Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: new theme direction?

iPhone? More like MyPhone kevin.e.white's Avatar
    Thanks

Default new theme direction?
    ( i know this probably shouldnt be on this forum , but i wanted this to reach the right people)

Came across this little gem. WordPress plugin: WP-Cumulus Flash based tag cloud | Roy Tanck's weblog
    Wouldnt that be a cool new theming direction , to me it seems impossible but to others, the best of the best out there maybe quite straight forward.
    Anyway , what do you think?
    Good
    Or
    Bad

Thanks

oh, i thought id get atleast a few feedbacks.

thats impossible...

you dnt need to be the best of the best to see that..

maybe in the future, but the really far future...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mr.sunshine For This Useful Post:

kevin.e.white (2010-08-22)

Quote Originally Posted by mr.sunshine View Post
    thats impossible...

you dnt need to be the best of the best to see that..

maybe in the future, but the really far future...
    I do not quite agree with this.
    I think it can be possible and in the near future.
    But the emphesis would be on css, javascript, html5 and webkit, rather then graphics.

Cool, but themes like that is pretty impossible.

Thanks

i happened to download the dominos pizza app, and they have a really cool interface, i tried to look for the files inside the app with ifuntastic but not quite sure what look for .
    you can smothly scroll the icons and flip the top options down too, check my screenshots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2010_08_26_20-52-13_00.png   -2010_08_26_20-53-00_00.png  

You need to have a very, very good knowledge of web-creation especially for Safari, then you are a few steps closer.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    You need to have a very, very good knowledge of web-creation especially for Safari, then you are a few steps closer.
    what? Web creation? And somehow it's hard on safari?

Safari is a web browser, it's not a dev tool...

Quote Originally Posted by mr.sunshine View Post
    what? Web creation? And somehow it's hard on safari?

Safari is a web browser, it's not a dev tool...
    That is correct!
    But web creation is opened by web browsers. It is no new news if I say that web browser is not equal web browser, there are differences how each web browser deals with the code it is faced with.
    Let's just take THIS PAGE as an example, open this with IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari. IE7 is just black page, Firefox shows a picture of a cinema inside with an empty screen, that's it. Safari and Chrome show the same cinema room, but autoplay a video on the screen.
    Right?
    The code of that page is in all cases the same, based on html5, css and javascript, but each browser deals different with it.
    But I have written the code in such a way that it especially targets Safari browser, which is the browser you have on the iPhone. Safari and OS/iOS use the same "tools". The above page is actually the lockscreen of an iPhone theme and I only put up that page to show what I intended to do. However Apple placed a restriction in iOS which does not allow "autoplay" function -due to stopping big bills when autoplaying files that sit on remote servers and would eat up peoples data plan, hope you get the idea why Apple did this. Because of this missing "autoplay" function and the fact that when you start the video manually on the lockscreen Quicktime opens and plays that video in full screen, I have classified this theme as experimental.

Creating themes in not only to take a nice picture and slap some javascript code on it to display weather detail on the lockscreen. Far from it, you can use it as a web page and use everything that Safari can understand. You should have a good long look at Apple's Safari Dev Center, all their demos work on the iPhone, except one - too new html5 standard, not inplemented in iOS Safari yet, but in Safari 5.
    If you still need some more prove and something you can see then search the MMi repo for "Nice" and "Earth-Tap", its all in the code.

That is correct!
    But web creation is opened by web browsers. It is no new news if I say that web browser is not equal web browser, there are differences how each web browser deals with the code it is faced with.
    Let's just take THIS PAGE as an example, open this with IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari. IE7 is just black page, Firefox shows a picture of a cinema inside with an empty screen, that's it. Safari and Chrome show the same cinema room, but autoplay a video on the screen.
    Right?
    The code of that page is in all cases the same, based on html5, css and javascript
    IE doesn't support html5 which is why it shows nothing. Google Chrome firefox and safary all show th esame thing cause they have html5 support.

hint: <video src="RHPS_LS.mp4"></video>

that's not html code its html5. Btw html5 actually simplifed a lot of stuff making it quite easier than regular html

But I have written the code in such a way that it especially targets Safari browser, which is the browser you have on the iPhone. Safari and OS/iOS use the same "tools". The above page is actually the lockscreen of an iPhone theme and I only put up that page to show what I intended to do. However Apple placed a restriction in iOS which does not allow "autoplay" function -due to stopping big bills when autoplaying files that sit on remote servers and would eat up peoples data plan, hope you get the idea why Apple did this. Because of this missing "autoplay" function and the fact that when you start the video manually on the lockscreen Quicktime opens and plays that video in full screen, I have classified this theme as experimental.
    how is this specifically developed for Safari? Serious question.
    its like me making web pages in plain html and saying they're specifically developed for internet explorer...
    Creating themes in not only to take a nice picture and slap some javascript code on it to display weather detail on the lockscreen. Far from it, you can use it as a web page and use everything that Safari can understand. You should have a good long look at Apple's Safari Dev Center, all their demos work on the iPhone, except one - too new html5 standard, not inplemented in iOS Safari yet, but in Safari 5.
    Im a theme creator also, and i dont know where you're going with this, this is common knowledge amongst the theming community. html5 is supported by every browser except IE, when you code in html5 you're not "specifically developing for Safari" at all.

but more on topic the original posters idea is impossible simply for the fact that html5, html or javascript is incapable of doing what he ask, what you see on the page that was linked in the original post is a interactive flash file, wich simply cant be duplicated in html5 right now or in the near future.
    Last edited by mr.sunshine; 2010-08-28 at 04:47 AM.

If you create a theme for the iPhone, you use code that can be understood by Safari, you don't care if IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera or any other browser goes "belly up" with that code. That's what I meant by "coding specifically for Safari". For example, the use of webkit tools is something that only Safari understands, which is fine on OS/iOS. So by using webkit tools in your theme you specifically code for Safari.
    This might be a strange point of view, but that's how I see it.
    Apple has a demo called Poster Circle, which comes quite close to the that interactive flash, apart from that Poster Circle is not interactive, but I am sure that can be coded, for which you would need a very good knowledge of coding, which brings me back to my comment in post7.

If you create a theme for the iPhone, you use code that can be understood by Safari, you don't care if IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera or any other browser goes "belly up" with that code.
    Fact is, html and html5 is understood by all browsers, you're not coding specifically for safari. You "can't" code specifically for safari, html5 is understood the same way for every browser.
    thats hwy its considered a standard.
    That's what I meant by "coding specifically for Safari". For example, the use of webkit tools is something that only Safari understands, which is fine on OS/iOS. So by using webkit tools in your theme you specifically code for Safari.
    I really don't understand how you code for a layout engine.
    Not only that webkit has many developers such as Apple, KDE, Nokia, Google, RIM, Palm, and many others. It's open source and almost every phone with mobile internet uses it.

Safari on your iphone is based on the webkit browser engine.
    Just like Gecko is the browser engine for firefox
    or Presto is the browser engine for Opera..
    Poster Circle is not interactive, but I am sure that can be coded, for which you would need a very good knowledge of coding
    sigh, thats the whole debate about html5 vs flash, html5 as of now doesn't allow the same user interaction as flash.