Library/Preference/com.myo.wug.plist has 10 enteries!
    Reboot!
    Only then does LaunchDaemon start the shell scripts that are reading all 10 entries of that plist file to progress further.
    If you see a /var/mobile/wug/lat.txt and long.txt file (Your GPS coordinates), and a /var/mobile/Documents/mywug.xml file then the package is working.
    Next install MYO5.
    Should work right out of the box, I have set all required symlinks and all file permissions/ownership to the ones required.
    Any problem let me know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    Is in the quick tutorial link!
    Had to use a link as I don't think I could get all that into one post. LOL
    Installation should be straight forward.
    1.) install GPS & WUG, respring to be able to see the new Settings menu, then setup the new Settings menu, API key and language selection, also switch every switch off and back on, otherwise the resulting plist file will not save every key!
    Check that /var/mobile/Library/Preference/com.myo.wug.plist has 10 enteries!
    Reboot!
    Only then does LaunchDaemon start the shell scripts that are reading all 10 entries of that plist file to progress further.
    If you see a /var/mobile/wug/lat.txt and long.txt file (Your GPS coordinates), and a /var/mobile/Documents/mywug.xml file then the package is working.
    Next install MYO5.
    Should work right out of the box, I have set all required symlinks and all file permissions/ownership to the ones required.
    Any problem let me know.
    Will this in any way interfere my WidgetWeather running?

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Will this in any way interfere my WidgetWeather running?
    No, not at all!
    Just a different way to get GPS position.

Thanks

Okay - just installed, Ras. No Settings panel in prefs pane as you instruction indicate will be there.. Installation in Cydia went fine. But your instructions say to turn off all switch in Settings off and then back on before rebooting. But I can't do that step - since not in Settings. What next?

EDIT: Okay - you need a respring before the WUG Setup appears in Settings.. And then I followed your next step which was to turn off and then back on all switches I wanted. I did that.. Then Reboot. After reboot - I had a var/mobile/wug folder but no mywug.txt file in var/mobile/Documents. What next?

EDIT2: Okay - after another fuil reboot I have a wug.xml now. But in it it's saying 'no key found'. I'm assuming that means no WUapi key found? My proper WU API key is indeed in the WUG Setup. But in var/mobile/wug/api.txt that file in empty. Could that be the problem?

EDIT3: I entered the API key manually in api.txt. But that didn't fix it. After another reboot - that txt file was empty again.
    Last edited by NewD; 2015-02-20 at 10:07 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

rasputin007 (2015-02-21)

Thanks

One strange thing in the functioning of the WUG Setup that may be causing the failure of my API Key to be registering - is that when you enter the field in the WUG Setup to enter your API - when you're done entering it.. Hitting "DONE" on the pop up keyboard does NOT work. You can only leave the field by entering the 'language field'.. And then the keyboard never disappears - and you can't scroll the window down to choose any switches..
    Last edited by NewD; 2015-02-21 at 10:33 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

rasputin007 (2015-02-21)

I usually just go back to Settings after entering the API key in WUG Setup.
    The important thing is that there are 10 entries in the /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.myo.wug.plist file. These are:
    hourly, forecast10day, forecast, hourly10day, alerts, conditions, astronomy, wug, language, api_key.

Once you have all these 10 entries it will work.
    The shell scripts work as you get all these txt files in /var/mobile/wug and the mywug.xml file. But because your api.txt file is empty you get the error in the mywug.xml.
    Editing the api.txt file is useless as the automated shell script will overwrite the api.txt file every time BEFORE the mywug.xml is fetched.
    I am not an expert in Settings menus and learn from looking at other plist files, but have not found the key/string that instantly saves every entry.
    But once you have the entry changes will be saved instantly. I just did this for that screenshot above. I changed my api key - for the screenshot - then went back to Settings and the new api key was in the plist file. Took that screenshot, then went back and entered my api key, went back to Settings and it my api key was saved in the plist file.
    Initial setup is a lot of resprings and reboots, because you need a respring to see the new WUG Setup menu and you need a reboot to get LaunchDaemon to start the shell scripts.
    Do you have a lat.txt and long.txt in /var/mobile/wug? If so look at the time of the files.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 2015-02-21 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks

Lat and long files are fine. Just can't get my API key to work. And downloading of MYO5 placed it in LockCydgets folder in System/Library but not showing in Cydgets window.

My plist com.myo.wug.plist only has 9 items in it including my API key. Still mywug.xml shows APIKey not found.
    Last edited by NewD; 2015-02-21 at 10:55 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

rasputin007 (2015-02-21)

OK, I have just uploaded both packages again.
    In the GPS & WUG package I have now added a "default" /var/mobile/Library/Preference/com.myo.wug.plist file, which I did not before as iOS usually creates this. But there seemed to be a problem with that creation. This should solve it as now there is a 10 entry plist file.
    The MYO5T cydget folder has Group "wheel", but change this to "admin" and it works (also for all subfolders and files!), Owner "root" is fine.

I have changed this in the package now as well.
    Reinstall both packages and then you should only need to enter your api key again as the "default" plist will contain "Your API Key" and language is set to British English, might want to change that as well.
    Looking at your plist file it does not contain any language field, I guess you have not changed that and left the English, that's why it did not save it in the plist file. But all this should be history now with the inclusion of a default plist file.

EDIT:
    Thanks for finding these little bugs. Is a problem as I have sooo many files on my iPhone/iPad that often when testing I miss something that's vital to others but does not show as a bug on my testing as I have those files.
    Best testing would be on a virgin restored and JB device, but sadly not possible now.

EDIT2:
    Don't forget to change your iDevice! Default is iPhone5/5S in "MYO5T Setup" before you start moving things around.
    I did that once on my iPad and copied the database onto my iPhone as I really liked the setup, then changed iDevice from iPad to iPhone 5/5S and some elements were off screen. LOL
    Last edited by rasputin007; 2015-02-21 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks

Okay Ras. Did everything you asked. Same problem with no api key found. I uninstalled everything and cleared all prefs files and rebooted. Reinstalled all elements in proper order and proper reboot sequences. Still nothing..

Don't know what to try next.

Do you press "Done" after entering the api key in WUG Setup or is there an empty space after your api key?
    I am asking because the shell script will read the api_key entry in the plist file and write the complete entry into the api.txt file. If there is an empty space or "end of line" character (you don't see either of them) then this will be transferred into the url and that turns it into an unrecognised key.
    I don't, after entering the last letter of my api key, I tap the top where it says Settings, to go back to Settings menu. That is enough to save the api key in /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.myo.wug.plist.
    If that does not work, then there is another way. LOL

btw you need to turn on astronomy for MYO5.

EDIT:
    Don't need the previous changes!
    There is a different problem as all your txt files (apart from lat.txt and long.txt) have 0 bytes.
    My guess is a missing command line executable.
    Just have to figure out which one it is.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 2015-02-21 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks

The "DONE" key on the keyboard does nothing in your setup on API key. Tap it and the keyboard does not go away as it should. My API.txt is empty. But both the WUG Setup and my.wug.plist have the APIKey in them as per the screenie I showed in last email. No spaces at the end of my API key. All entered perfectly.

Haven't tried your additional code step yet..

But I don't think that will help either because:
    1) my API key shows in Wug setup
    2) my API shows in the com.wug.plist
    3) I HAVE an API.txt file - it's just empty
    Last edited by NewD; 2015-02-21 at 04:51 PM.

The code change in wug.sh will stop an overwrite when you enter your api key manually into api.txt.
    My wug folder looks like this and yours should look the same.

Thanks

Mine has 0bytes in all files but lat/long

Thanks

Does your phone have any mobile substrates (tweaks) other than your own tweak here? My guess is that there's a conflict with one of my other tweaks.

No other confict, but you might not have "plutil".
    Open a Mobile terminal and enter "plutil -help". You should see a help menu, if you don't then plutil is not installed.
    Or check if you have a /usr/bin/plutil file.
    That is again one of the things, I have lots of shell commands from Saurik's repo installed and plutil is not included in the "common" installation.

Hmm, can not find the package that has plutil included, but found the package that has "ps" included and the shell scripts are using this.
    It is in the "adv-cmds_119-5_iphoneos-arm.deb" in Cydia from Saurik's repo.
    Don't think it gets installed by default.
    Have to add this then as a dependency to GPS & WUG package.

EDIT:
    Found it!
    Plutil is in "Erica Utilities" free Cydia package, a lot of apps/tweaks depend on this.
    HERE is a list of what it does.
    Got mine from "ios-webstack.tk/cydia" repo, as I installed the iPhone Web server.

EDIT2:
    Just looked at the control file from Erica Utilities
    Code:
    Package: com.ericasadun.utilities 
    Name: Erica Utilities 
    Version: beta17
    Architecture: iphoneos-arm
    Description: A collection of command-line utilities for various purposes.
    Depiction: http://modmyi.com/info/ericautilities.d.php
    Homepage: http://modmyi.com/info/ericautilities.php  
    Maintainer: Erica Sadun <[email protected]> 
    Author: Erica Sadun <[email protected]> 
    Section: Utilities
    Sponsor: ModMyi.com <http://modmyi.com>
    Looks like Erica Utilities is on MMi repo!

EDIT3:
    Updated GPS & WUG package with those dependencies.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 2015-02-21 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks

Ok. AdvCmnds is installed as a dependency of Cydget.. So that's already on my phone.. And I believe Erica Utilities is a dependency of MobileTerminal which I don't use - so I don't see the pl-util in the Expert tab of Cydia as being on my phone. So I'll try that next.
    Last edited by NewD; 2015-02-21 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks

THAT DID IT, Ras!! The installation of Erica Utilities and a reboot was the last piece of the puzzle!!

Just make sure Erica Utilities is a dependency of WUG and it will all work! No need to make Adv-Cmd a dependency since Cydget will automatically install that..

I'm gonna look at your code a bit to see if I can parse all the data from WUnderground for some of my WW widgets.

Nice work!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

rasputin007 (2015-02-21)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast