Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [LEAKING] To those who find it acceptable...

Whether or not everyone is a hypocrite is not really the issue to me. I don't think everyone's a hypocrite, I just think we need to realize that jailbreak-land is akin to the black market, and on the black market normal rules of commerce don't apply. On the black market you take what you can get. And usually the people who whine about the rules on the black market are the ones that people stop doing business with.

I appreciate how bars has sort of taken a back seat to this discussion. I think he realizes that it is a bit of slippery slope and it's better to seek common ground rather than yelling "you're stealing". It also makes me a lot more willing to support him in his endeavors in jailbreak-land.

Apple can kiss my booty, right between the cheeks. I personally do not think jailbreaking is piracy, however Steve Jobs and his lawyers do. Ultimately, the courts will decide if jailbreaking is indeed copyright infringement upon which others are capitalizing. But either way, I appreciate everything that all the devs(except the ones who are selling that Halo and Shotgun theme) are doing to make jailbreak-land that much more kick-@ss. Keep up the good work boys and girls.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsontripod View Post
    On the black market you take what you can get. And usually the people who whine about the rules on the black market are the ones that people stop doing business with.
    remember that if you ever travel to mexico and wake up the next morning in a bathtub and missing a kidney.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to floppy_joe For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (2010-05-31)

The thing about it is, You cant stop it... You cant. Im thinking of embracing it with this new theme. I think most people may sh17 when they see what I do....

And just a note... I could give a rats ask if my theme gets "pirated" The only thing that gets me is people who come ask me for support when they couldn't chip in a bit
    Last edited by barsoverbeats; 2010-05-31 at 12:37 AM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to barsoverbeats For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2010-05-31), floppy_joe (2010-05-31), k.nitsua (2010-05-31), TRUCKINLOW (2010-05-31)

i feel the same way Bars. its something thats going to happen no matter what. i have my fans that support me and thats what keeps me going. just knowing that i was able to give someone something that made them love their phone even more makes me think that what im doing as a hobby is not a waste of time.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TRUCKINLOW For This Useful Post:

barsoverbeats (2010-05-31), Bo Troxell (2010-05-31), floppy_joe (2010-05-31), k.nitsua (2010-05-31)

anyone up for antipiracy on themes? i found a way that will get at least the newb stealers

if they steal a theme and they update, it will earase all their music and apps heh heh i am evil

Oh Phanatic, why must you tease. You know that hackers love a challenge. Bring it on.

lol i will bring it, im soo close to releasing my bestest theme and i will be implementing that "security"

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Fish_1; 2010-06-01 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Late to this discussion.

Is it retroactive or do we start....now?

What if someone is set up? There could be Crooked mods.

How many witnesses are required? Does the theme actually have to change phones or is intent enuff to convict? Can I get accidental leak insurance?

If I take a Photoshop class can an infraction be removed from my record?

What if it was in self-defense?

What if my phone gets stolen?

What if I am able to contain the leak?

Ah fish, by removing your post mine doesnt work anymore. Bummer
    Last edited by floppy_joe; 2010-06-01 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Yea, I am way confused by your post lol.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Lol, it was about how someone should be givin an infraction or worse if they are caught leaking

Lol, PhanaticD, very evil indeed. Perhaps you could get their phone bricked? Lol, even better

iPhone? More like MyPhone candymanmike's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barsoverbeats View Post
    The thing about it is, You cant stop it... You cant. Im thinking of embracing it with this new theme. I think most people may sh17 when they see what I do....

And just a note... I could give a rats ask if my theme gets "pirated" The only thing that gets me is people who come ask me for support when they couldn't chip in a bit
    this is an opinion i respect. we are ALL pirates whether you guys want to admit it or not. if we weren't, we would be running stock, non-jailbroken, non-themed iphones on the at&t network. people can't just pick and choose when it's okay to be a pirate. i'm at least 90% positive most of the theme creators (and everyone else here) have at least one cracked app or game on their iphone. i have paid for themes and apps both myself. and i've used cracked apps and themes. i don't refuse to pay for them or anything like that. but i do have a personal opinion that charging for themes and the like kind of goes against the "spirit" of modding. i have created a couple of widgets for iphone, a couple of themes for blackberry and several monsterpacks (which btw contain everything from the firmware and features on the phone to the themes and apps. and i might add take a hell of a lot of work and time to construct) and not only have i never charged for anything, i've never even considered it. simply because, i do it because i enjoy it. like i said, i'm not "above" paying for these things. i have before and i will again. i just don't necessarily agree with charging for them from a personal standpoint (and as someone who has spent countless hours creating "for the people"). but i respect the way bars looks at it. i don't think if you "borrow" a premium theme, you should expect the creator to give you support either. anyway, sorry if my opinions are not popular. but, i have a right to them, and i know for a fact i am not alone in them. i will end my rant reminding everyone that the dev-team gives us a hell of a lot more time, work and effort for free than any paid theme ever has or will.
    Visit us on your sister site at www.ModMyMobile.com
    Follow me on Twitter @CandymanMike & on My Blog

u have a point, if you love what you do, u do it for free, but i think theres a point where some monetary compensation is nice

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PhanaticD For This Useful Post:

candymanmike (2010-06-04)

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

Of everyone did everything they loved for free there would be a lot of poverty or there would be a lot of free stuff and I would be one happy camper haha. But as I have also said themers just gotta be able to see there theme was leaked and be like "Dang oh well there is nothing you can do about it" also I agree with bars if you need stuff sone with the theme and you pirated don't go ask the theme creator for help I mean seriously be respectful haha. If you pirate a movie and it doesn't play right you don't go complain to the director hah. Same goes with big apps like Photoshop or things like that you don't go ask adobe for help when something is wrong.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to santaf For This Useful Post:

candymanmike (2010-06-04)

What's the point in this thread? You'll never stop piracy.. massive companies like Microsoft can't even stop piracy.

The people who download these pirated themes were most likely never going to buy the theme anyway, so what difference does it make? Its not like the theme creators are really losing anything anyway..

You guys need to get over it, if you don't want your theme pirated then don't release it. Simple.

"As im watchin' everyone watchin' me closely"
    Last edited by barsoverbeats; 2010-06-05 at 04:54 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floppy_joe View Post
    Lol, it was about how someone should be givin an infraction or worse if they are caught leaking
    sorry, but that would be ridiculous. the leaking of paid themes has nothing to do with MMi itself. unless you leaked it here. in which case you WOULD get infracted (if not banned) but as far as buying a theme on Cydia and leaking it on a "pirate" site somewhere. has nothing to do with MMi and would be just as wrong to infract the person HERE for something that has nothing to do with HERE. make sense?

i also wanted to point out, i wasn't saying that you should go out and search for cracked themes just to screw over the theme creators and get them all for free. i'm just saying that we are ALL pirates. none of us here is innocent of that "crime". if we were (as i said before) we would be running stock iphones on the at&t network. but we are not. therefore, we all "break the rules". just saying, if you live in glass houses....
    also i still go back to my feeling that modding should be done for the love of it. i think it should all be open source and personally i would never charge for any of my work. and before you accuse me of having no talent, i have created PLENTY of things in the modding world outside of the iphone. i've been around the modding block so to speak. that being said, that is only my personal opinion. and i have no ill feelings and don't mean this as an insult to the theme creators out there. you guys do amazing work. and i know it's time consuming. i have created things for motorola phones that took me all of my spare time for months. that's just part of the hobby to me. and bars, i think you are one of the most talented guys out there. your work is always top notch. i understand where you are coming from on the support side of things. i also understand about the beta thing. leaking a paid theme you bought is one thing, but i think betas should be held. you're not even really doing other people a favor because generally betas aren't "ready" yet.

also for the record, no i'm not one of the people leaking things here. i just have opinions that people seem to think they are "better" than the "pirates" when i believe we all fall into that category.

your quoting me but I never said I think people should be infracted

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floppy_joe View Post
    your quoting me but I never said I think people should be infracted
    guess i misunderstand where you were going with your comment then because "it was about how someone should be givin an infraction or worse if they are caught leaking" sounds like that's exactly what you were saying. were you being sarcastic or is something not worded correctly in your statement?

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast