Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MYO5 Lockscreen cydget for iOS 8

Thanks
    Thanked 16,464 Times in 7,696 Posts

Default MYO5 Lockscreen cydget for iOS 8
    It was a good day, generally, yesterday, Ras. I rewrote the ParseData section of my widgets code to work with those two files.. Occasionally I'm getting a strange situation where several of the fields don't populate the window of my widget but that only lasts for one of the 10 second update cycles where the widget is refreshing from the two XML files. Maybe there's something going on there with synchronous versus asynchronous since it's pulling from two files..

Generally I'm happy with the product and it's nice and clean for the clients I'll eventually want to be selling this to. Though I wonder if Saurik would ever approve a tweak (yours) that used shell scripts running in the background. I hear he's very picky about what kinds of tweaks he allows to be released on Cydia based on what they do. Obviously if I'm going to sell my widget on Cydia I don't want them to have to download a .deb file and additional dependencies on their own and use iFile's installer. I want it to be all nice and smooth in Cydia. And, of course, it's not even my tweak to submit to Cydia for approval… it's your tweak. Unless you would allow me to submit it to Saurik. It would still bear your name but I could be the dev contact email in Cydia for any problems.

Before I ask you to remake me that .deb file (dependencies: EricaUtil & cURL) with the most recent updates you just did to create the yahoo.XML - is it possible (sort of how you did for me to get rid of CData in mywug), to add a support file to add a line break in the yahoo.XML file after each close tag.. ?
    Code:
    <...../>
    The address.XML has linebreaks already, possibly formatted from Google themselves… But the Yahoo response from their API strings everything is one long line.

At your leisure! And many thanks!
    Grant
    Last edited by NewD; 2015-04-01 at 02:13 PM.

Attached is the final version of GoogleGPS (just as last one but now with line breaks in yahoo.xml). Also changed the Settings icon to "appropriate" size and changed the switch text, was too long.

Use Unarchiver app on your Mac (or UniversalExtractor on Windows) to unpack the deb file then open the DEBIAN/control file (is a txt file) and edit it to suit you, BUT do not change the dependency line, as Saurik most likely wants a control file or the information in it when you submit your package.
    Try it and see what Saurik says, he might be fine with this.
    I don't mind if you run this as your tweak.
    All my stuff is OpenSource and if you want to use it you are welcome.
    The current control file looks like this
    Code:
    Author: Rasputin007 <[email protected]>
    Name: GoogleGPS
    Description: GPS logging every 45 seconds -var/mobile/wug/gpslat.txt and gpslong.txt, address from Google Maps for these GPS position - /var/mobile/Documents/address.xml.
    Section: Utilities
    Version: 1.0
    Package: com.mmus.googlegps
    Architecture: iphoneos-arm
    Depends: lynx, sed, curl, cycript, adv-cmds, com.ericasadun.utilities
    Homepage: http://www.mmus.us
    Maintainer: Rasputin007 <[email protected]>
    Sponsor: Mobile Modding US <http://www.mmus.us>
    You might want to change all, except the red text, to whatever suits you best. You also should have some screenshots, e.g. GPS-Location Setup menu.
    It is entirely up to you if you want to include this with your widget or separate. The advantage of having it separate is that one tweak supports many widgets, whereas if you include it the second widget requires the first widget to be installed because it has the tweak. Or if you include the tweak with every widget then you only can run ONE widget as Cydia will not install the same tweak on top!
    I personally would recommend to submit the tweak separately and make it a dependency for your widget.
    This also would make me feel better as the tweak would be free, but the widget is a paid widget. I don't mind if other people use/reuse my stuff, but do not like when they use my stuff for paid apps. LOL
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rasputin007; 2015-04-01 at 09:03 PM.
    Nothing is impossible only miracles take a bit longer!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

NewD (2015-04-02)

Thanks

Sounds great, Ras. I will do as you suggest..

There's one last technical thing that's plaguing me.. I was noticing, after I cleared all calls to the widgetweather.xml that my widget had been using (and now relying totally on address.xml and yahoo.xml generated by your tweak) that my widget was NOT updating at the 45 sec interval I'd set - WHILE WidgetWeather was set to FIXED mode.. FIXED MODE in WW does not actively check the GPS antenna.. BUT HOW could WW be affecting your shell scripts?? But as soon as I switched WW to GPS mode.. YOUR tweak started getting data at its set time interval (45 sec). NOW.. Your widget IS updating the address.xml and yahoo.xml files after 45 sec BUT NOT WITH NEW DATA (I mentioned this a few post ago and the problem seemed to go away.. but still around even after several reboots).. SAME DATA is in the xmls after 2 and 3 minutes even though the file update time is every 45 sec.. even though I'm moving down the road.. When my widget was tethered to WW it would update address every 20 sec at the set interval in my widget.. Data written in widgetweather.xml was fresh every couple of meters..

Also there are two different modes that an hook into the GPS antenna of an iPhone can use. "Significant Change" or "Standard" modes.. SDDev gave us both options in WW. I leave WW set to Standard.. as Significant change updates way less often.

So I finally today uninstalled WW all together.. after it last being in GPS mode with Standard Mode -- wondering if this triggers the GPS reporting internally to its fastest settings.. But now with NO WW on my phone.. The updating process is stilted and slow from your widget.. AS IF it NEEDS WW to make it 'fast' like WW is in terms of the sampling accuracy when a sample is asked for every 45 seconds.. WW, SOMEHOW, makes your shells more accurate and faster.. Is there anywhere in the shells you can hard set the GPS sampling mode to STANDARD like WW evidently does when it's running in GPS mode? You've done most (all?) of your testing on your iPad while stationary.. right? Have you ever run your MYO LS widgets with the iPad while travelling to see how quickly it updates? This is the only way you could see what I'm referring to.. If your tweak is to be the final engine I use.. it has to be as 'accurate' at sampling location as WW is.. And make sure the samples are as often (Standard Mode as opposed to Significant Change Mode). I don't want people to have to have WW also installed...

And yes, I agree with you that your tweak should be a free dependency of my paid iWidget.. When people want to download my iWidget.. they'll see 7 things in the install window

NewD Ultimate Location iWidget v1
    GoogleGPSLocation
    Lynx
    sed
    adv-cmds
    cURL
    Erica Utilities

But we need to get over this last hurdle of the update accuracy and speed.. I basically need your tweak to 'watching' the antenna like GoogleMaps turn by turn directions watches the antenna.. with that level of accuracy and meter by meter updating in the background until the '45 sec snapshot' is taken by your tweak. Hope that's clear..

And thanks for adding the line breaks!! Much appreciated!!

PS.. Are you sure it depends on cycript? I don't think I have that installed on my phone anymore..
    Last edited by NewD; 2015-04-02 at 12:50 AM.

First of all I do not have WW installed, but both, GPS & WUG and GoogleGPS, are working as intended on iPad and iPhone 5S, which I take with me when I am on the move.
    Your widget showing the same data despite updated xml files available is because your widget is using cached xml files. I had that with MYO5, which showed "old" update times, which were not the ones in mywug.xml. Even a respring did not solved it all the times.
    Only after I added
    Code:
    var myIdentifier=Math.round(Math.random()*10000);

var url = ("/var/mobile/Documents/mywug.xml?uniq="+myIdentifier); 
    	jQuery.get(url,function(data) {
    I always got the latest downloaded xml file data.
    Without this the widget/MYO5 will ask for the xml file which has been cached, but when it has a random number, which changes every time that is not in cache and will be newly loaded.

When I am on the move MYO5, which runs GPS & WUG, is set to update GPS every minute and weather every 5 minutes, it happens that I still have a location name from where I was 5 minutes ago. But thanks to the refresh feature (touch the update text), it fetches the latest wug xml info for the GPS location determined by activation of the LS - MYO5 runs the gps cycript code and assigns the GPS coordinates to global variables, which will be used by the refresh feature. Sometimes I can see a little jump in the suns position. LOL

Yes, both, GPS & WUG and GoogleGPS, require cycript. When you install cydgets, cycript will be installed as a dependency, but when you uninstall cydgets, cycript remains!
    If you don't have cycript installed both tweaks would not work.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 2015-04-02 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks

I don't fully understand what you said there. Are you saying there's code that I can add to my widget to get the "fresh files" as opposed to the cached ones?

I ran the whole ride home tonight and each time it updated it was showing me a town miles and miles away from my current location. And it gave me nowhere near as many new locations each 45 seconds as Widget weather in GPS mode did. There is something SDDev is hooking into that makes the Standard Mode (constant GPS tracking like turn-by-turn apps use) available to WW - and - your GPS tweak benefits from WW being installed too. When WW is removed from the equation your GPS tweak is not accurate to my current position at all.

New position data every 5 minutes maybe sufficient for your personal purposes, but it is NOT true GPS tracking that my beta clients have become used to with my widget. My widget is used to getting a position exact to my car's location on the road within a few feet of my car- every 20-45 secs when I'm running it with WW and live calls to Google and Yahoo. If I can't get that level of accuracy and updating then an alternative tweak to WW won't be of value to me and my clients. This was my problem with June's Cycript-based Epic Cydget that he claimed was auto updating (which it wasn't) and as accurate as WW (which it isn't).

WW has a hook into the GPS antenna that allows SDDev (Stephen) to sharpen the accuracy of its report to WidgetWeather.xml down to within 1 meter of your actual location. Your tweak is not providing that to me - yet. If you can help me find a way for your scripts to access the GPS antenna with the same accuracy in real time as GoogleMaps or AppleMaps turn by turn directions offers (which WW does currently) THEN we have a 'real' alternative to WW. Right now your tweak isn't providing that level of accuracy without WW installed. For SOME mysterious reason.. when WW is installed THEN your tweak also has that accuracy.. But requiring my clients to also have WW installed defeats the purpose of an alternate obviously..

So maybe we start simple.. How do I get accurate xml files, not cached data, every 20-45 seconds using JS in my widget?
    Last edited by NewD; 2015-04-02 at 04:41 AM.

What WW in gps mode does, as far as I understand, is to to actually "run" the Weather app in the background, so that GPS position and weather are constantly updated, hence the higher battery usage when in gps or constant mode.
    The cycript script just hooks into the weather.framework and gets the gps position. Obviously the more updated the GPS position is in weather.framework the more accurate the info the cycript script gets.
    The cycript script does NOT determine the gps position itself, it gets it from the weather.framework.
    That might explain why you get a more accurate reading when WW is running.
    However it seems to work fine for me as I am not running WW and the iPad has no Weather app, but still a weather.framework. It might be that the iPad uses WiFi as the means to determine GPS position, rather then satellite signal.

If I was you I would use WW as it seems to be more reliable and better known then my "tweaks", which are still in the very early stages of development. They work, but there is still plenty of room for improvement and I am a one-man-show that has his limits of coding knowledge.

Look at the code in my previous post. A variable (myIdentifier) is a random number, each time different. This random number gets attached to the xml request by adding "?uniq=myIdentifier" to the url request. So when this script runs it will ask for /var/mobile/Documents/mywug.xml123456789 (123456789 is the random number). Next time the code runs it asks for /var/mobile/Documents/mywug.xml987654321(987654321 is the new random number). The cache has a copy of /var/mobile/Documents/mywug.xml123456789 stored, but not /var/mobile/Documents/mywug.xml987654321, so mywug.xml will get loaded again from /var/mobile/Documents/ rather then pulled from cache.
    We all know that loading files from cache is faster then reloading the original source and this principle is being used by Apple in WebView. By adding the unique identifier (random number) to the xml file, you avoid getting served cached files.
    That's all there is.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 2015-04-02 at 09:07 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

NewD (2015-04-02)

Thanks

Ah. That's perfectly clear now.. And yes.. weather framework, that you (and June) are using to grab GPS is a much slower less pinpoint accurate use of the GPS Antenna. That's one of the reasons it took 4 months to release the first version of WW: Pinpoint accuracy and constant auto update were the "Holy Grail" King and Durben were holding up as their higher standard knowing the poor experience people were having with Native Weather-based widgets. Weather.framework (Native Weather) only takes a very loose snapshot of global position whether on Wifi or LTE and is, by design, not fully auto-updating (not requiring its own Location Services hook). The Weather.app itself (which generates weather.framework as I understand it) has its own Location Services hook but doesn't update unless you open the app. It's not a "constant tether" to the GPS Antenna.

I had a clue yesterday that your method of tapping GPS antenna might be different when I couldn't find and Location Services button for your tweak. Without having one of those running there's no second by second snapshots of the GPS Antenna possible. But for a weather data Cydget - that level of moment by moment pinpoint accuracy isn't really necessary.. For my widget, being about exact location, it is essential. It remains interesting to me that your tweak runs more accurate in the presence of WW. I guess, as you said, WW makes weather.framework update more often with greater accuracy.

And for the record, when in constant mode, WW only uses about 2% more battery per full day use.. So it's negligible. Battery savings wouldn't be a reason for you not to build in a hook to Location services with your "tweak". But we each have our own goals here.. so no worries. If nothing's ventured, nothing's gained.. We had to try.

Hey - I've learned a hell of a lot here, Ras. You're a brilliant guy! I appreciate all you've done in helping me explore alternatives!

Peace,
    Grant
    Last edited by NewD; 2015-04-02 at 01:42 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

rasputin007 (2015-04-02)

Thank you, Apple!

btw user is "root"!

I have a gps-watch.html page on my iPhone web server (http://127.0.0.1/gps-watch.html) or /var/www/gps-watch.html, which is just a navigator.geolocation.watchPosition javascript. This file has user "root".
    The screenshot is a test cydget, which only has a iframe with a source of http://127.0.0.1/gps-watch.html in it. Replacing the source with "/var/www/gps-watch.html" has the same result.
    Cydget also runs as "root".
    The "root" user has full system access, but yet the error message says "User denied Geolocation!". The gps-watch.html works perfectly fine in Safari.
    Here is a video of all this, where you can see that it works in Safari (bookmark on Home Screen), but not in the cydget, second cydget!

Last edited by rasputin007; 2015-04-05 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    Thank you, Apple!
    LOL
    Should be "Thank you, Saurik! "
    Cydgets do not run geolocation javascript in iOS7 & 8, they did way back in iOS6.
    Must have slipped my mind as that usually is the first thing I try when an updated cydget package comes out.
    Javascript is client side, meaning the browser/WebView is running it and not the server, whereas php would run server side. Best example is the GPS data link, which is geolocation javascript, same code for everybody, but different GPS coordinates for everyone as that javascript gets executed in everybody's browser.
    Really should have picked up on this before making a fuss, well, I am getting old.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

mike42 (2015-04-06), NewD (2015-04-06)

Thanks

So what specifically did you TRY to accomplish, that you were 'prevented' from doing by this realization? Break it down for us 'peons' out here.

I wanted to run the geolocation watchPosition (constant GPS monitoring) in an iframe on the cydget LS. Like the changing latitude and longitude you can see in Safari in the video.
    So, basically to have a cydget LS with an little iframe displaying the constantly changing latitude and longitude. If that would have worked it could also run in any html file, e.g widget etc, but unfortunately not possible.
    That's all, but forgot about cydget not running geolocation javascript (neither does widgets).
    Last edited by rasputin007; 2015-04-06 at 09:17 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (2015-04-07)

Thanks

I wanted to run the geolocation watchPosition (constant GPS monitoring) in an iframe on the cydget LS. Like the changing latitude and longitude you can see in Safari in the video.
    So, basically to have a cydget LS with an little iframe displaying the constantly changing latitude and longitude. If that would have worked it could also run in any html file, e.g widget etc, but unfortunately not possible.
    That's all, but forgot about cydget not running geolocation javascript (neither does widgets).
    Didn't you build a little LS widget about a year ago - that you had me test, actually, that did show constant GPS updating? I remember clearly that running on my phone and you saying it would only work on Lockscreens.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (2015-04-07)

This is really great stuff guys!

I have always loved the way Ras thinks and works his magic. Truly a man in cusp of greatness!

But, yes there is a but, I am always amazed that there are those that just feel the need to offer an "alternate" to WW. I could see if I charged $10 for it, but it's free guys! It is fairly light on resources for what you get too! If there are additional features that you would like to see, just ask. I've been pretty good about adding in most if not almost all reasonable requests.

So many hours spent trying to make a WW alternative could be much better spent by joining my beta team and helping create an even better tweak. We just seem to want to one up each other. Now please don't take that the wrong way, frankly I'm flattered that there have been at least 2 real attempts to outdo WW. What's that old saying something about being copied is the highest form of flattery?

But in the end, I do get confused about why the need to have an alternate to something that not only works, but works quite well.

But hey, I'm just rambling here.

If you're interested in joining the alpha team Ras, just let me know. Even though we approach things from different ways, it still appears we head towards a universal goal.

I'd love to have you bro!

Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

NewD (2015-04-07), rasputin007 (2015-04-07)

Brian, it never was my intention to create an competing WW alternative, as WW does a thorough job and does it well, it is reliable and, as most thing, has the odd quirk (often not even WW fault).
    I think WW is a great tool for everybody!
    Again there is a but, but this is purely on a personal note, I don't like the weather service WW is using. This is not determined by WW as it is the choice of Apple which weather service they use. The problem I have with weather.com is that [extreme example] when I live in Tampa (Florida) it shows Miami as the location as this is the biggest settlement around[/extreme example]. This might be only affecting me in rural England, but it is annoying to look at the LS and being placed somewhere different. That was the reason why I looked for a different method to use the weather service that worked best for me and that weather service is WeatherUnderground.
    I never wanted to build a WW replacement (why replace something that works great for the majority?), only for my own use.
    Well, I publish something that is working, purely with the idea that somebody is interested in the concept or the angle i am coming from. I don't expect that it will be on every device and I am properly the only one using it. LOL
    Last edited by rasputin007; 2015-04-07 at 09:29 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

mike42 (2015-04-07)

Brian, it never was my intention to create an competing WW alternative, as WW does a thorough job and does it well, it is reliable and, as most thing, has the odd quirk (often not even WW fault).
    I think WW is a great tool for everybody!
    Again there is a but, but this is purely on a personal note, I don't like the weather service WW is using. This is not determined by WW as it is the choice of Apple which weather service they use. The problem I have with weather.com is that [extreme example] when I live in Tampa (Florida) it shows Miami as the location as this is the biggest settlement around[/extreme example]. This might be only affecting me in rural England, but it is annoying to look at the LS and being placed somewhere different. That was the reason why I looked for a different method to use the weather service that worked best for me and that weather service is WeatherUnderground.
    I never wanted to build a WW replacement (why replace something that works great for the majority?), only for my own use.
    Well, I publish something that is working, purely with the idea that somebody is interested in the concept or the angle i am coming from. I don't expect that it will be on every device and I am properly the only one using it. LOL
    Ha bro! Do you mind showing what your talking about screen shot?

Thanks

The problem I have with weather.com is that [extreme example] when I live in Tampa (Florida) it shows Miami as the location as this is the biggest settlement around[/extreme example]. This might be only affecting me in rural England, but it is annoying to look at the LS and being placed somewhere different.
    Weather.com really has no location data that WW taps into.. WW2 still uses Yahoo for location data.. But it's their newer yahoo place finder feed as opposed to the simple yahoo feed used in WW1. Have you actually checked your exact coordinates with yahoo place finder feed? Is it still off by several miles? I've found it to be amazingly accurate.. As accurate as Google - at least in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
    Weather.com really has no location data that WW taps into.. WW2 still uses Yahoo for location data.. But it's their newer yahoo place finder feed as opposed to the simple yahoo feed used in WW1. Have you actually checked your exact coordinates with yahoo place finder feed? Is it still off by several miles? I've found it to be amazingly accurate.. As accurate as Google - at least in the states.
    Yes!
    It shows the right post code (UK version of US zipcode), the correct street name, almost the correct house number (that's fine, even Google can't get it right) and the village name is the one of the biggest town around (6 miles away), not even, as Yahoo Weather did before, the next village name (2 miles away).

Thanks

Yes!
    It shows the right post code (UK version of US zipcode), the correct street name, almost the correct house number (that's fine, even Google can't get it right) and the village name is the one of the biggest town around (6 miles away), not even, as Yahoo Weather did before, the next village name (2 miles away).
    Interesting.. But weatherunderground nails the village name? That's interesting.. In the states in my testing - wunderground was often 'less' accurate than YahooPlaceFinder and Google. I wonder if WeatherUnderground is based out of England?

I don't know if you know it - but Google and Yahoo are regularly updating their databases and an article I read stated that the major percentage of data they get is updates from people writing into them telling them of their errors. .. Maybe you can write to Google and Yahoo and tell them the correct village name.. ..

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast