Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Epic Cydget (Full GPS with no extra tweaks needed)

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    "CYCRIPT" is the future of widget design.. I fully concur, RAS... but NOT Cydget.. Cydget's load time is poor and moving from widget to widget is clunky. Its way of dealing with notifications is rudimentary and not the least bit innovational. Very shoddy work by Saurik. Saurik is a technician - not an artist in the way he approaches tweak making. That's unfortunate. People don't use Cydget because, well, it's not easy to use nor elegant in look. BUT - CYCRIPT or ANY Obj.C -- Javascript bridge ARE the future... GroovyAPI (original) is a competing product to Cycript.
    What could make the notifications not rudimentary and more innovative? I think it handles them well. Blur the background show a notification. IMO there should be no artistry in Cydget it produces a platform to hold a webpage with a very powerful system bridge.

GroovyAPI will never be a competing product to Cycript. Sorry, but just isn't going to happen. I think you say this as you are not clear on what Cycipt does and are just comparing things that GroovyAPI can do to Cycript.

I would have to say you're wrong that people don't use Cydgets. I say this by experience.

May the better dev win the heart of the people..
    I have nothing against Jake, he is a good person. Good dev is a bit different. Saurik has updated almost everything to iOS8 where Jake still hasn't updated GroovyLock, NexGen, SetBack, or SBHTML. I think that is actually all his tweaks. It seems he just doesn't have time anymore. If you were comparing better devs between GC and Saurik, well it's quite obvious for a unbiased person. IMO
    Last edited by June'sIphone; 2015-01-05 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,481 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GUNNY29 View Post
    Could you share your wallpaper please?
    Sure, here you go https://www.dropbox.com/s/wp1ftumm96...0Wall.zip?dl=0

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jawonder For This Useful Post:

co.ag.2005 (2015-01-08), GUNNY29 (2015-01-05), June'sIphone (2015-01-05)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,464 Times in 7,696 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by June'sIphone View Post
    GroovyAPI will never be a competing product to Cycript. Sorry, but just isn't going to happen. I think you say this as you are not clear on what Cycipt does and are just comparing things that GroovyAPI can do to Cycript.
    Yes, June.. I made a 1:1 comparison there that isn't quite 1:1. I DO very much understand the difference (now - that I'm more educated).. Cycript provides a way for Obj.C commands to be used in JS... THAT ASPECT of it's design groovyAPI does also as I've seen the same type of OBJ.C syntax you use in EpicCydget also work in JS for GroovyLock Lockscreens. So Cydget + Cycript allows this ObjC-->JS bridging and GroovyLock + groovyAPI allows the same bridging - even if Jake only has implemented the capabilites of the bridge to a lesser extent. I agree that it may not really be 'competing' until groovyAPI provides all the same functionality as Cycript. But don't think for a moment - that what Jay created in Cycript isn't also developable, improvable, and discoverable by another dev.. Just like you figured out the weather.framework hook.
    I have nothing against Jake, he is a good person. Good dev is a bit different. Saurik has updated almost everything to iOS8 where Jake still hasn't updated GroovyLock, NexGen, SetBack, or SBHTML. I think that is actually all his tweaks. It seems he just doesn't have time anymore. If you were comparing better devs between GC and Saurik, well it's quite obvious for a non biased person. IMO
    Yeah. But that's only a time thing that you accurately point out. Saurik lives off of Cydia - Jake has to make a real living. It's a loss to have him less available to be sure.. He was simply making better products that Saurik. And to claim 'unbiased' on your part or others -- is a laugh, June... LOL!!.. Everyone's biased.. We 'become' biased based on our personal experiences using products. Saurik IS a genius - but he's no longer the only game in town. He likes to still 'hold onto' that ground.. But his 'hold' is slipping as his methods are holding onto old paradigms. Let's hope, for the community's sake, he can bring himself into 2015 and keep up. And let's also hope he's open to 'input' on 'aesthetics' and functionality of his tweaks - which he pretty much isn't. He's been open to some of your 'coding' input ideas. Good for him. But he's rejected other input you've given him. But he's still your 'dawg' - I get that..

I've said all I wanted to add to the conversation, June. Thanks for letting it be open source so we can all learn. Much appreciated! I'm sure I will learn more studying it.

Saurik lives off of Cydia - Jake has to make a real living.
    So you consider what Saurik does not a real way of making a living?

And to claim 'unbiased' on your part or others -- is a laugh, June... LOL!!..
    I never said I was unbiased at all. I said from an non biased person. *which to be grammatically correct should have been an unbiased person.

If you gave someone GC and Sauriks resume and told them to choose a better dev. That is what I meant.

He's been open to some of your 'coding' input ideas. Good for him. But he's rejected other input you've given him. But he's still your 'dawg' - I get that..
    Just because someone listens to ideas or don't will not classify them as my 'dawg' or not. He is one of the reasons you are still on this jailbreak blog talking about your perspective. His store produces income for the website to still run. He is the one you download all your stuff for your phone to tweak to you turn red in the face. He makes a living off Cydia, a totally legit living. He also opens the doors for others to do the same. He supports all of this and imo deserves the utmost respect. That's my opinion.
    Last edited by June'sIphone; 2015-01-05 at 07:45 PM.

All of what you say about Saurik you say it over and over again. Why not go to his playground and talk to him? Reddit is wide open and is what he reads and reply too. Would be like me not liking what GC does and instead of voicing my concern on his thread I go to reddit and continually talk about what he is doing wrong. Doesn't make sense and gets no one anywhere.

You say things like "Let's hope, for the community's sake, he can bring himself into 2015 and keep up." Sounds like the community is at risk for something. Which if you really "hoped" he would change some things bring it to his attention. Phrases like "bring himself into 2015" won't do it though. That is subjective on what 2015 is about and only you know what you mean. You seem to use these phrases a lot "But his 'hold' is slipping as his methods are holding onto old paradigms" never pinpointing anything just a very broad statement. Maybe that is why you bring these things up while i'm here instead of him.

Most every Cydget thread I have seen you say the same things about Cydget, but I am not the creator of Cydget. Nor do I have the same wants from Cydget you do. You don't like Cydget but you are on a Cydget thread? We can continue to discuss this and is fine, almost this entire thread is a good discussion. (well most anyway) Bring it to his attention instead of mine, just as you bring things to GC's attention about GroovyLock.
    Last edited by June'sIphone; 2015-01-05 at 08:05 PM.

Donation sent

8. The Following User Says Thank You to will822 For This Useful Post:

June'sIphone (2015-01-05)

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    OK, while we are at it, I can give my 2 cents worth as well.
    I don't agree with some of June's commercial aspects and his paying-customer support, which is just my personal opinion.
    However June is a very clever coder, going to extreme length to solve problem and not scared to walk new path and for that he has my full respect. Years ago Durben complained about lacking innovation at MMi. Well, you can not get a better example of innovation then June's work.
    MMi's dislike of cydgets being slow and clunky I can tolerate, but not accept. I still believe it is THE LS platform as it offers a huge potential, now and in future.
    When I read in the other LS tweaks thread that "I can live with the odd random respring", I can not believe what I just read. I would never ever tolerate a random respring on my phone, simply the thought that I would get one while answering a call from a customer is a thing of the impossible.
    Nothing is perfect, we all know that, but if I had to choose of an apparently clunky and slow, but stable LS platform and a rather buggy potentially phone crashing LS platform, I always will go for the stable one.
    I never had any respings (apart from the ones I caused myself) with the cydgets I use.
    Also when I read that other people when using cydgets have resprings on their phones then I ask myself why does this happen to them but not me and almost each time I come to the conclusion that if you have every LS platform that is available installed and each of them tries in their own way to influence just one thing, the LS, wouldn't that make the whole LS even more unstable?
    Something along the line of "too many cooks spoil the broth".
    Yes, I spend money on Epic Cydget, but not because I want to run it on my LS, as it uses the iOS stock Weather App, just as WidgetWeather does and weather.com is even worse then Yahoo, which was already crap. But this might be because I am outside the US (where apparently weather.com works brilliantly).
    On a final note, June is a coding gem for MMi. Keep on treating him with bickering and MMi will be left with people that can replace png images and shift them around, change fonts and font color, but new innovative ways will become very very rare.
    Thanks for the kind words. If you have a chance check out FLEXible in Cydia. I think you may find it helpful, I sure did.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to June'sIphone For This Useful Post:

rasputin007 (2015-01-05)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Palmin For This Useful Post:

June'sIphone (2015-01-05)

Thanks

All of what you say about Saurik you say it over and over again. Why not go to his playground and talk to him? Reddit is wide open and is what he reads and reply too. Would be like me not liking what GC does and instead of voicing my concern on his thread I go to reddit and continually talk about what he is doing wrong. Doesn't make sense and gets no one anywhere.

You say things like "Let's hope, for the community's sake, he can bring himself into 2015 and keep up." Sounds like the community is at risk for something. Which if you really "hoped" he would change some things bring it to his attention. Phrases like "bring himself into 2015" won't do it though. That is subjective on what 2015 is about and only you know what you mean. You seem to use these phrases a lot "But his 'hold' is slipping as his methods are holding onto old paradigms" never pinpointing anything just a very broad statement. Maybe that is why you bring these things up while i'm here instead of him.

Most every Cydget thread I have seen you say the same things about Cydget, but I am not the creator of Cydget. Nor do I have the same wants from Cydget you do. You don't like Cydget but you are on a Cydget thread? We can continue to discuss this and is fine, almost this entire thread is a good discussion. (well most anyway) Bring it to his attention instead of mine, just as you bring things to GC's attention about GroovyLock.
    I have watched thread after thread over at Reddit, June. I don't need to post an idea, to know it will get rejected and that Jay is pompous and self-important. I wrote him off a long time ago as anyone that could be reasonably talked with. Not gonna waste my breath. He has the same dismissive condescending attitude as often you do.. Though in the last 6 months that's lessened. Even your tone in this exchange is admirable and I appreciate it.

You misread my comment about 'a living'. What I meant to have you hear, and thought I wrote clearly, was that Saurik ALREADY HAS A LIVING he's making from Cydia - so obviously he can spend his full day working on more coding projects... His income, is what's referred to as 'passive' now - him being an entrepreneur and the owner of his own company. JAKE, however, as a young man, just starting out, has to work 40+ hours a week for a boss.. and obviously wouldn't have anywhere near the time to devote to NON-PAID projects as a business owner like Jay is. Of course his work is a 'real' job.. I probably shouldn't have used that term.. I think my explanation there clears that up. Agreed? Jake (GroovyCarrot) and Matt (Matchstic) and Matt (Bushe) give what time they can - but it's not their 'main 40/hr a week job' so obviously Saurik (Jay Freeman) would have more time to spend on new projects.

The only reason Saurik is a 'leading dev'.. is that he built a company that now frees him up for newer stuff. Of course Jake can't 'be on top' for that main reason. But other devs like the guy who created theme.lib (and Jake and Matt and you) are equal to the intellectual task of doing even more and better things in the future because you read more and you you're open to new solutions.. like our friend Rasputin007.. who's always 'trail-blazed'..

Let me tell you a secret about getting a little older (like Saurik and me)... You tend to rest of your 'old laurels' - your old accomplishments.. In the same way I don't give a RIP about learning Snap Chat and Instagram and whatever the he!! new thing is out there.. Jay is 'resting on older paradigms'. I just hope, BECAUSE he's in the role of influencer that he is, that he stays on top of the newest paradigms in coding and newest trends in Apple and can keep us current. It's taking him longer and longer to update WB after each new release.. I'm not a Saurik hater... I'm just a person that doesn't see his personally developed products outside of WB meeting the needs of the community anymore. Cydget is the proof. It's pretty much exactly the same through 3 firmware updates now.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,817 Times in 2,987 Posts

@June. So, even when I scale it to fit, the wallpaper still turns out like I mentioned. Will all wallpapers have to be sized exactly correct for it to work with your Cydget?

I apologize if this seems obvious but I have never seen this happen as all wallpapers get scaled to fit the screen regardless if it's the exact size or not. Most of my wallpapers are but a few aren't but they look fine blown up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    @June. So, even when I scale it to fit, the wallpaper still turns out like I mentioned. Will all wallpapers have to be sized exactly correct for it to work with your Cydget?

I apologize if this seems obvious but I have never seen this happen as all wallpapers get scaled to fit the screen regardless if it's the exact size or not. Most of my wallpapers are but a few aren't but they look fine blown up a bit.
    I think you are misunderstanding. You are not fitting the wallpaper to this Cydget. You are fitting the wall to the lock screen. Did you try what I advised? This is to turn cydget off and see how the wall looks.

I fully concur. I am impressed by June's methods and code style and always have been. I've learned a couple of very important techniques in my own coding from him.

Not quite correct, Ras. It was actually ME that made that statement about innovation and Durben was VERY offended by it. As he should have been. I was at a place where I kept seeing all the same AESTHETICS (Krima's point) and ONLY widgets that contained weather - I wanted more AND I wanted to challenge the status quo. And it upset a lot of people. I withdrew my statement back then as it wasn't well put by me at all. Nothing back then was.. LOL..
    "CYCRIPT" is the future of widget design.. I fully concur, RAS... but NOT Cydget.. Cydget's load time is poor and moving from widget to widget is clunky. Its way of dealing with notifications is rudimentary and not the least bit innovational. Shoddy work by Saurik in my opinion. Saurik is a technician - not an artist in the way he approaches tweak making. That's unfortunate. People don't use Cydget because, well, it's not easy to use nor elegant in look.

BUT - CYCRIPT or ANY "Obj.C --> Javascript" bridge ARE the future... GroovyAPI is a competing product to Cycript. May the better dev's product win the heart of the people in the end..
    I agree with you about stability. I'm the same way.. MUST have ZERO resprings. But UIWebView is broken in iOS8. And being abandoned by APPLE.. They never intended us to run animation in it to the level of a tweak like UniAW7 which is NOT a 'small' group of people who love it. Cydget still uses UIWebView.. and if you had an iPhone 6+ right now - you wouldn't be saying Cydgets is giving you ZERO resprings. Because it wouldn't respring-city if you ran even the slightest animations - EVEN WITH NO other LS players installed. Many tests have already been done to prove my statement there.. And the moment you add even a little animation or WebKit css animation - you WILL get resprings EVEN in Cydget with no other LS players installed.

Saurik knows that WKWebView is the future and only made his comments about 'not ready for primetime' because Jay Freeman doesn't like to be the '2nd guy to the show'.. He'll always put something down, to his following on Reddit, so that when HE invents something then that uses WKWebView in iOS9 - 'he' can look like the 'savior' of the LS widget platform. It's intellectually dishonest what he said on Reddit.. as 6+ users that are using GroovyLock+ with GroovyAPI+ right now with FULL ANIMATION are experiencing NO resprings of any kind (and no security bugs - so LAME that Saurik implied that about WK). Cydget can't make the claim of full stability on 6 or 6+ running animation because it still uses UIWebView. Even June himself admitted that if a lot of animation were introduced to his EpicCydget it could become unstable. Good for him admitting the limitations of Cydget. You should too, bro.

Yes - thanks for making that caveat.. OUTSIDE of US - yahoo and weather.com may be crap.. But IN US - weather.com is WAAAAY more accurate than Yahoo ever was. You and I have always agreed that Yahoo is CRAP! .. And I love WeatherUnderground as you turned me onto a long time ago.. But their their location output is too limited. Google is my choice there... as also I learned from you. Though the YahooLocation api WW uses is really quite good. As good as Google now. They must have done a lot of upgrading.

Again - we agree.
    Sorry if I got that wrong. It only stuck in my mind that Durben was the most outspoken at that time.

You could say cydget and cycript are what groovylock and groovyapi are, but that would not be quite right. Each of these two work well together, but cydget and cycript are a bit more independent, meaning you can use cydget without cycript. Not sure if that is the case for groovylock and groovyapi.
    Another favourite dislike of cydget is that it has to load completely new each time. I actually like that. When I unlock I do not need the LS anymore and be more than happy to have freed up resources for other tasks, rather then having the lockscreen theme running in the background and hogging resources of which the iPhone is not hugly blessed anyway.

As with most thing that are being made by other people you have to rely on the fact that you can voice your opinion, but ultimately it is the creator who decides what goes in and what not.
    Ideally the only way to get what YOU want is to make it yourself, which is in most cases way off our capability. I mean who would love to make their own JB when a new iOS version comes out, rather then having to wait for somebody else to release one.

I don't have a 6+ or even a 6, so can not comment on that as I do not have any personal experience with those. UIWebView has turned into a resource waster in iOS 8 as it has been mentioned in many online articles/tests. WKWebView manages those resources in a much more efficient way, however if Saurik says that it is not mature enough to be used by cydget then he will have his reasons, why he does not switch it. I don't think this is down to his ego-trip, I think more that he does not want to have to deal with the complains when cydget becomes buggy when using a new, maybe rough at the edges - as new systems tend to do-, WKWebView. I don't know and only can guess.

Knowing your past obsession with location correctness, I can tell you that you would have ditched WW as soon as iOS 8 came out when you were living where I am.
    I live in village A, 2 miles away is village B and 6 miles away is town C. Yahoo placed me in village B, weather.com/iOS Weather App placed me in town C, but WeatherUnderground puts me in village A, where I live, just as Google Maps does.
    I even entered village B in the Weather App, but it could not find any results which is funny because there is a weather station in village B, that's why Yahoo knew village B.
    That is weather.com outside the US, very much different to what you experience inside the US.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 2015-01-05 at 09:29 PM.
    Nothing is impossible only miracles take a bit longer!

Thanks

I think you are misunderstanding. You are not fitting the wallpaper to this Cydget. You are fitting the wall to the lock screen. Did you try what I advised? This is to turn cydget off and see how the wall looks.
    Yes I tried that. Turns out it was a tweak overriding it. I guess I never noticed because Convergance seems to ignore this tweak. So now everything is good, thanks.

Appreciate the time and discussion. Went much more smoothly than before. Respect.

Are talking about wallpapers from the iOS Setting menu or did you added a wallpaper into the background.html?
    I am using an old 640x960 wallpaper (well all 256 of them from my 4S) now on the 5S and I do not have any "gaps" around them. They fit perfectly, I mean they cover the whole screen.
    Try to add your wallpaper into the background.html, which is empty. One of the advantages of cydgets that you can have 2 html pages, a background one without touch events and a foreground one for touch events, which is rather nice as you do not see the iOS-Setting wallpaper when you use the slide to unlock method.

EDIT:
    Damm, too slow again.
    Nothing is impossible only miracles take a bit longer!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

Krima (2015-01-05)

I have watched thread after thread over at Reddit, June. I don't need to post an idea, to know it will get rejected and that Jay is pompous and self-important.
    Then why post them here? Because you have somewhat a voice or there is someone to listen? In all reality, it does no one any good what you have brought to this thread. I would so much rather talk about how to better our Cydgets (or better yet this Cydget) as it is now, then to talk about what the creator did or not do.

You clearly are on a Cydget thread (and most everyone I post) talking about what you dislike about Cydget and the creator of Cydget. While attempting to say something else is better with remarks that have no validity. You would figure in your old age (like you and Saurik) this is not what you would spend your time doing.
    Last edited by June'sIphone; 2015-01-05 at 09:59 PM.

Are talking about wallpapers from the iOS Setting menu or did you added a wallpaper into the background.html?
    I am using an old 640x960 wallpaper (well all 256 of them from my 4S) now on the 5S and I do not have any "gaps" around them. They fit perfectly, I mean they cover the whole screen.
    Try to add your wallpaper into the background.html, which is empty. One of the advantages of cydgets that you can have 2 html pages, a background one without touch events and a foreground one for touch events, which is rather nice as you do not see the iOS-Setting wallpaper when you use the slide to unlock method.

EDIT:
    Damm, too slow again.
    I no longer add wallpapers to the html. This Cydget has a transparent background. It will still be transparent when I add weather walls. You can change the settings set wallpaper by.

Code:
    setWeatherWall = function(url){
    img=[UIImage imageWithContentsOfFile:@""+url];
    wViewController = [[[PLStaticWallpaperImageViewController alloc] initWithUIImage:img] autorelease];
    wViewController->_wallpaperMode=2;
    wViewController.saveWallpaperData = YES;
    [wViewController _savePhoto];
    }
    It so much smoother imo. If you have a Cydget with a lot of code (LB for example) You will always see the stock wallpaper flash before the Cydget wallpaper shows. I guess this is due to the loading of all files. Setting the settings wallpaper removes this flash.

You can also blur this wallpaper with iOS methods instead of something resource intensive as -webkit-transform:blur();

Code:
    [[[[SBLockScreenManager sharedInstance]lockScreenViewController]lockScreenView]_showFakeWallpaperBlurWithAlpha:1 withFactory:null];
    Last edited by June'sIphone; 2015-01-05 at 10:13 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to June'sIphone For This Useful Post:

NewD (2015-01-05), rasputin007 (2015-01-06)

Yes I tried that. Turns out it was a tweak overriding it. I guess I never noticed because Convergance seems to ignore this tweak. So now everything is good, thanks.

Appreciate the time and discussion. Went much more smoothly than before. Respect.
    What tweak? Would be nice to know if this comes up again.

Thanks

Sorry if I got that wrong. It only stuck in my mind that Durben was the most outspoken at that time.

You could say cydget and cycript are ......
    Ras.. I have several questions.. But can we not clog June's thread here... with minutia about location.. I'll answer you a little later tonight in my thread I started for iOS8 respringing complications.. Can you check there later for my response? Thanks..

Thanks

Then why post them (Cydget improvement ideas) here?
    Because you were trying to speak of the 'superiority' of Cydget as a platform AS IS and told me to ask Jay about them. That would prove fruitless as it has for anyone who's posted a suggestion to him. I was just reminding you of what you should already know from the Reddit environment.. but enough of that... Don't want this to devolve..
    ......would so much rather talk about how to better our Cydgets (or better yet this Cydget) as it is now, then to talk about what the creator did or not do.

You clearly are on a Cydget thread (and most everyone I post) talking about what you dislike about Cydget and the creator of Cydget. While attempting to say something else is better with remarks that have no validity. You would figure in your old age (like you and Saurik) this is not what you would spend your time doing.
    Fair enough, June. I'm out.. But I'm not 'old'.. just 'older' than you... LOL..

Peace..

Thanks

Default Epic Cydget (Full GPS with no extra tweaks needed)
    What tweak? Would be nice to know if this comes up again.
    It was Flex 2 causing the issue. It's not the tweak itself it was some of the values I changed in the springboard that was overriding the OS. When I removed that patch, all was well.
    Last edited by Krima; 2015-01-05 at 10:57 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

NewD (2015-01-05)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast