Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 503

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: [LEAKING] To those who find it acceptable...

  1. #421
    iPhone? More like MyPhone candymanmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MiddleOfNowhere, Wa. a.k.a. the 360
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 88 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by TCcentex View Post
    Mike, I'm VERY sorry to hear about your predicament - I can tell you that I do know EXACTLY how you feel and what you're going through. I'm an executive in the mortgage industry if that gives you any insight...

    I see where you're coming from, but I disagree... Me and all the other theme creators I know are always more than willing to share our work with those who ask - I have never said no to anyone requesting my themes because they didn't have a paypal account, or for any other reason for that matter. My issue is people that disagree with me selling a theme to the point that they take it upon themselves to pirate my theme and give it away for free. I don't think selling vs giving themes away is jeapordizing the "spirit" of the jailbreak community. The spirit of the community in my opinion is people helping other people and sharing in this hobby of customizing our phones. My point, especially with GeoHot's quote is that there is a small minority in this community who just take and take, never giving anything back to the community or helping in any way. These are the same people that probably continued bugging GeoHot to release his jailbreak like they were entitled to it, just like they feel entitled to obtain my hard work for free with nothing in return - wether it be money or even a simple thanks. At some point we are all, just like GeoHot, going to get sick and tired of it.

    Good luck in your search for work my friend - although we have a difference of opinion we can agree to disagree... But I will definitely keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers that you get back on your feet real soon.
    i appreciate your kind words. and i can also see your point of view. and i can honestly say, i have never shared someone elses work with anyone. anything i have gotten from "shady" places, i have kept to myself. and so everyone knows, i have not been one of those to just take and take. i have shared much with the modding community. mostly in the motorola world (because i have spent the most time there over the years) but i have also created blackberry themes and a couple of widgets for the iphone. we can definitely agree to disagree. and i don't mean to insult anyone who has a differing opinion than mine. i just want people to not look at those who have obtained pirated themes as the scum of the earth and realize that some of these people have valid points of view also. as i said a while back, i have paid for themes and apps and i have gotten them from "pirate" sites. i realize also that i may be different from the average person who has downloaded a pirated app or theme, in that i don't do it all of the time. another thing i tend to do, is modify things to my own liking. as much as i love some of the themes that have been released, everyone has different tastes, so there is almost always SOMETHING i would like different. so even when i am running a pirated theme, it's almost never the exact theme. i modify things about it, take elements from other themes, add my own widgets and so on. i realize this doesn't make it better to some people. but at least i'm working and creating myself. also, if i post a screeny somewhere i credit all themes that are used to create mine and give the authors credit, while NOT sharing my version. anyway, i never intended to create hostile feelings, just wanted to express that not everyone is of the same opinion and not everyone that downloads free versions from other places are bad people. thanks again for the kind words my friend. and know that if you are a theme creator and i have "borrowed" your theme from somewhere and decided i really liked it and are going to use it or some element of it, i WILL donate once i'm financially able to again. and i would hope that most people who download the pirated version have this kind of opinion too.

    p.s. i would have never thought to ask a theme creator for their theme for a couple of reasons. 1. i had no way of knowing they would do this. 2. i HATE asking for handouts! the only person i have asked for a theme was zausser (for his nine theme) and i only did so because he stated in the posting that if you didn't have a paypal or means to pay, please ask him for it. so i did. and he will get a donation as soon as i am back on my feet.
    Last edited by candymanmike; 2010-07-14 at 11:45 PM.
    Visit us on your sister site at www.ModMyMobile.com
    Follow me on Twitter @CandymanMike & on My Blog

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to candymanmike For This Useful Post:

    TCcentex (2010-07-15)

  3. #422
    Quote Originally Posted by Loronal View Post
    That would be unpacking the deb then repacking it with some costumization. Which I COULD do but thankfully Im not evil.
    could u try it for me to see if i have good security?

  4. #423
    Quote Originally Posted by TCcentex View Post
    Mike, I'm VERY sorry to hear about your predicament - I can tell you that I do know EXACTLY how you feel and what you're going through. I'm an executive in the mortgage industry if that gives you any insight...

    I see where you're coming from, but I disagree... Me and all the other theme creators I know are always more than willing to share our work with those who ask - I have never said no to anyone requesting my themes because they didn't have a paypal account, or for any other reason for that matter. My issue is people that disagree with me selling a theme to the point that they take it upon themselves to pirate my theme and give it away for free. I don't think selling vs giving themes away is jeapordizing the "spirit" of the jailbreak community. The spirit of the community in my opinion is people helping other people and sharing in this hobby of customizing our phones. My point, especially with GeoHot's quote is that there is a small minority in this community who just take and take, never giving anything back to the community or helping in any way. These are the same people that probably continued bugging GeoHot to release his jailbreak like they were entitled to it, just like they feel entitled to obtain my hard work for free with nothing in return - wether it be money or even a simple thanks. At some point we are all, just like GeoHot, going to get sick and tired of it.

    Good luck in your search for work my friend - although we have a difference of opinion we can agree to disagree... But I will definitely keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers that you get back on your feet real soon.




    Yes I completly agree!!! I own a construction business and let me tell you its SLOW!!! I too can understand not having money$$, but cracking things that people worked hard on is just wrong! I have had at least three people straight out write to me in my email and ask for a theme and I sent it to them right away! I would never say no!

    We all go through rough times and I do not judge so anybody reading this take my word for it just go ask the creator before stealing their work Iam shure 9 times out of 10 they will glady give it too you!

    But not directng this towards anybody....if you have the $$ for a ipod or iphone Iam shure you can afford 2$...stop bullshitten

  5. #424
    iPhone? More like MyPhone candymanmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MiddleOfNowhere, Wa. a.k.a. the 360
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 88 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeApple View Post

    But not directng this towards anybody....if you have the $$ for a ipod or iphone Iam shure you can afford 2$...stop bullshitten
    not necessarily true. i have an iphone 2g (the cheapest and oldest of the iphones) and i've owned it for a couple of years. i HAD money when i bought it, i don't know.
    Visit us on your sister site at www.ModMyMobile.com
    Follow me on Twitter @CandymanMike & on My Blog

  6. #425
    first and foremost, i do not condone thievery of someones hard work.

    with that said, what about people who do donate to themes only to watch them go nowhere for months on end, and never be released in any way shape or form?

    i'm sure this hurts the community just as much, but there's no post complaining about it...

  7. #426
    Livin the iPhone Life ALIEN1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    var/stash/Themes
    Posts
    2,833
    Thanks
    1,715
    Thanked 5,975 Times in 1,579 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by devadv View Post
    first and foremost, i do not condone thievery of someones hard work.

    with that said, what about people who do donate to themes only to watch them go nowhere for months on end, and never be released in any way shape or form?

    i'm sure this hurts the community just as much, but there's no post complaining about it...
    This guy have a point...
    Thats why I keep my themes free.Anyone that want to donate,its free to do so.Thay donate as a thanks for the theme,and I give special addons for the theme as a thanks for your donation.And everyone is happy.And I dont have the problem of someone leaking or pirating my theme,cus they are free.
    This metod is working great for me.People are happy with me,I'm happy with them.Besides,I dont really care about the money,but the donations help me keep doing this.At first,my local friends didnt agree that I post my themes for free,but now they tell me:'You were right,keep it that way'.
    Im not telling to themers that they have to make themes free,but what I do tell is that for me,my metod is working great.I cooperate with the comunity,the community cooperates with me.
    We,theme creators,have to understand the community,not make them understand us.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ALIEN1974 For This Useful Post:

    candymanmike (2010-07-22), dr33Rocks (2010-07-22), TCcentex (2010-07-23)

  9. #427
    @devadv i try to get to ppl who donate to me within the day..

  10. #428
    iPhone? More like MyPhone candymanmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MiddleOfNowhere, Wa. a.k.a. the 360
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 88 Times in 51 Posts

    i guess i just can't comprehend what theme creators NEED paid for to keep going. your time? because this goes back to what one of my original points was that so many theme creators seem to think isn't a valid point, but I DO. and that is, this is a HOBBY and i really don't know anyone who gets paid to do their hobby. hobbies usually take time and COST money, not result in others PAYING you money. if this was something you did as your JOB i could understand it a little more. but for 99.9% of people this is a HOBBY which is something that is generally not profitable and people don't pay your for your time to do. as i have said before (and been reamed for it) this is something you do because you enjoy it. thereby making it a HOBBY not a JOB. does that help people understand my point of view a little more?? if not, i guess it's a lost cause. but not to worry paid theme creators, i finally cracked under my pressure of brokeness and sold my iphone. and if you have happened to have donated a theme to me, don't worry, i didn't include any paid themes when i sold it.
    Visit us on your sister site at www.ModMyMobile.com
    Follow me on Twitter @CandymanMike & on My Blog

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to candymanmike For This Useful Post:

    dr33Rocks (2010-07-22), TCcentex (2010-07-23)

  12. #429

  13. #430
    Theme Kingpin TCcentex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,787
    Thanks
    1,859
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 882 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by PhanaticD View Post
    u get some money to buy some apps or soemthing
    Im guessing you've got no family or kids and have never had the current responsibilities and worries about tough times like Mike has and I have personally experienced. I'm sorry Mike - the adults here at MMi feel for you, and I'm very sorry you and your family are going through this tough time. I hope to see you back here someday.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to TCcentex For This Useful Post:

    candymanmike (2010-07-22)

  15. #431
    Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    .theme>Bundles
    Posts
    2,344
    Thanks
    588
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

    I completely agree with TC on this one. I think the reason MOST themers sell a theme is because it is after all nice to get a little bit of a reward from it. These themes eat away so much time that is almost scary. I'm sure there are themers who do this as a way to get some money. I don't need the money that I do recurve from this. I like the praise and thanks I get from it. I have only ever once not given out my themes to someone who ASKED, and it was because He had spent the days before insulting me horribly.
    Do I really need the money I get from themeing? No.
    Will I keep on selling themes for .99c?
    Yes
    pirates are around because they don't know how to just ask.

    Receive not recurve.
    Damn iPhone auto-correct
    Last edited by AnthonyGiola; 2010-07-22 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  16. #432
    iPhone? More like MyPhone candymanmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MiddleOfNowhere, Wa. a.k.a. the 360
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 88 Times in 51 Posts

    thanks TC i guess some people just don't understand/haven't experienced hard times. you have been great to me, my friend, and even if i don't get another iphone i will donate to you for your generosity and kindness. i am glad you and i were able to agree to disagree. to others who have been rude to me, not all of us who have iphones are loaded. some of us actually work hard for what little we have. i for one can't even afford to buy the latest and greatest new iphone when it gets released. not bashing those who can, just those that can't understand that some people actually may have a hard time from time to time. and i would like to clarify for those who still seem to think i don't believe in paying for a good product, i don't mind giving donations. and i do understand the work that goes into these themes. as i have stated before i have created plenty of things in the modding world that have taken many many hours of my time, so don't think i don't get that part. i guess FOR ME i looked at it as a hobby and something i enjoyed doing. seeing the list of THANKS at the bottom of my post was thanks enough for me. i guess that's where we differ. and that's ok. i never intended to berate anyone, just express that not all of us look at this in the same light. and not all of us are bad people who just "steal" themes for the sake of stealing them. some of us don't have EXTRA money and some of our younger members don't have paypal accounts. i would never even thought to ASK for a paid theme for free from the creator had it not been mentioned to me. and since it has, i have not gone anywhere else to look for a theme. zausser was kind enough to give me a theme when i explained my situation as was TC. i personally admitted to barsoverbeats that i had gotten one of his themes from a pirate site and appologized explaining that he would receive a donation once i employed again. i also gave props to him on a pirate site and encouraged the members to donate if the liked his theme and decided to keep it. he was kind to me for this and even gave me support as he did those who DID donate. AND i have NEVER passed along a paid theme.
    Last edited by candymanmike; 2010-07-22 at 09:34 PM. Reason: removed comments
    Visit us on your sister site at www.ModMyMobile.com
    Follow me on Twitter @CandymanMike & on My Blog

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to candymanmike For This Useful Post:

    TCcentex (2010-07-23)

  18. #433
    Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    .theme>Bundles
    Posts
    2,344
    Thanks
    588
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

    Mike I really hope your family gets into a pot of good luck as you seem to be a genuinely awesome guy
    I have had hard times in my life and I know what it feels like. Just keep on moving with it and you will get a job soon :P
    Good luck Mike.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyGiola For This Useful Post:

    candymanmike (2010-07-22)

  20. #434
    WTF i didnt say anything rude at all, you just were saying why do people charge? so i say to get apps. so instead of me spending money from my bank i can spend money i made from themes.

    and im only a 18 year old, but i still work and pay for this all by myself, and i spend literally hours on my iPod and website. the only reason i charged was to pay for hosting(and apps) and also you get thousands of downloads but only 20 or so people press the thanks button -_- (when u do it for free) also in my case i got banned..

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to PhanaticD For This Useful Post:

    candymanmike (2010-07-22)

  22. #435
    iPhone? More like MyPhone candymanmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MiddleOfNowhere, Wa. a.k.a. the 360
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 88 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by PhanaticD View Post
    WTF i didnt say anything rude at all, you just were saying why do people charge? so i say to get apps. so instead of me spending money from my bank i can spend money i made from themes.

    and im only a 18 year old, but i still work and pay for this all by myself, and i spend literally hours on my iPod and website. the only reason i charged was to pay for hosting(and apps) and also you get thousands of downloads but only 20 or so people press the thanks button -_- (when u do it for free) also in my case i got banned..
    my appologies, i missunderstood your post. i thought you were telling me i could actually pay for apps now that i sold my phone for extra money. i stand corrected and edited those comments from my post. misunderstanding. sorry about that. props, and the hosting IS a good point i had never thought of actually. and i definitely get the thanks count thing. i had one moto pack i made that literally is the most downloaded pack for that phone on MMM for that particular phone model and has over 6,000 downloads on that site alone, but only about 30 thanks. so i get that. and i did have a couple of moments of feeling "unappreciated" myself. i understand people take it for granted sometimes. my biggest beef always was, spending hundreds of hours creating and seem editing features on my packs just to have people want me to help them change the features i took hours figuring out how to activate and patchs that took days to get going properly. lol. i guess that's the nature of people, never 100% happy with anything. and the fact we all have different tastes and what we find important feature-wise. anyway, hope we're all good now. i do appologize for the misunderstaning.
    Last edited by candymanmike; 2010-07-22 at 09:45 PM.
    Visit us on your sister site at www.ModMyMobile.com
    Follow me on Twitter @CandymanMike & on My Blog

  23. #436
    yea its all good. you should have been around for when the ipod video was the big thing. NOBODY charged yet there are thousands of themes. i think i made about 20 myself

  24. #437
    they had themes for the ipod video? :/

  25. #438
    yeh it was epic! the place to be was ipodwizard.net, but now its a graveyard.

    heres my themelist: LINK

  26. #439
    I'm a part of paranoia-dev, and were always making new stuff to help hackers and developers out, in this case theme developers.

    One of our works in progress is ParaAntiThemePiracy, which is a almost pure theme Bash# anti piracy blah blah for theme developers charging for their themes. One of our executables is bash wrapped in Obj-C but, we all know that somebody can buy is and copy' paste the .theme so it might no be affective as wanted..

  27. #440
    Theme Kingpin TCcentex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,787
    Thanks
    1,859
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 882 Posts

    ....well there goes that argument you rascally pirates

    http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...-legal-us.html

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to TCcentex For This Useful Post:

    candymanmike (2010-07-26)

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •